PDA

View Full Version : 6 week 'report'

venus89
19-10-2009, 05:51 PM
It's that time again - tonight I will be writing up my six week 'report' (:rolleyes: ) for my mindees. Just a couple of questions though (so far!)......

Can I write that a child has excellent communication skills or is this too emotive/subjective?

Is saying that a child often plays with familiar adults as opposed to with other children a valid PSED thing to note? Or is that too negative?

haribo
19-10-2009, 05:56 PM
think the first one is fine . the second one i would maybe miss out the opposed and just say they enjoy the company of familier adults - i try and keep the reports positive but bring up any concerns as i have them so parents arent suddenly faced with them on paper iyswim

MissTinkerbell
19-10-2009, 06:10 PM
think the first one is fine . the second one i would maybe miss out the opposed and just say they enjoy the company of familier adults - i try and keep the reports positive but bring up any concerns as i have them so parents arent suddenly faced with them on paper iyswim

I agree with this - as an ex teacher dab hand at writing reports and you always emphasise the positive and gloss over the negative.

venus89
19-10-2009, 06:32 PM
Thank you both :D x

sarah707
19-10-2009, 06:50 PM
I'd give an example...

He has excellent communication skills because he said x or y to me / another child...

Parents like to feel a glow when told a little story about their child achieving :D

Chanelle
19-10-2009, 06:55 PM
I have had to write so many reports over my years as a childcarer. It is hard not to point out any negative at all, but if you do mention something a little negative then finish with a possitive. If your report was for a transition to another nursery or as they move to school, they will need info that will help them to achieve.

'M enjoys listening to stories, however can find it hard to remain interested for long periods of time.' ... Although negative in a sense it is important information.

It is all about which points you add to your report.

Happy writing :) I love doing my trasitions and doing a 6 weekly report is an excellent idea!

venus89
19-10-2009, 07:04 PM
CD X does not like to get messy and can get upset if he does so. It would be good to see him develop confidence in more messy activities such as painting with the knowledge behind him that he can easily be cleaned at the end of the activity

I plan to introduce more messy play opportunities using mediums which appeal to him in a non messy context eg painting with toy cars. This should help him to take the emphasis away from the messy and increase enjoyment of the activity.

How does that sound for learning intentions for next 6 weeks?

*Thank you Sarah and Chanelle. The little story idea is great but I'm going to have to adapt my forma bit to fit that it - that'll be the pre christmas one! Chanelle, I always call it 6 weekly but it's actually half termly (Maybe I should change the title..... :blush: ) but it keeps parents in touch with the more serious side of what I do> And I HATE doing them :laughing:

sarah707
19-10-2009, 07:22 PM
CD X does not like to get messy and can get upset if he does so. It would be good to see him develop confidence in more messy activities such as painting with the knowledge behind him that he can easily be cleaned at the end of the activity

I am working with closely x to support his concerns about getting messy during messy play. So far we have explored blah blah... and then the rest of what you've put.

Something like that is always better for a parent to read than you telling them what their child does and does not like to do.

In my experience I have found that parents do not like to think you know too much about their child!! :D

venus89
19-10-2009, 07:30 PM
I am working with closely x to support his concerns about getting messy during messy play. So far we have explored blah blah... and then the rest of what you've put.

Something like that is always better for a parent to read than you telling them what their child does and does not like to do.

In my experience I have found that parents do not like to think you know too much about their child!! :D

Lol - good point! Thanks Sarah, I shall go and modify...... x

LisaMcNally09
19-10-2009, 08:24 PM
Can i be cheeky and ask someone for a blank template of their termly/6 weekly report?? I am struggling with how to lay it out???

venus89
19-10-2009, 08:28 PM
Do you want to PM me your email address and I'll try and email it over - it's based on the one the NCMA gave me on my obs assessment and planning course.....

The Juggler
19-10-2009, 09:43 PM

agree with Sarah, keep it/turn it round to positive "he prefers not to get messy, so we are doing xxx"

Chanelle
19-10-2009, 09:43 PM
Do you want to PM me your email address and I'll try and email it over - it's based on the one the NCMA gave me on my obs assessment and planning course.....

:D I would love one too please :)

rachelle
19-10-2009, 10:49 PM
Having a child with a messy issue I've had:

"I am working on xyz with J to help him know it's okay to be messy at times"

and "J was happy today to count to 3 before cleaning his hands, fantastic achivement"

and "J is becoming more interested in our messy play and will now sit alongside us as we glue. We're encouraging him to stick on a range on objects'

(J is now okay with mess so long as he knows where the baby wipes are!:clapping: )