PDA

View Full Version : Newly Registered

maisiemog
16-10-2009, 05:40 AM
It seems to have taken forever but I am finally registered now, certificate arrived on Weds. I am allowed 5 other children, 2 under 5 as I already have a little girl who's 13 months.

I'm now in the process of getting myself organised to start up properly and would appreciate any advice offered to me. I do have a few questions that I would appreciate answering

1) How have you advertised your business?
2) What sort of things do I need to include in my parent pack?
3) Do I need to register as self employed now or when I actually get children to mind?

I'm sure there will be more questions but for now I thought I'd browse the forum for ideas and hopefully slowly get myself together. Off on hols in a month so was planning to start advertising after that with the aim of starting after christmas???

Looking forward to getting to know you all

AliceK
16-10-2009, 08:22 AM
Firstly congratulations, it's a wonderful feeling isn't it. I got my certificate through in the last week of September after 8 months. As far as advertising goes I put up flyers in the newsagents and also advertised on Netmums and Childcare.co.uk (this is where I got my first mindee from). I also put a free ad on Yell.com and obviously tell as many people as possible as word of mouth goes a long way to helping.
I have an "about me" sheet which tells about me and what I have to offer along with a list of my policies and procedures but not the P&P in any detail. I give this to parents when they come and see me and whilst they are with me they can have a read of P&P etc and show them around the house / garden etc.

Good luck :)

xxxxxxx

PixiePetal
16-10-2009, 08:28 AM
I would advertise now and say places available in Jan. People look ahead quite a way. You don't want to miss out on someone looking now for a Jan start date.

Pipsqueak
16-10-2009, 08:30 AM
1) How have you advertised your business?
2) What sort of things do I need to include in my parent pack?
3) Do I need to register as self employed now or when I actually get children to mind?

Looking forward to getting to know you all

First of all congratulations:clapping: Welcome to Childminding World!

1) there are lots of threads about advertising (put advertising into the forum search bar)
Tell people you meet, get friendly with the local nursery/school teachers, playgroups, hv's and mostly other childminders. Think 'advertise where parents and child goes' - doctors, chemist, dentist etc. some places won't let you advertise though so you need to find ways round it.
Get a t-shirt/hat/bag saying you are a minder. Ask friends and family to carry some of your business cards, put up a flyer in the staff room where they work etc.

2) Parent Pack - a bit about you/family/experience/Setting, a bit of spiel about childminding, my contact numbers
I include a brief overview of my p&p's
examples of activities and outings (photos but observing confidentiality)
copy of my Ofsted report, certificates
think that is it

3)you have to inform HM tax people within the first three months of setting up you business