PDA

View Full Version : Calpol /sick child advice needed

lissy
15-10-2009, 11:48 AM
Hiya hopeing for some advice asap please

mindee (8mths) has had a croupy sounding cough for the last couple of days and was brought in this morning along with a bottle of calpol and said she hadnt had a good night last calpol was 3am.

Mindee has slept for most of the morning (i took her to a garden centre so we could walk around and she could at least rest in the pushchair if not sleep) we came home and shes had lunch which she ate but now is crying her little eyes out bless her.

Question is would you give calpol and what would you say to parents?? I have 2 other kids tomorrow and kind of feel like saying if baby needs comforting all day then its not fair on the other children, but dont want to pee parents off at the same time??

Any advice?

LittleAcorns
15-10-2009, 11:53 AM
Hi Lissy, poor you and poor baby,

what did the parents say about the calpol? if the last dose was at 3am then she could have some more, but did parents sign the permission form, I would ring the parent now and get verbal permission over the phone and have paperwork ready for collection

explain to them if shes poorly to the point she needs more attention then I would sxplain to the parents that you are unable to take care of her xx

suzyblue
15-10-2009, 11:59 AM
I would give her the calpol (presuming you have a hundred forms filled out to cover this!) and then speak to her mum/dad about your concerns when they pick her up. Maybe they could see how she is tonight and if they really need to bring her in to you (because of meetings etc at work) let them know that you may have to ring them to collect her if she is not happy. Maybe suggest they get her checked out at the doctors too. Good Luck!

Goatgirl
15-10-2009, 12:00 PM
Hi Lissy,
Do you have a policy for giving medication? and a permission slip signed by parents to agree you can give it?
I have both, so in the same situation would give the calpol and ask parent to sign at pick up. Not so sure if you don't have the permissions in place - perhaps you can call and record the verbal agreement, or text and keep the reply though that could take longer, then get parent to sign that at pick up too, attatch it to the sheet they sign for when and how much calpol was given etc.

It may be that little one will feel much better with regular calpol administered and not need to be comforted all day. If you think she will need your constant attention though, do not feel bad about refusing care. you have a duty to all the children in your setting to make sure they all get what they need. If one child's illness has a negative effect on all the others you are right to ask parents to keep her home until she is back to normal.

bws,
Wendy :)

Louise_Oaktree
15-10-2009, 08:16 PM
My policy is no medicine that is not prescribed by a doctor, and so no calpol here I am afraid :o

Sounds to me like if you cannot comfort her she should be at home with her parents...I would have phoned for them to collect her TBH

Hope you sorted with parents on collection about what to do tomorrow.

bibi571
15-10-2009, 09:36 PM
My mindee had croup 2 weeks ago, if it is truly croup then they will need a dose of steroids? He had the proper stridor sound that you get with croup. It was actually quite scarey to witness.

This is quite a good website:

http://pediatrics.about.com/cs/commoninfections/a/croup.htm

Barbara x :littleangel:

Pipsqueak
15-10-2009, 09:40 PM
by the sounds of it the Calpol isn't doing the trick and I would be sending the child home - they are not joining in with the normal routine