PDA

View Full Version : Are we registered to teach basic things

specks4
19-10-2009, 05:12 PM
Hi All

A child i look after didnt get into the pre school they wanted to so mum has decided to put off going to school till due to start nursery. I told the mum that i could help the child with some learning like numbers, alphabet, shapes etc. I am doing this already but think mum wanted something more structured. The mum said that was a great idea and would talk about it in more depth at later date.
The mum came to pick child up today and asked if i was registered to teach and something about claiming for 15 hours. I didnt have a clue what she was talking about and just said no.

Can anyone shed any light on this matter

youarewhatyoueat
19-10-2009, 05:15 PM
You need to be an accredited childminder in some areas they will be part of a network, what county are you in someone may be along with better info or ring your cdo.
You will be following the same as the pre-school as in the eyfs or is mum sending to a private pre school, I don't really understand your post, why doesn't mum just go on a waiting list until space available. Is she expecting her child to be taught to read or something before going to school.

uf353432
19-10-2009, 05:15 PM
I think she is checking to see if you are accredited pet, as an accredited childminder she would be able to claim the free school vouchers for her child and you would be paid under the scheme.

Pipsqueak
19-10-2009, 05:18 PM
No by the sounds of it you are not registered then (its being 'accredited' ). you would have to be part of a children come first network and meet the criteria etc

OK think about your plan of attack here - point out to mum that you now follow exactly the same curriculum/framework as nursery,

structured (ie formalised lessons) do not mean that the child absorbs more or is any further forward than a child who doesn't go. bigger provisions have to be so structured because of the amount of children

it is proven that (has recently been in the news) that we are over-burdening our children from a young age and less formal learning and development provisions are just as good if not better.

you are just as capable as any other provision in delivering the learning aspects.

once upon a time - children stayed home with mum, hovering around her skirts and taking part in things that happened in the home..... just like they do with a childminder and I would say that the majority of my generation and older have all learned perfectly well - I went into school (apparently) knowing my abc's. numbers, colours etc.

We need to get parents away from thinking that the only place a child learns is a school-type environment.

sarah707
19-10-2009, 05:25 PM
Very good advice from Pips :D

TheBTeam
19-10-2009, 05:37 PM
Playgroups will not be doing structured learning anyway, they will be learning through play. Even Nursery schools do not 'teach' a child alphabet, writing name etc, they are allowed to encourage and help children who show an interest but they are not allowed to 'teach' in a formal way.

MissTinkerbell
19-10-2009, 06:14 PM
Here here Pipsqueak :D

Did you all hear the Government report last week that we shouldn't be starting 'formal' learning until a child turns 6? Surely thats the whole idea of EYFS - so the Government cottons on way after the event!!!!

specks4
19-10-2009, 06:19 PM
thanks guys. I think she is talking about being accredited so she can claim for the free 15 hours free placement.
Ive spoken to my CDO who said she is going to look into me becoming accredited as im working towards the critria so fingers crossed.

I do think your right though about parents thinking we are different from pre schools and nursery. They need to understnad that we are all working from the EYFS.

Thanks for the advice

ChocolateChip
19-10-2009, 06:50 PM
Looks like you've answered your question, just wanted to add that we had a parent meeting at my dd's nursery the other day, which is now a 'foundation unit', and the lady from the EY dept said that the children would be learning through play right into Yr 1 aswell. One of the dads questioned it and said 'well when do they learn that school is about sitting at desks and working?' and her answer was that it isn't always like that, even up to Yr 6 it is graduated so they gradually play less as they go on.

Sorry that's a bit repetetive, but hope it might help you to explain that to the parent.

Pipsqueak
19-10-2009, 06:53 PM
Looks like you've answered your question, just wanted to add that we had a parent meeting at my dd's nursery the other day, which is now a 'foundation unit', and the lady from the EY dept said that the children would be learning through play right into Yr 1 aswell. One of the dads questioned it and said 'well when do they learn that school is about sitting at desks and working?' and her answer was that it isn't always like that, even up to Yr 6 it is graduated so they gradually play less as they go on.

Sorry that's a bit repetetive, but hope it might help you to explain that to the parent.

There is talk of the principles of EYFS being spread right through school - ie looking at the individual child so each childs learning disposition is catered for, learning through 'play' - meaning that the hands on approach is adopted etc

Where does the parental teaching of understanding what us minders do and the value of play begin - it begins with US:thumbsup:

nikim
19-10-2009, 07:02 PM
please forgive me if i am wrong and sorry for hijacking the post , but my cdo has put me forward for accreditation, so that i can provide the 15 hours of free nursey education a week for 3 year olds , but i have since been told that the government only pays me £8.75 per 2.5 hr session if thats right i will be earning less for more work :panic: , can someone let me know if this is right pls

youarewhatyoueat
19-10-2009, 07:36 PM
Sounds about the right amount thats why I haven't become accredited even though it has gone up slightly.