PDA

View Full Version : I need some advice

Rose Tyler
15-10-2009, 05:19 PM
I wonder if anyone out there can help me!! I have been a childminder for five years now, for the last 4 years I have been looking after a mindee, the child has been with me since 6 months and has always flourished in whatever we have done, until they went to preschool, the mindee is now at full time school, during the last 2 years the mindee's communication with anyone has gone down hill, they show no emotion, doesnt communicate with anyone unless wanting something (a drink for example). The mindee will communication with children younger than themselves, but noone older... I have spoken to the parents several times about my concerns and they just seem to laugh it off and say nothing is wrong... I begun to question my abilities as a childminder, but having bought up 2 children of my own and countless other mindees who have always spoken to me, I dont think it is my fault. I dont know what to do anymore, everything i try doesnt work. I have always treated the children in my care as if they were my own... I am at my wits end.... HELP!!!!

Pipsqueak
15-10-2009, 05:24 PM
have you broached the school? (do you have parental permissions for this?)

you could talk to a health care professional about your concerns (without identifying the child) and get some more info.

I would start to document it all as well and approach the parents again

and it sounds like you really care and have done lots with the child(ren) in your care - do not blame yourself, there is only so much anyone can do

jaja
15-10-2009, 05:25 PM
have you spoken to the parents? i would try speaking to them, write your concerns down and try getting the parents to openly talk about what is happening or has happened... has anything happened apart from school? is he being bullied at school? my son went quite when he was bullied and it took alot of time and patience to finally get the answer out of him....

sending hugs xxxx

Pauline
15-10-2009, 05:55 PM
I'm just going to move your question to Minding Chat, as you will get more replies there as this section is for problems with the forum. :)

The girls and boys here will give you great advice. :thumbsup:

green puppy
15-10-2009, 05:58 PM
Have you ever heard of selective mutism? Not for one minute suggesting thats the problem but might be worth googling to find out about it.

Rose Tyler
15-10-2009, 07:33 PM
I have heard of selective mutism, and I have done some homework on it!!! I thought mindee could suffer with it, I have spoken to the childs nursery teacher b4 she went up to reception and she told me that the child only spoke when wanted something there, and that she saw us all as commodities, that didnt help much as you can imagine...The child struggles to recognise words in a book, but sails through their keywords that they bring home from school..... The older sibling also comes to me for care after school, she was very quiet, but is beginning to come out of shell with the help on a Jack Russell called Missy LOL...:)