PDA

View Full Version : Obs & EYFS

It's a small world
15-10-2009, 08:48 PM
Hi not sure if I am on the right bit here but could someone please just check if this is right. Im trying to get my head around the EYFS links...sorry if its long..I have posted something similar before but didnt necessarily link to ages etc. Things starting to improve...mindee not very interested in anythng unless farm related.(age 2.5 -29mths)

Obs:
What did they do: Mindee points at the tree stump and tells me he has seen a 'pider (spider). He laughs and tells me it 'iding' (hiding) and then 'its seep (it's asleep) He laughs again before running off telling T to come and look at the 'pider' (spider)

How did the adult support learning / development: We walk through the woods exploring other places that bugs may hide.Looking under leaves and in bushes where spiders may make webs between the leaves.

Links to EYFS :

PD - movement and space
*Mindee able to stop when running around woods (16-26mth)
*Are excited by own mobility & set own challenges (climbing tree stumps, trying to balance on logs (22-36mth)

KUW -Place
*(16-23mth) Curious about the environment -looking under leaves , in tree stuimps for more 'bugs'

PSED - Self confidence & self esteem
*(22-36mth) Develop confidence in own ability clmbing tree stumps, balancing on logs
*(16-23mth) Explore from the security of a close relationship with a caring and responsive adult - looking for 'bugs' under twigs and in more tree stumps.
*22-36mth) Seek to do things themselves knowing an adult is close by - Climbing

CLL - Language for communication
*(16-26mth) Use single word and twoword utterences to convey simple more complex messages . 'Pider iding, seep (the spider is hiding it is asleep

Language for thinking
*(16-23mth) Able to respond to simple requests and grasp meaning from context - I suggest we lkook under leaves and in more tree stumps

Next steps -
Sing insect songs - incy wincy spider. Look at nature books and name all the different types of mini beasts , Make a mini beast

Next step links to EYFS - CLL / KUW / CD

Next steps why -
CLL - looking at books shows the different types of mini beasts in our world -helps speech by repeating names of mini beasts (spider/woodlouse/ centipede/daddylong legs and so on) singing helps speech)

CD - Make mini beast (incy wincy spider (using toilet roll and egg boxes create waterspout and spider, attach the two together when singing song make spider climb waterspout by pulling string and spider move up)

KUW - Look at spiders in our garden (CLL- talk about different places mini beasts live)

Have picture of incy wincy we made (even though mindee only bothered with it for about 5 nmins before going back to the tractors :( )

Thjngs are improving now !!! first 2 obs (1 a month) are smiliar to that above as mindee not interested in anything unless farm related so not much ccan be said or linked..struggled to get the above . Would this be acceptable by Ofsted??? Is it correct

FussyElmo
16-10-2009, 06:28 AM
It looks great Kerrie however if you struggling to get some of the things you have written down then dont. Ok I explaining this badly. You have linked the ob to the six areas great but I rarely link my obs to more than 2 areas. I only write one next step down as this is then my planning - so on that I would have said try to broaden mindees knowledge of mini bugs.

Sorry dont know if what Im saying is coming across:)

sarah707
16-10-2009, 06:42 AM
That is absolutely brilliant!

What FussyE means is that it only needs to be that detailed IF you want it to be.

You can dumb it down a bit and say the same thing!!

You don't, for example, need to link a KUW obs about spiders to movement unless you want to! If you're short on PD obs this month, then of course, get it linked and show you are observing a range of different things.

Alternatively, you can have a tick list of all the Eyfs areas of L & D so that you are not writing them out every time....

OR a friend of mine uses codes PSED1, PSED2 etc and ticks and got outstanding recently.

Apart from that, your obs, next steps progression is fab! :D

angeldelight
16-10-2009, 06:47 AM
Very informative Kerrie

Well done

Angel xx

Ripeberry
16-10-2009, 08:06 AM
This is great! I got back last night from a CM meeting with lead CMs and was a bit upset that I just could not understand the concept of 'planning' then I came on-line and saw what you did and thought 'WOW!' Now everything makes sense :thumbsup:

It's a small world
16-10-2009, 09:57 AM
Thank you everyone. I feel so proud of myself now and think I have the hang of it. Understand dont need to link to all so will cut down a bit. Its really difficult to link to a few goals as after 5 mins reverts back to farms. Thanks again things now coming together..

So proud of myself :clapping: :clapping:

It's a small world
16-10-2009, 10:00 AM
That is absolutely brilliant!

What FussyE means is that it only needs to be that detailed IF you want it to be.

You can dumb it down a bit and say the same thing!!

You don't, for example, need to link a KUW obs about spiders to movement unless you want to! If you're short on PD obs this month, then of course, get it linked and show you are observing a range of different things.

Alternatively, you can have a tick list of all the Eyfs areas of L & D so that you are not writing them out every time....

OR a friend of mine uses codes PSED1, PSED2 etc and ticks and got outstanding recently.

Apart from that, your obs, next steps progression is fab! :D

Thanks Sarah I have a tick list and then a seperate page with boxes where I explain why they link to that area.

Cant stop smiling now :clapping:

Rubybubbles
16-10-2009, 11:21 AM
brilliant well done:thumbsup:

I would put it onto a topic web for mini beasts then have 6 areas for learning and add everything into each box! I like topic webs they a a great quick overview:D