PDA

View Full Version : Safety advice needed

newadventure
19-10-2009, 10:08 AM
I have got hubby to hunt out all the cupboard locks and draw locks we have safety gates at the top and bottom of the stairs. I intend to put one on the kitchen door.

Do I need a lock on my washer and cooker? I have an oven lock.

I have some safety film fo myglass doors on cabinets do I need to put corner protecters on my table?

My main question I have a fire but its not gas it just sits on the wall. It can only be actvated by a remote control which will never be at child height will I need a fire guard?

Thanks

Merry-Minder
19-10-2009, 10:32 AM
When I had my reg visit the inspecter reminded me that this is still my home and cannot possibly kit it out, to prevent every single accident, what I could do, was have a good risk assessment in place that recognises any potential hazards and how I am aware of them and recognise that extra supervision is required.
I would get a fire guard to stop any fingers getting trapped - and to stop children poking things into it and breaking it!!

TheBTeam
19-10-2009, 10:37 AM
I do not have any locks on anything in my kitchen, this has been fine through inspections I say that the kitchen is not generally used by children, they are only allowed supervised and by invitation, this was good enough. I also do not have a stair gate on my kitchen door.

I would think that you would need a fireguard as you would need this when the fire was on, if you don't ever use the fire then this may be good enough to tell them but i think that would be more dependent on how pedantic the ofsted inspector was!

newadventure
19-10-2009, 10:54 AM
Thank you I have a 5 month old baby who is in to everything in sight so already had bought a few locks for him. I wont be using the fire whist children are around as i only use it at night whilst kids are in bed and heating goes off. Maybe it might be worth looking into incase fingers get trapped tho.

I havent bought the gate for my kitchen yet because I have my downstairs toilet in the dining part of the kitchen so children will need to access the toilet. I wanna leave it and ask her at my pre reg but worry she may not be happy and it may put my application on hold

Due to my table being in the dining part of the kitchen the children would be in there to eat do certain activities but would always be supervised.

I'm not too sure how to risk assess but that is my next job to look into

Thank you