PDA

View Full Version : RECIPE IDEAS FOR SLOW COOKER

angeldelight
19-10-2009, 05:14 PM
IF YOU HAVE A SLOW COOKER CAN YOU PUT YOUR IDEAS HERE PLEASE WITH FULL INSTRUCTIONS ON PREPARING / INGREDIENTS ETC

THANKS

ANGEL XXX

Tam's Tribe
19-10-2009, 05:39 PM
Light pork chilli

Diced pork
Chilli powder (to taste)
Onion, chopped
Stock (enough to half cover meat)
Can of tomatoes
Can of kidney beans
1 x tbsp tomato puree
1 x tbsp cumin
Freshly ground black pepper

Put all ingredients in slow cooker, mix well and leave to cook.

** Quick and easy and very nice! ** . . . my rating :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Tam's Tribe
19-10-2009, 05:41 PM
Chicken and bacon casserole with cripsy rosemary dumplings

4-6 smoked streaky bacon rashers
4-6 chicken breasts
1 sweet potato, peeled and cut into cubes
2 carrots, roughley chopped
1 large onion, chopped
2 tsp Bovril or Marmite
1 tsp tomato puree
½ pint dry white wine
Chicken stock cube

For the dumplings
225g self raising flour
100g shredded suet
2 tbsp chopped fresh rosemary
1 egg, beaten

Wrap a bacon rasher around a chicken breast and secure with a cocktail stick. Season well. Put sweet potatoe, onion and carrots in slow cooker, place chicken and bacon on top. Crumble stock cube over, season and pour in white wine, add tomato puree and bovril, mix well. Leave to cook. About half way through add some cornflour mixed with cold water, you seem to need more than normal in the slow cooker.

** Quick and easy and absolutely DELICIOUS with rice ** . . . My rating :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

The smell will drive you crazy while cooking!!!

angeldelight
19-10-2009, 05:43 PM
Thanks for all of the ideas you have given to me Tam I have just looked through them they sound lovely

Angel xx

Tam's Tribe
19-10-2009, 05:52 PM
You are welcome, and its nice to help someone else for a change (I have had so much advice and ideas from the forum in the last couple of months).

I am looking forward to making stuff OTHER THAN STEWS in my slow cooker, like lasagne, spagbol, casseroles, etc . . . stuff you can prep in the morning and be ready for tea . . . stress free cooking . . . even my boys are asking me what I am cooking tomorrow . . . personally I think they are waiting for me to try the syryp sponge!!!

And dont forget, you can make delicious rice pudding in your slow cooker . . . much better than the best well know brand!!!!

Also, you can make pies as well . . . make the filling in the slow cooker, then just before serving, take the crock pot out of the housing and put puff pastry on the top and pop in the oven!!!

Hope you are convinced to get one, you wont regret it!

I will shut up now . . . as you can tell, I love my slow cooker :D

Lovies
Tam
x

Blackhorse
19-10-2009, 06:09 PM
Slow cooker lamb and tomato stew:
1.2 kg stewing lamb (I have also used less before..but good to make more and freeze sometimes)
2 tbsp plain flour seasoned with pepper
4tbsp oil
2 large cloves of garlic
1 sprig fresh rosmary (have also left this out before as it was raining so much I couldnt be bothered to go into the garden and get it..LOL)
150ml white wine and 150ml lamb or beef stock OR 300 ml stock
1/2 tsp salt
400g can tomatoes
salt and pepper to season

trim lamb and cut into cubes
toss in flour
heat oil in a pan and fry the lamb
then lift into slow cooker pot
add the garlic to remaining oil in frying pan, then add rosemary wine and stock and tomatoes..bring almost to the boil and scrape off all the bits of meat etc from the pan
pour over the lamb
season with salt and pepper

leave in slow cooker (mine doesnt have a heat setting like low or high..so I just leave it for the max amount of hours which with mine is 9)
the recipe says: high for an hour then 6-8 hours on medium

Blackhorse
19-10-2009, 06:37 PM
Rice Pudding

25g butter
100g sugar
100g desert rice
1ltr milk

Grease the pot with the butter (use it all up)
Add the other ingredients to the pot
Stir gently together
Turn the slow cooker to high
Stir occassionally during cooking
Cooking time is approx 2.5hrs to 3.5hrs

when it is to liquidy I have sometimes just opened to lid towards the end to let some steam evaporate...or change my cooking mode to porridge cooking which does the job in no time...as it uses a much higher heat...(as my slow cooker mode doesnt have a heat setting)

Mrs Book
20-10-2009, 08:53 AM
Love my slow cooker. Currently have vegetable pasta sauce in mine.

Have some fab receipies in a slow cook book my mom brought me so will put some of those on. Going to try some of the ones already on here.

But do agree strews, chillis and such like seem to be the norm. This month declicious mag has some slow cooker recipies in it.

Willowdancer
20-10-2009, 08:51 PM
Roast chicken!

1 chicken
1 carrot per person
2 x celery sticks
1 x Onion
1 x garlic bulb
Pack streaky bacon rashers.

Peel carrots and chop into large pieces (either half or in thirds.)

Peel loose skin from onion, top and tail then cut in half.

Remove loose skin from garlic head and cut in half.

Clean celery sticks and cut into large chunks.

Put carrots, celery, onion and garlic in bottom of slow cooker. Wash chicken and sit on top of veg in slow cooker.

Cook on high for 2 hours and then switch to low and leave all day. Remove chicken from pot - brown in oven if you want. Fish out carrots and celery with a slotted spoon. Strain liquid into a saucepan and make gravy with it.

Yum yum yum!! You can crumble a stock cube and rub it all over the chicken which makes it a bit browner but I usually just take the skin off and then boil it up with the bones to make stock :D

I buy an extra large chicken and serve it with mash the first day. I make loads more mash and veggies than I need and then the next day I make what I now call Chicken Coop Pie, which is kind of a chicken version of cottage pie.

Then if I still have leftovers the day after that I do either chicken fried rice or chicken bake, which is kind of like a pasta bake except I use rice instead.

mushpea
02-11-2009, 07:00 AM
there are lots of recipes on www.netmums.co.uk
I do things like bologniase sauce then use it for spag bol and also lasagne, chilli, roast joints, stews , casseroles.
most of the time i do a 'bung it in 'stew so i use any meat i have , today its left over lamb from our roast yesterday, then what ever veg i have in the fridge, think i got carrots, onions, peas, celary and probably a tin of toms, add herbs if you wish and hey presto a medaterainian stew.

FussyElmo
02-11-2009, 11:26 AM
Light pork chilli

Diced pork
Chilli powder (to taste)
Onion, chopped
Stock (enough to half cover meat)
Can of tomatoes
Can of kidney beans
1 x tbsp tomato puree
1 x tbsp cumin
Freshly ground black pepper

Put all ingredients in slow cooker, mix well and leave to cook.

** Quick and easy and very nice! ** . . . my rating :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Guess what I am having for tea later!!!

Cheers Tam :thumbsup:

patevans
15-11-2009, 09:54 AM
How do I make a beef stew using the slow cooker?

LOOPYLISA
15-11-2009, 10:18 AM
How do I make a beef stew using the slow cooker?

I usually throw everything in, litterally

Beef
Potatoes
carrots
peas
Suede
onions, whatever else you wanna add, and leave all day :thumbsup:

patevans
15-11-2009, 10:39 AM
I usually throw everything in, litterally

Beef
Potatoes
carrots
peas
Suede
onions, whatever else you wanna add, and leave all day :thumbsup:

Do I have to put any stock or gravy or water in?

patevans
15-11-2009, 10:43 AM
Just found this one on netmums

Beef stew
"Take 500g of braising steak, cube it and roll in flour, salt and pepper. Fry it off with 1 sliced onion. Add 1 oxo cube and 150ml water. Then chuck into the slow cooker with spuds, carrots, garlic and leeks (or a bag of winter vegetable mix). Cook on slow for 8-10 hours."

daisyboo1980
15-11-2009, 10:59 AM
pork loin

i only reall cook meat in mine as dp doesnt really like caserole

one nice piece of pork loin
cover with 1 bottle of cider
add 3 good spoonfulls of honey
a dash of worseter sauce
a dash of soy sauce

leave to cook for abt 7 /9 hours depending on size
and use the liquid to make a tasty gravy afterwards

sweets
15-11-2009, 11:21 AM
pork loin

i only reall cook meat in mine as dp doesnt really like caserole

one nice piece of pork loin
cover with 1 bottle of cider
add 3 good spoonfulls of honey
a dash of worseter sauce
a dash of soy sauce

leave to cook for abt 7 /9 hours depending on size
and use the liquid to make a tasty gravy afterwards

thats sounds nice, will give it a try.

LOOPYLISA
15-11-2009, 12:36 PM
Do I have to put any stock or gravy or water in?

Oh yes der me :D

I fill to the top with gravy :thumbsup:

LOOPYLISA
15-11-2009, 12:40 PM
We have shepards pie in ours, well the inside :laughing:

Beef Mince, browned off first and fat drained,
Chopped Onions
Carrots
peas, any other veg you like
s&p
Leave in slow cooker all day

Cook potatoes, mash, i sometimes put grated cheese on the top too, then under grill to brown :thumbsup:

Zoomie
15-11-2009, 02:23 PM
I do a ham in the slow cooker.

I love the coca cola recipe : http://www.channel4.com/food/recipes/chefs/nigella-lawson/ham-in-coca-cola-recipe_p_1.html

Carol M
15-11-2009, 03:49 PM
My family love this one
Lamb neck fillets( no need to brown)
couple of tins of chopped toms
mint sauce (as much as you like, if you use lots it turns the meat green!)
couple of spoons of honey
Leave on low all day. Yum Yum
Carol:)

venus89
31-01-2011, 04:32 PM
So after all this time I've just realised that the 'curry cooker' I bought dh years ago that got used twice and then never again is, in fact, a purple slow cooker..... Is there such a thing as being able to cook for too long in the slow cooker? Is there an optimum time for doing things. Or do I just bung it in in the morning, stick it on low and open the pot at dinnertime?

caz3007
31-01-2011, 06:54 PM
So after all this time I've just realised that the 'curry cooker' I bought dh years ago that got used twice and then never again is, in fact, a purple slow cooker..... Is there such a thing as being able to cook for too long in the slow cooker? Is there an optimum time for doing things. Or do I just bung it in in the morning, stick it on low and open the pot at dinnertime?

Thats all I have done today. Stewing steak, lots of veggies, gravy made with granules, bit of garlic and mixed herbs. Put it on about 10am and ate at 5.30.

I had a huuuuggee slow cooker and at the weekend bought a smaller one, soc an do hubby and myself casseroles and to stop us eating other ready meal type things just cos we are tired

venus89
31-01-2011, 08:24 PM
Sounds good :) I never realised you could cook puddings and things in them too. Dh went through a curry making phase, from scratch (back in the days when we had more time....) We quickly realised that a curry cooked longer usually tastes better so I got him a sharwoods curry cooker to help. It came with a recipe book which said to bung a jar of sharwoods sauce in with some meat/fish, a few onions - not cooking, as such, so it got ignored..... Then today I was looking into rice cookers and realised that a rice cooker seems to be pretty much a slow cooker which seems to be what I have in the kitchen. And as I absolutely hate cooking on Friday night, when it has to be all finished by 5 but we've been out in the afternoon and I have 2 LOs to feed, a slow cooker might just be my saviour. But do you trust yours when you're out of the house? Or would you only use it if you're in?

Aimi-jo
31-01-2011, 08:26 PM
I saw a gorgeous looking recipe on 'lorraine' today.
Chicken and chirizo gumbo!! The chef did it in the oven but it can be easily be adapted to go in a slow cooker. I wish i had smelivision lol

http://www.itv.com/lorraine/food/

Twinkles
31-01-2011, 08:28 PM
Chicken breasts
2 tins of ratatouille
1 tin tomatoes
squeeze of garlic puree

leave for ...... ummmm .....a long time

Yummy !

LOOPYLISA
31-01-2011, 08:28 PM
Sounds good :) I never realised you could cook puddings and things in them too. Dh went through a curry making phase, from scratch (back in the days when we had more time....) We quickly realised that a curry cooked longer usually tastes better so I got him a sharwoods curry cooker to help. It came with a recipe book which said to bung a jar of sharwoods sauce in with some meat/fish, a few onions - not cooking, as such, so it got ignored..... Then today I was looking into rice cookers and realised that a rice cooker seems to be pretty much a slow cooker which seems to be what I have in the kitchen. And as I absolutely hate cooking on Friday night, when it has to be all finished by 5 but we've been out in the afternoon and I have 2 LOs to feed, a slow cooker might just be my saviour. But do you trust yours when you're out of the house? Or would you only use it if you're in?

I leave on when im out yes

venus89
31-01-2011, 08:34 PM
I leave on when im out yes

Excellent :D Obviously I'll try it when I'm in first....

Monkey26
31-01-2011, 08:39 PM
On the days i work at the hospital i chuck it all in at 6am, get home from work at 4.30pm (usually staaaaaaaaaaaarving!) and eat :) BRILLIANT!!!

We like:
* chicken casserole - diced chicken, carrots, onions, potatoes and a packet mix :)
* bolognaise - made the usual way, just left to slowly cook all day :) - can later be spag bol, pasta bake, lasagne etc, easy for mindees also.

And our real favourite is:
* veggie sausage winter warmer - veggie sausages, potatoes, carrots, onions, tin of kidney beans in chilli sauce, dollop of musturd, 200ml stock :D - can add extra veggies towards end, peas, sweetcorn, brocolli etc.

Could use a few more ideas so will be keeping a close eye of this thread. xx

sweets
31-01-2011, 08:42 PM
i read they take no more power than a light bulb.

i often leave mine on overnight, a couple of weeks ago i put some stewing beef and gravy in mine, i put it in at 3pm and meant to turn it off before i went to bed but i forgot so it was on till the morning! didnt get up till 10am either. the meat was absolutley gorgeous, just pulled apart

did some chicken thighs in it the other day, never done chicken in it before, they were lovely, the meat just fell off and they were only in about 5 hours. i was suprised that they browned too so will try a whole chicken next time :thumbsup:

venus89
31-01-2011, 08:46 PM
http://crockpot.cdkitchen.com/recipes/cat/89/

breakfast in a slow cooker!

LOOPYLISA
31-01-2011, 08:47 PM
i read they take no more power than a light bulb.

i often leave mine on overnight, a couple of weeks ago i put some stewing beef and gravy in mine, i put it in at 3pm and meant to turn it off before i went to bed but i forgot so it was on till the morning! didnt get up till 10am either. the meat was absolutley gorgeous, just pulled apart

did some chicken thighs in it the other day, never done chicken in it before, they were lovely, the meat just fell off and they were only in about 5 hours. i was suprised that they browned too so will try a whole chicken next time :thumbsup:

Whole chicken is lovely :thumbsup:

mushpea
27-03-2011, 11:22 AM
I have a joint of lamb in mine at the moment, i just put some garlic and rosemary in with it and let it cook all day,, I never put water in with any of my joints , they cook in their own juices and never dry out but the meat comes out lovley and moist and just falls of the bone,, when i do beef i use the juices to make the gravy YUM!
the only problem i have with it is it smells so nice all day!

Heaven Scent
14-04-2011, 01:45 PM
I got one last night and just put some fried off pork loin chops in with carrots, suede mushrooms, onions, leeks, peppers & new potatoes - I used the essence from the pan that browned the chops in and some boiling water to make the stock to cook it all in plus I added thyme, black pepper, garlic, tomato puree, a few drops of tabasco, & Worcestershire sauce & organic stock powder. Can't wait till later to try it!!!

Has anyone got a recipe for a slimming world low syn Rice pudding?

miffy
14-04-2011, 03:07 PM
I got one last night and just put some fried off pork loin chops in with carrots, suede mushrooms, onions, leeks, peppers & new potatoes - I used the essence from the pan that browned the chops in and some boiling water to make the stock to cook it all in plus I added thyme, black pepper, garlic, tomato puree, a few drops of tabasco, & Worcestershire sauce & organic stock powder. Can't wait till later to try it!!!

Has anyone got a recipe for a slimming world low syn Rice pudding?

I did something similar yesterday - bunged everything in the slow cooker in the morning, came back at lunchtime to a lovely meal - mindees ate the lot!!! Enjoy :)

Miffy xx

snufflepuff
14-04-2011, 03:20 PM
I do a cider ham- just put the joint in and pour cider over the top- tastes beautiful!
Otherwise I just do stews. Keep meaning to try other things.

wendy222
14-04-2011, 05:57 PM
when u cook a joint in it do u cook it on low my slow cooker as an hole in the lid does it make any differents

bexter
16-04-2011, 08:01 PM
I have put a slow cooker on my wedding gift list - having read all these delish recipes is making me really hope I get it!!

Spangles
17-04-2011, 08:20 PM
I do loads in our slow cooker, I'll have to come on again tomorrow and add some of the recipes.

This is an easy one though

4 or so pork loin steaks
chopped up onion, pepper, mushrooms
bottle of bar-b-q sauce

Just bung it all in and leave it for about 4 hours on medium - we have ours with rice or potato.

It's very tasty and easy!

We roast a whole chicken too. We put 3 small screwed up foil balls in the bottom of the sc, wash the chicken and dry it, score the skin and rub on mixed herbs or garlic and then bung it in for 1 hour on high then the rest of the day on low. It is gorgeous. The meat just falls off and is really moist.

I also do spagbol with Dolmio sauce and I use the packet mixes of curry sauce, casseroles, etc. They are all fine in it too.

I'll type up some of my other recipes another day - if I remember!

wendy222
26-04-2011, 10:40 AM
that will b great need ideas 2 us my slow cooker xx

juelmer
26-04-2011, 02:10 PM
My fav:

750 g stewing steak, cut into 4cm pieces
4-6 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp plain flour
2 onions, diced
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
3 tomatoes, peeled, seeds removed, roughly chopped
400 ml beef stock
1 tbsp chopped flat leaf parsley
grated rind of half a lemons
squeeze of lemon juice
100 ml soured cream

Season the beef with salt and pepper, then dust in the flour. Throw it all in to the cooker except for the lemon and soured cream. Once cooked stir the lemon rind and juice into the soured cream and serve with the goulash. Gorgeous :thumbsup:

lorraine04
28-08-2011, 02:30 PM
I'm not sure this would be classed as Corned Beef Hash but we love it here.
Basically throw onions, swede,carrots,potatoes,can of tomatoes, beef stock cubes and obviously corned beef in the slow cooker and it's absolutely gorgeous. Any other veg can be used too. So stress free and great to mop up with bread....nom nom nom :)

Greengrass74
28-08-2011, 04:04 PM
Ham cooked in Coca-cola :cool:

If you think this will be utterly revolting, think again! I first tried this recipe a few years ago for Xmas. As far as I am concerned, there is no other way to cook a ham. Don’t pre-judge – just try it, and you too will be a convert.

Just note it has to be full fat coke. :thumbsup:

Monkey26
04-09-2011, 09:09 AM
Off to do a car boot sale this afternoon but had already promised the other half a roast dinner tonight so i have just wrapped some potatoes in foil, chopped an onion and thrown it all in the slow cooker with a whole chicken smothered in butter, salt, pepper and a mild spice mix ... never done this before so hope it works out well! We won't be eating until 6.30 so i'm just going to leave it on low all day... wish me luck!! xx