PDA

View Full Version : GCSE Maths

Pipsqueak
17-10-2009, 05:33 PM
I have to do my GCSE Maths if I want to go onto my 3rd year at Uni.

Any suggestions of who I could study with please????

Blaze
17-10-2009, 05:37 PM
nec /local college....not sure if care to learn do gsce's or not

Blaze
17-10-2009, 05:40 PM
http://www.nec.ac.uk/courses/product?product_id=884&category_id=3303

Pipsqueak
17-10-2009, 05:51 PM
Cheers dear!

Next question - anyone know of any funding available???
(I am going to tap my CDO/Council as well):D

Blaze
17-10-2009, 05:55 PM
As far as I'm aware most counties supply training bursaries:thumbsup: ...but you're gonna have to make a phonecall to your DO / EYCS on Monday!:D

sarah707
17-10-2009, 06:02 PM
Oh good luck! Not my best or favourite subject!! :panic:

Would you like to share dd's tutor every Tuesday night?

You'd be welcome and I'd make you tea :D

The Juggler
17-10-2009, 06:04 PM
Cheers dear!

Next question - anyone know of any funding available???
(I am going to tap my CDO/Council as well):D

as you need it to do EYPS you might get funded through the GLF or just general training budget with your local authority? I am sure that you could do it online but most adult education colleges should offer it. If you have a short academic year (finish in June) I believe you can do it over 4 months, so you could study for it over the summer before the next academic year begins in late September.

Is it your third year next year?

Pipsqueak
17-10-2009, 06:13 PM
Oh good luck! Not my best or favourite subject!! :panic:

Would you like to share dd's tutor every Tuesday night?

You'd be welcome and I'd make you tea :D

oooh please Sarah!!!:D

I HATE HATE HATE maths - did I mention I HATE maths - just the thought of having to do it sends me into panic mode, I am already convinced I will not be able to do it:rolleyes:

Apparently our local college has already started their course and we can't get onto it so its going to have to be online.
Good thinking about doing it over the summer hols.
And yes Juggler next year will be my 3rd:thumbsup:

Roseolivia
17-10-2009, 06:34 PM
Hi Pip, i just started my Maths GCSE in September as was told that if i wanted to progress after foundation degree i needed Maths GCSE grade C. My early years team paid for me to go to college. They use the Adult Education department but i'd already enrolled with Hartlepool college.

nannymcflea
17-10-2009, 07:08 PM
Did you have to prove you had the required grades in english and Maths? I want to do my foundation degree but do not have the maths grade...but also do not have the proof I have O'level english...but I do!

How do they prove either way?

Daddy Day Care
17-10-2009, 07:30 PM
Maths was always my fav subject at school, only got a c at gcse should have been an a really, but i love it

sarah707
17-10-2009, 07:33 PM
Did you have to prove you had the required grades in english and Maths? I want to do my foundation degree but do not have the maths grade...but also do not have the proof I have O'level english...but I do!

How do they prove either way?

somebody somewhere will have proof that you've passed your O level.

it will be recorded by someone... you need to ask at your old school for details of the examining board and contact them.

The usual examining board is -

AQA
Devas Street
Manchester
M15 6EX

www.aqa.org.uk

There are others, which is why it's worth checking with your old school.

Hth :D

Playmate
17-10-2009, 07:43 PM
Well thats just put pay to any ideas of me going any further than a foundation degree then :laughing: I only got a grade 4 CSE in Maths (is there anyone else old enought to remember CSE's?:laughing: ) and there is no way at my age I'm going to even think about doing GCSE!

nannymcflea
17-10-2009, 07:47 PM
Well thats just put pay to any ideas of me going any further than a foundation degree then :laughing: I only got a grade 4 CSE in Maths (is there anyone else old enought to remember CSE's?:laughing: ) and there is no way at my age I'm going to even think about doing GCSE!

Yes me...think I got a 4 too...but I'm still going for it...pushing 40 but I don't care,I want a foundation degree and I want EYPS...more for me to prove I CAN do it...unlike school!

Never too old.:thumbsup:

sarah707
17-10-2009, 07:50 PM

I remember CSEs! I've got a CSE in History! :D

nannymcflea
17-10-2009, 07:50 PM

it will be recorded by someone... you need to ask at your old school for details of the examining board and contact them.

AQA
Devas Street
Manchester
M15 6EX

www.aqa.org.uk (http://www.aqa.org.uk)

Thanks Sarah.:thumbsup:

Playmate
17-10-2009, 07:57 PM
Yes me...think I got a 4 too...but I'm still going for it...pushing 40 but I don't care,I want a foundation degree and I want EYPS...more for me to prove I CAN do it...unlike school!

Never too old.:thumbsup:

Good for you Nanny and Pip I take my hats off to you!

I just feel I've come this far, qualifed and worked as an RGN for 18 years with out it, now doing NVQ 3 in childcare, (despite having previously studied for NNEB) and I'm prepared to study further, but I just don't see why we need GCSE in Maths :rolleyes:

nannymcflea
17-10-2009, 08:02 PM

I just feel I've come this far, qualifed and worked as an RGN for 18 years with out it, now doing NVQ 3 in childcare, (despite having previously studied for NNEB) and I'm prepared to study further, but I just don't see why we need GCSE in Maths :rolleyes:

Me neither,I don't want to teach the subject for flips sake...:laughing:

manjay
17-10-2009, 08:16 PM
I remeber CSE's:rolleyes: Luckily Maths was one of my strong subjects so I got a good O level grade. However no one asked to see any of my certificates when I started my Foundation Degree. I agree it is never too late! I have just passed the magic 4 0 (shh) and I am loving my course. Only major downside is I have no time for the forum:(

Pipsqueak
17-10-2009, 09:00 PM

Its the core skills that the CWDC say that we should have, for EYPs status. GCSE Maths and English is required to go on to do the 3rd year for the full degree and then the route to EYps. I really want to do my third year. Don't know what I am going to do with it yet but at the moment I have something to prove to myself and am throughly enjoying the learning!

ajs
17-10-2009, 09:08 PM

i can beat that i got grade 5 the worst anyone has ever got in my school

Playmate
17-10-2009, 09:16 PM
Yeah! I don't feel so bad now :blush:

I managed to get good O level grades in everything else, but maths just defeated me. I truley believe there is such a thing as number dyslexia. I'm fine with words but numbers are a different matter and I'm getting worse with numbers now that I'm approaching the other side of mid forties :blush:

ajs
17-10-2009, 09:18 PM

I managed to get good O level grades in everything else, but maths just defeated me. I truley believe there is such a thing as number dyslexia. I'm fine with words but numbers are a different matter and I'm getting worse with numbers now that I'm approaching the other side of mid forties :blush:

isn't it called dyscalcula or something like that

Pipsqueak
17-10-2009, 09:21 PM

Ditto Sally, numbers just don't compute at all for me and I still can't get the puzzles like:

a man is a painting a fence, its 5zillion meters (still don't get metres either) long, a paint can holds 5ml of paint how many cans of paint does he need, how much money does he need to count out in 1 and 2 pences and how long is it going to take him if he has a tea break every 5 minutes. WHO CARES - either:
a) hire someone to do it who knows what they are doing OR
b) rip the fence down go to B&Q and start over with a pre-treated and painted blinking fence!

cher25
17-10-2009, 09:51 PM
Just want to say good luck doing the gcse when you get onto it. I didn't do any at school! :eek: Long story why. But ive come a long way to be doing my nvq3 and this brilliant job! Just don't try asking me anything about maths! lol Im utterly useless at that. hehe

jelly15
17-10-2009, 10:09 PM
Iwas rubbish at maths in school CSE grade 2 but years later went to local tech evening classes and got GCSE B! If I can do it believe me anyone can.

Good luck:thumbsup:

Roseolivia
18-10-2009, 08:06 AM

Why are you doing Level3 if you're already NNEB qualified.

Playmate
18-10-2009, 09:50 AM
Why are you doing Level3 if you're already NNEB qualified.

Coz I'm completely stupid!! Hubby needed to do his and most of our childminding group were doing the same course. I did my NNEB in 1980, so thought it was about time I updated. We have now completed 6 out of the 9 units and I have hated every minute of it! never mind we live and learn!

I may go on and do foundation degree once my youngest is in secondry school(year after next :panic: ), but at the moment I think I owe my family some time:clapping:
When EYPS first came in I had ambition and I thought that was the way I was heading, however I'm not so sure now.

Pip: I quite agree with you on the problem solving, i read them and just think: the point is? :laughing:

PixiePetal
18-10-2009, 09:54 AM
isn't it called dyscalcula or something like that

ex mindee is like that and has a tutor helping him now and extra at school :)

I am glad I got my O'level grade C, wouldn't want to do it again now. Bad enough helping DD with hers :laughing:

ORKSIE
18-10-2009, 11:22 AM
I Hate Maths, am completely rubbish at it, and I have always found it a scary subject.
My maths teacher at school gave up on all of us who couldnt do it and put all of her time into the kids that could:(

Playmate
18-10-2009, 05:38 PM
I Hate Maths, am completely rubbish at it, and I have always found it a scary subject.
My maths teacher at school gave up on all of us who couldnt do it and put all of her time into the kids that could:(

My Maths teacher told me I was THICK :angry: Can you imagine him getting away with these days?:rolleyes:

ORKSIE
18-10-2009, 05:41 PM
My Maths teacher told me I was THICK :angry: Can you imagine him getting away with these days?:rolleyes:

Does not do your confidence any good does it, sally:(

PixiePetal
18-10-2009, 05:42 PM

I remember it being that way in a lot of my lessons. Luckily I was one of the ones who 'could' but remember feeling sorry for the kids who were ignored :( It was a while ago now, I am 44.

Looking at DD mock papers now for GCSE maths test she has in Nov, I think I could still manage a C or bit better.

There's no way I could do any more real studying though, way too scary :eek:

ORKSIE
18-10-2009, 05:47 PM
I remember it being that way in a lot of my lessons. Luckily I was one of the ones who 'could' but remember feeling sorry for the kids who were ignored :( It was a while ago now, I am 44.

Looking at DD mock papers now for GCSE maths test she has in Nov, I think I could still manage a C or bit better.

There's no way I could do any more real studying though, way too scary :eek:

I look at my DD maths book :eek: she is very good at maths...Got Mr O's brain not mine :D

Playmate
18-10-2009, 05:53 PM
Does not do your confidence any good does it, sally:(

Not alot :rolleyes: My DD is really struggling in year 9 (what a suprise she must have my genes:laughing: ) and as Pixie was saying more attention is paid to the ones that can rather than those who can't. I'm trying to find her a private tutor, but she won't have a male teacher and I can't find a female one :( Maybe when I do she could give me some tutoring :laughing: In the mean time, I can do my accounts (with a calculator :clapping: ) and thats all I need to worry about :D

PixiePetal
18-10-2009, 06:01 PM
I felt a bit of a freak in my family when I was at school.

Dad was very good at maths and mum at English but they did not do exams in the olden days when they were at school :laughing:

My older sisters got CSEs with one each at grade 1 and rest lower (art and TV studies) Younger brother did the same (CSE 1 in woodwork and rest lower)

How come I got O Levels grade B in english language, C in maths, french, german,cookery,biology, geography, can't remember what else and some lower. Did I get all the academic brains for all 4 of us :laughing: Having said that we all have our strengths in different ways, mine came out on paper.

Oh! - and I did a year of childcare in the 6th form and only got CSE 3 :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: spent most of the time at playgroup doing activities and organising craft table and the teacher was never there anyway. :rolleyes:

Lainey Lou
18-10-2009, 08:56 PM
Hi Pipsqueak, could you do Key Stage 3 (I think) numeracy - its either stage 2 or 3? Its equivalent to a Grade C GCSE Maths?

At my college you can start it any time of the year or online and its free, also it doesn't have to take all year, you could get it finished in a few months (depends how brainy you are!).

Just as idea for you to consider as I was going to do it for nursing as need GCSE Maths which I haven't got but they will accept Key Stage 3 numeracy also as its a GCSE Grade C equivalent.

XX

The Juggler
20-10-2009, 05:56 PM

AQA
Devas Street
Manchester
M15 6EX

www.aqa.org.uk

I know I have maths and english o'level (that's how old I am) but I've NO idea where my certificates are. EDEXCEL will do copies but it costs £30. still easier than resitting!

AnnieM
20-10-2009, 07:30 PM
I did CSE's at school and got a grade 3 in maths, when my DS was 2 (1989) I wanted something to get me out of the house and use my brain so I did GCSE maths and english (got a B+ for both :) ), I was thinking of doing a teaching degree this year and was told that the GCSE's were no good as they were too old and that I would need to either do them again or do an access course, this was by 3 different uni's too... :( I didn't bother as I am 43 now so by the time I would have finished it all I would be 48. :p

Roseolivia
20-10-2009, 08:11 PM
Coz I'm completely stupid!! Hubby needed to do his and most of our childminding group were doing the same course. I did my NNEB in 1980, so thought it was about time I updated. We have now completed 6 out of the 9 units and I have hated every minute of it! never mind we live and learn!

I may go on and do foundation degree once my youngest is in secondry school(year after next :panic: ), but at the moment I think I owe my family some time:clapping:
When EYPS first came in I had ambition and I thought that was the way I was heading, however I'm not so sure now.

Pip: I quite agree with you on the problem solving, i read them and just think: the point is? :laughing:

I thought someone must have told you you had to do it. HAve you learnt anything new from the L3?? I'm just asking because i did the NNEB in 91 and completed the DHC last year and learnt some new things/ things i'd forgotten

Roseolivia
20-10-2009, 08:14 PM

My Maths teacher at school used to throw the blackboard rubber at us if we were misbehaving or hit us with the window opener pole thingy:panic: I was once terrified of getting my fractions homework wrong my dad did them for me and only got 2 right anyway.

FussyElmo
20-10-2009, 08:28 PM
I failed my maths GCSE 5 times got a C eventually!!! The worse was having a twin brother who was good at maths lost count of how many times I was told your brother could do it. Suppose it was the same for him in history:rolleyes: Some teachers have alot to answer for.

ORKSIE
20-10-2009, 08:33 PM
Not alot :rolleyes: My DD is really struggling in year 9 (what a suprise she must have my genes:laughing: ) and as Pixie was saying more attention is paid to the ones that can rather than those who can't. I'm trying to find her a private tutor, but she won't have a male teacher and I can't find a female one :( Maybe when I do she could give me some tutoring :laughing: In the mean time, I can do my accounts (with a calculator :clapping: ) and thats all I need to worry about :D

Well I feel very proud that I can do my accounts...With a little help from Mr Orksie:)

Good Luck finding the right Tutor for your DD:thumbsup:

Playmate
20-10-2009, 09:12 PM
Well I feel very proud that I can do my accounts...With a little help from Mr Orksie:)

Good Luck finding the right Tutor for your DD:thumbsup:

So do I Orksie, I think qualifications can all be a big hype sometimes (especially Maths!) would you ever use what you learn! I managed to qualify and work as an RGN for 15 years and didn't kill anyone with a drug error (well not to my knowledge :D )

Roseolivia - My L3 has been so different from my NNEB, I did mine in 1980, everything has changed so much. I just hate the way NNVQ's are assessed, most of the time I feel like a child :rolleyes: Mind you we have been Guinea pigs, as this is the 1st course our college has been run specifically for CM's and I think a few lessons have been learned.

ORKSIE
20-10-2009, 09:38 PM
So do I Orksie, I think qualifications can all be a big hype sometimes (especially Maths!) would you ever use what you learn! I managed to qualify and work as an RGN for 15 years and didn't kill anyone with a drug error (well not to my knowledge :D )

Roseolivia - My L3 has been so different from my NNEB, I did mine in 1980, everything has changed so much. I just hate the way NNVQ's are assessed, most of the time I feel like a child :rolleyes: Mind you we have been Guinea pigs, as this is the 1st course our college has been run specifically for CM's and I think a few lessons have been learned.

Sally.... My DD is very good at maths, she didnt get Trigonometry(sp) she said to me . "who cares when am I ever gonna use it" This is very true...but she will have to use it....In the Exam!!
She will probably never have to use it in her lifetime, but I can see why she thinks its not relevant to her, She wants to be a " Child Phycologist" (SP)