PDA

View Full Version : Nappy change nightmare!

Alz
15-10-2009, 11:12 AM
I had a terrible time changing X's nappy this morning. It was a very full poohy one and god knows where it all ended up in the end as I just could not get her to lie down or be still for any length of time! I'm so not used to this as my DD is not too bad at nappies...

I feel bad for little X as she was crying all the way through !:panic:

Please, please does anyone have any tips/advice.....I feel like such a rubbish minder that can't even change a babies nappy!

I need to get my confidence back!

specks4
15-10-2009, 11:18 AM
aww it sounds like you have done the best you can, its always hard when little ones move around.
Maybe you could give her something to play with while changing distracting her from the moving.

practice makes perfect:)

Alz
15-10-2009, 11:20 AM
Thank you!!

It's the practice bit that scares me.....good job I have borrowd my sister's carpet cleaner...think it may come in handy!!:eek:

daisyboo1980
15-10-2009, 11:24 AM
i have one like that and what i do no to stop the wriggling and crying was to move the changing mat up on to the sofa and she lies so still now not sure if its because she up high plus i give her something to hold hope it get better for u and dont worry u'll be grand

cabby
15-10-2009, 11:25 AM
i had one lo who was a complete nightmare when having his nappy changed:mad:
i found by keeping certain toys for changing times only really helped, there was one particular toy he loved, so i would only let him have it when he layed down on the mat:blush: :blush: i know it seems mean but it worked:laughing: it would buy me a few minuets to get him cleaned up:clapping: :clapping:

candy cat
15-10-2009, 11:26 AM
My daughter has started this and i point my finger and tell her 'no' really firmly then i distract her with the talc.pot of cream,or a toy that i know can be washed just in case the worst happens....I think even at 1 they sense when you are cross.This isn't being cruel as you can't have poo all over the place.....What would enviromental health say??:laughing: For a week i would be really consistant,be prepared so you have everything ready and HOPEFULLY gradually she will learn that this is how we behave when it is nappy time. cx

sarah707
15-10-2009, 11:51 AM
I have this at the moment as well. Mum laughingly said he twists away for nappies, isn't it funny..! :rolleyes:

I put my hand gently (so he can feel it) on his tummy and say 'wait' in a calm, firm voice.

I don't do anything until he has stopped twisting, then I go back to the nappy.

I do this as many times as necessary during the change until the change has finished.

It is working as well! He still cries but last time he was here he did lie still :D

madasahatter
15-10-2009, 12:25 PM
I've always sung songs whilst nappy changing. The first one is the smelly bum bum song...to the tune of 'Feeling hot hot hot' by Buster Poindexter

Olay olay olay olay
Smelly bum bum bum
Olay olay olay olay
smelly bum bum bum

Amazing how soon children learn to join in with the bum bum bum bit and tell me when they've done the business IYSWIM

Then we always do 'round and round the garden' before I unfasten the nappy, once again after putting on the clean one.
Then we do 'this little piggy' and 'How big is X....sooooo big'

Even the most wriggly child seems to calm down

PixiePetal
15-10-2009, 01:14 PM
I have this at the moment as well. Mum laughingly said he twists away for nappies, isn't it funny..! :rolleyes:

I put my hand gently (so he can feel it) on his tummy and say 'wait' in a calm, firm voice.

I don't do anything until he has stopped twisting, then I go back to the nappy.

I do this as many times as necessary during the change until the change has finished.

It is working as well! He still cries but last time he was here he did lie still :D

Just like training a puppy. I do the same :)

Zoomie
15-10-2009, 03:57 PM
I used to give my DD a sticker to play with. :)

Alz
15-10-2009, 03:59 PM
Thank you all so much for your replies!!!...lots of things to try tomorrow!! :thumbsup:

I think that because I just want to do this right and be a good childminder that I was more annoyed with myself than anything.....I know I should prob go easier on myself!

The little one had been grizzly all morning and whatever I did didn't seem to comfort her....then I want to change her nappy...no wonder she wasn't happy!

If it was my DD being like that I would have done all the things you guys have mentioned anyway...I think it's a big case of me "trying too hard" and I just need to CHILL OUT!!!! :cool:

Maguiresmonkeys
15-10-2009, 06:37 PM
Olay olay olay olay
Smelly bum bum bum
Olay olay olay olay
smelly bum bum bum

:laughing: will be singing this tomorrow! Love it! :laughing:

little daisies
16-10-2009, 05:19 AM
hang upside down on the washing line and preesure hose them down:laughing:

primula
18-10-2009, 06:59 PM
thats a great idea! will be singing that too!!:jump for joy:

sweets
18-10-2009, 07:03 PM
We say "bottom" in my house not "bum":blush:

Tried singing it with the word change but it doesn't sound quite right!:laughing:

Minstrel
18-10-2009, 07:49 PM
We say "bottom" in my house not "bum":blush:

Tried singing it with the word change but it doesn't sound quite right!:laughing:

In my sons nursery home communication book his teacher has written ' H has been complaining today that his bum hurts. I have asked him if he means his bottom hurts? But he insists its his bum that hurts. I have reminded him that we say bottom at school. I hope his bottom is better soon.'

Me and OH wet ourselves laughing at this for about 3 days!

Merry-Minder
19-10-2009, 11:24 AM
My 'wriggly one' loves singing, so we sing songs with actions, this keeps his hands busy too - great when little boys get inquisive about their 'bits'!

uf353432
19-10-2009, 04:49 PM
Yep I sing too - Wind the Bobbin up with legs instead of arm actions as an example - and counting as well seems to be quite effective. But mostly singing.

Alz
19-10-2009, 06:36 PM
hang upside down on the washing line and preesure hose them down:laughing:

Hummm...always an option!:laughing: