PDA

View Full Version : over 8 parent/child/childminder agreement

hayleychildcare
19-10-2009, 12:47 PM
Ive never looked after a over 8 mindee before.

I was thinking about writing an agreement up about behaviour etc. But no idea where to start.

Please help me:thumbsup:

grindal
19-10-2009, 12:55 PM
When I used to teach we used to get kids to write behavioural codes of conduct. I used to approach it by asking kids how they liked to be treated by other people in school (which would work in your house too). Then they come up with ideas like not being shouted at, not being talked over, not being pushed around by people who are running. Then you take each idea and turn it into a positive behaviour code. So for example - if they do not like being shouted at, you could say - we will all talk quietly inside the setting. That way they are involved in making the "rules" for your setting, and hopefully will be more likely to agree to them. If the kids are old enough you can then write out a contract which you, they and the parents then sign - so you all know what behaviour is expected.

Chatterbox Childcare
19-10-2009, 12:58 PM
My behaviour policy covers it all

Daftbat
19-10-2009, 01:19 PM
I have looked after loads of over eights and have never had an agreement with them themselves.

When they start i explain my behaviour policy and what i expect from them. They have their chance to talk about it but i emphasise that i am looking for positive outcomes and that the rules are strictly in place for the safety and security of everyone.

ChocolateChip
19-10-2009, 07:52 PM
I'm sure there is one on the Bromley site that you can adapt, I have :D
It's basically like the home/school agreement but a bit simpler. I can send it to you if you want to pm me if you like.

I also have stuck in my hallway Golden Rules and Rules for Older Children which sounds a bit Dickensian, but if I really have to time someone out I ask them to go and sit on the bottom stair and think about which rule they need to remember, it doesn't happen very often.
I just find it useful, especially in the hols when the older ones can get a bit boisterous and forget that there are little ones around, and now that we have to do risk assessments for everything it's handy for evidencing that you take the different age ranges into account and try to eliminate accidents through behaviour agreements, blah blah blah.

mummyof3
19-10-2009, 09:31 PM
Nearly all my mindees are over 8s I have a basic behaviour policy but find just telling them what I expect from them works okay. All my over 8s are angels :littleangel: