PDA

View Full Version : Were your mothers day gifts appreciated?

cathchad
29-02-2008, 08:12 PM
Hi,
I was just wondering,how all your Mothers day gifts/cards went down with parents..i sometimes feel a little bit deflated after all hard work i put in and sometimes all i get it is the card shoved inside a bag...and parent rushing off.
Dont get me wrong its not all my parents..
has anyone else come across this.
Cath.xx

avril
29-02-2008, 08:13 PM
Not sure yet as sent them home with Dad but hopefully they will be appreciated!!

Avrilx

berkschick
29-02-2008, 08:15 PM
I didnt do cards, I did handprint pictures around a photo of the child and then laminated it before wrapping it up! Hopefully I will get some thanks next week, you never know!

allinatiz
29-02-2008, 08:16 PM
They seemed to be. We made a card at playgroup and I did handprints and a poem at home. I had to write the poem (with my own hand! :eek:) as I need to replace the ink in my printer and mum said that things are so much nicer when they're done by hand :jump for joy:

Twinkles
29-02-2008, 08:16 PM
I think they were appreciated! Especially the handprints I did with the eight month old, dad loved them and said he will surprise mum with them on Sunday.

crazybones
29-02-2008, 08:17 PM
One seemed appreciative and even offered to pay for the "diamond" earings that her son was insistent on. The other shoved it in her coat pocket as she left :rolleyes:

Annie x

Pauline
29-02-2008, 08:18 PM
out of 5:

2 moderate interest
3 ecstatic and thanked me for taking the trouble

:)

cathchad
29-02-2008, 08:21 PM
I too did the handprint with glitter and poem and laminated.....
Last year i made mini bouquets of flowers from sweets...noe they went down well...although the mindees wanted to eat the sweets as soon as mum turned up!!!

Lou
29-02-2008, 08:24 PM
Simple answer.....nope :mad:

angeldelight
29-02-2008, 08:27 PM
One parent nothing

The others we hid in their bag and told dad it was a secret

Kids were excited though so thats all that matters and they had fun making the cards etc

So it made it worth while even if they do get thrown in the bin

I took pics too

Angel xx

Monkey1
29-02-2008, 08:29 PM
Same here! Dont know why we bother to be honest! One mindee had been eying up the cakes we made for mum all afternoon and by the time she had left she had eaten three of them! I always make something for E to put on his mums grave at birthdays, xmas, mothers day etc, dont know if it gets there! I get a thanks but thats about it! With the trouble that goes into, making sure its the right wording etc......

cathchad
29-02-2008, 08:42 PM
:panic: Roll on Easter thats what i say!!

button68
29-02-2008, 08:44 PM
I too did the handprint with glitter and poem and laminated.....
Last year i made mini bouquets of flowers from sweets...noe they went down well...although the mindees wanted to eat the sweets as soon as mum turned up!!!

Ooooooo... how do you make them??

Rach30
29-02-2008, 08:46 PM
I did cards with the two littlies (18mnth & 14 mnth ) i got the to do some paintings with their hands and then i cut it out with wiggly scissors and stuck it to a card , inside i used that mothers day paper form sparklebox and stuck each childs hand print in . They were in envelopes so both mums have to wait till sunday but they were both really cuffed that we'd made the effort. They are both foundation stage teacher so have been making mothers day cards with their classes and i think they appreciated being the parents recieving one for a change :) was all a bit last minute and i nearly didn't bother but i'm glad i did now :thumbsup:

Schnakes
29-02-2008, 08:52 PM
My two social service littlies werent very interested in making cards for their mum (who can blame them!!) but the mum seemed really happy so???

All the other mums seemed well chuffed though...= happy childminder!! :)

I did quite a lot this year. Last year I just did cards, but I had so much stuff left over from Valentines Day, we had a bit of a Mothers Day extraveganza!! All the dads are going to be miffed when it gets to Fathers day!! Heh!!! Little do they know Im just using stuff up!! :laughing:

Sx

Banana
29-02-2008, 08:53 PM
Yes.

Happy mummys. I even had Isabelle make me one too, thats 2 she made me now...at least if Richard forgets to get her a card from me I have one she made personally

x

cathchad
29-02-2008, 09:12 PM
Ooooooo... how do you make them??

Basically you get some wooden skewer(adult supervision required!!!)take some small sweets,liquorice allsorts are great, also jelly babies, haribo...that sort of thing, put them on the end of the skewers,you can also put one on top of another,then gather up skewers with sweets on(as though you are really flower arranging, when you are happy with arrangement secure skewers with an elastic band, i then wrapped them in flowery paper...jut like a florist...they did look good and very effective.
Cath

peggy
29-02-2008, 09:14 PM
Hi,
I was just wondering,how all your Mothers day gifts/cards went down with parents..i sometimes feel a little bit deflated after all hard work i put in and sometimes all i get it is the card shoved inside a bag...and parent rushing off.
Cath.xx

yep i've spoken to both my mindees mum since we gave our cards out and not a word of appreciation! Happened at Valentines Day too - and both mums complained of not getting anything from their other halves!!!!! Ho hum!!

crazybones
29-02-2008, 09:19 PM
I have just had an 8 year old in tears at the top of the stairs. :panic: "I need Dad". Dad goes up and apparently he has left his Mothers Day Card for me in school. Dad has told him they can sort something special together tomorrow so I will have to be double impressed with whatever I get. Poor baby.

Annie x

Hopscotch
29-02-2008, 09:20 PM
They sound great, have you got any pictures?.
We made cards , i done a handprint poem with their handprints at the bottom and laminated them. we also decorated some mugs that i bought from the childminding shop they were a great buy £1.25 each.
All parents really pleased with it all.
Although last year we made bunches of flowers for different parents and they wernt too bothered.
Bev X:D

Cheeky Chops
29-02-2008, 09:21 PM
my 6 yr old niece made something for her mum (my sis in law) at school, when she got home she walked everywhere backwards with this card thingy behind her back!! hehe it was so cute!! aw bless!! I have no kids at the mo and so have not done anything motherydayish!! hehe if thats a word!! xx

Schnakes
29-02-2008, 10:08 PM
Cathchad - that sounds lovely....but doesnt that kinda go against our whole healthy eating/good dental hygene thing?? :D

Sx

angeldelight
29-02-2008, 10:38 PM
Yeah s but they are for mom

Mom can eat what she likes - its mothers day after all

haha

xxx

mamapink
29-02-2008, 11:31 PM
I have just had an 8 year old in tears at the top of the stairs. :panic: "I need Dad". Dad goes up and apparently he has left his Mothers Day Card for me in school. Dad has told him they can sort something special together tomorrow so I will have to be double impressed with whatever I get. Poor baby.

Annie x

oh that was so sweet of him you know he has put so much thought into making you feel happy that he is sad that he has forgotten it maybe you can tell him about the childminding day someone is starting up!
i have both my girls banning me from hoovering their rooms today and they are going to do it tommorrow so guess where my cards are hidden
it will the first mothers day i have not worked i normally help out in mother in laws florist,
i am not childminding yet but had my cousins 7 month in the half term and we did hand and feet paintings dad hid them so waiting to see if he claims credit

bye pink:o

Shirlwith3
01-03-2008, 06:53 AM
I mind just the one at the moment I don't even get a thanks, at christmas i gave a present for C and we made mum & dad a present & not even a thank you from them I gave my part timer a present before he left me in Dec for xmas I got a thank you Isla was given a present and they ven texted me on christmas day. So this year I just did a card just feel why bother.
It was by birthday on Wed and I bumped in to my old part timer & his mum and mentioned it was my birthday the day before and guess what 4 hours later she is at my door with chocolates and a card.

Shirl

LittleMissSparkles
01-03-2008, 08:36 AM
no sure to be honest, the kids loved what we did, we decorated mugs and made a picture frame with photo in and did cards, one mum just said 'oh lovely' one really loved the photos I could tell but no one else bothered... same at valentines and christmas, no or very little thanks, there was 1 parent at christmas that didnt even give me a card ( my 'friend' ) x

miss muffit
01-03-2008, 08:55 AM
Hi i was quite surprised a mum text me to say how much she loved the poem and hand printed mothers day card of her little one and that she would treasure it forever, I can count on one hand how many times i have been thanked tho, sometimes it can be worth while K :) :) :)

LittleMissSparkles
01-03-2008, 08:57 AM
Hi i was quite surprised a mum text me to say how much she loved the poem and hand printed mothers day card of her little one and that she would treasure it forever, I can count on one hand how many times i have been thanked tho, sometimes it can be worth while K :) :) :)

that is lovely isnt it, its nice to be told its appreciated xx

Heaven Scent
01-03-2008, 12:15 PM
I did daffs for St Davids day using green Lolly sticks, eggcartons and yellow paper petels (-I cant spell this morning) sooooo easy all kids had to do was paint andglue had to help babies a bit though (9&15mths) with holding egg cartons but they did well slopping paint on. It went everywhere. Then in afternoon I was going to make bunch of flowers with pipe cleaners and tissues circles - trouble was circles weren't tissue but quite stiff paper had to quickly re-think very quickly so decided on making cards with one flower on front ended up making one like that with bro and sis handprints inside making a flower and then I wrote in it. For 9mth old - just made a card with 1 handprint on outside and glued some butterflies and leaves to it and let him rub them in his mum was over the moon with it all and she said she'd keep it for ever - they are such a lovely family. - Dad of other two was OK not great but he has always left everything they made before here so I started putting it in their bag and he takes them out again so I don't bother doing much for them to take home I wll save it up and give it altogether like I used to do when I was teaching and the difference that makes to parents is incredible - It won't work with seasonal crafts but good for the others.

Celine:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Mollymop
01-03-2008, 12:22 PM
They all sound really great and I would be really pleased if my little one bought home what you have all mentioned above.
Unfortunately Caitlin has got sickness and had to have Friday off pre-school so i will have to wait till Monday to get my Mother's Day surprise!

yummymummy
01-03-2008, 01:30 PM
Made cut out handprint cards for all three families but just put into their bags, so mums didn't really know on leaving me. But if their birthdays and christmas is anything to go by it is not even usually acknowledged except by the mum of my littlee who only comes one day a week! :(

susi513
01-03-2008, 02:27 PM
We made candles, which mostly ended up looking rather phallic. :eek: Which so far has not been commented upon!

One 2 year old and a 3 year old were very interested in writing and put a lot of effort into their letters and I was thrilled at the results. We also had some beautiful fingerprint flowers and sequins on the front and little drawings inside.

But I was disappointed at the reaction of one dad. He was quite negative, saying mum's going to get 4 cards, and the tone of voice was quite the opposite to what I had expected. I suppose he might have somehow seen this as my lack of faith in his ability to assume the responsibility? I can't seem to do anything right this week. I do mothers day & fathers day cards every year with the children, its meant to add to the child's excitement and enthusiasm for the day (as well as great handwriting practice :) ) and not intended to take over/stomp all over the family's own plans/methods of celebrating.

yummymummy
01-03-2008, 02:33 PM
Grr how ungrateful Susi :angry: Doesn't he see the pleasure his child gets from the achievement of making mum a card itself! Take no notice, it was a lovely thing for you to do, well done! :littleangel:

Tatia
01-03-2008, 03:37 PM
We did handprint cards with a little poem and stickers and whatnot. The 10 month old's mother was really thrilled with it (his had footprints as well, hehe). She was very touched as she is a single mother and unless she bought her own card, wasn't going to have one at all, you know?

I was so sad for my 2 1/2 year old. When his mother came to get him, he grabbed the card and gave it to her and was smiling and so excited. She sat it down. Then he picked it up again and opened the envelope himself to give to her and she stuffed the card back in without looking at it, said "I'll look at this on Sunday" and stuck it in the bag. His poor little face just fell. He had worked really hard on it and was eager for her to see it. I wasn't disappointed for me but for him, bless him. Even my husband commented how bad he felt for the little guy, pointing out that he doesn't understand what Sunday means.

susi513
02-03-2008, 12:17 PM
Just had an overwhelming enthusiastic THANK YOU from a delighted mum I bumped into in Tesco this morning. She was over the moon at her daughters handwriting, cos she could actually read it said "To Mum". It was fabulous writing for a 3 year old. She couldn't quite believe I hadn't held her hand to guide it while she wrote. Lots of hugs and we both got weepy! Silly really, I'm so emotional about the little things!

I feel chuffed to bits now. Well worth it, after all.

Now, I've got to go & get ready, going for a chinese meal with lots of family so time to get the glad rags on ! (If I can find any, forgotten what they look like!)

Annie_T
02-03-2008, 09:51 PM
well i went to work at 6am this moring (i help in a race shop while my fella is racing on the track) and i ended up looking after my bosses kids with his wife - was amazed at how laid bk she was with letting me look after them and play etc - shes offered to write me a referance too which is nice (to stick in my portfolio)

i came home to empty house but once my kids got bk form their dads i got soem flowers, 3 cards and lots of hugs and kisses :D

i went see my nan and mum in law to be and my mummy with their stuff - which kids gave to them for me...other wise they would of been screaming place down lol.

im really pleased my kids made me cards - i dont mind not getting any present (i know flowers were pressie but u knowwot i mean)

main thing is i have my kids - WHAT MORE DOES A MOTHER NEED:)

Rasharoon
03-03-2008, 10:23 AM
As I only have children after school, in the mad rush I got them to make a card then colour in and decorate a bookmark. I wrapped up the bookmark adding a few chocolates. Hardly any effort was made by 3 of the 5 children (the older two didn't want to do it as they bought a card!). Well seeing one of the mum's this morning of the two girls, not even a thank you. I asked the girls if mummy liked her card and present and all I got was a mumbled 'yes'. I ask myself why I bother.
Me on the other hand got a box of chocolates and some handmade crafts from my two boys, some perfume from my partner then he took us out for a meal. Lovely.

sarah32
03-03-2008, 10:28 AM
We made the flowers and I put the childrens photos in the middle, had to put them in the bag as raining when mum collected them, she came this morning with no mention.:(

Mickey Mouse Clubhouse
03-03-2008, 11:54 AM
One mum was really pleased as we gave them all a bunch of daffs as well and the other parent just went oh very nice in a horrible way and I just think why do we bother sometimes.

Oh well Easter to look forward to now.

Lorraine xx

avril
03-03-2008, 12:00 PM
I mind x2 one of which is off sick so no feed back the other NEVER says thankyou for anything we make and take home which makes my blood boil as the child I mind NEVER says thankyou either unless you drag it out her:angry: :angry:

Manners don't cost anything to they!!?

Now I've had my moan of the day I feel better :laughing:

Avril x:)

emler
03-03-2008, 12:04 PM
There was no mention of the Mothers Day gifts we made from any of the mums today :(
Its a bit disappointing as the kiddies had so much fun making cards, decorating little jewellery boxes and choosing photos to go in lovely frames. It would have been nice to have had at least one thank you!! The main thing is the kids loved doing them

Emler x

taiwallis
03-03-2008, 01:05 PM
i got a special text from one mum to say it was so amazing it would go in the child's special box for when it was older! A memory box i think she called it - nothing from anyone else and also nothing from my son, a card i made wtih my daughter!!! Good huh!!!

Blaze
03-03-2008, 01:09 PM
In a word...NO!:(
Tasha:rolleyes:

jo f
03-03-2008, 01:21 PM
I got a nice text on mothers day from one parent thanking me for the effort, it made her day.

The other mum thanked me today said it was lovely

It makes such a difference when your effort is acnowledged and appreciated

ma7ie
03-03-2008, 02:09 PM
I got a thank you, so that was nice. :)

miss muffit
03-03-2008, 02:23 PM
Hi Avril

moan all you like

You are right

Manners don't cost anything to they!!?

K:) :) :)

JO S
03-03-2008, 09:51 PM
No thanks from any of mine either!!
Never mind I was chuffed to bits with the stuff my kids made for me at playgroup, school etc!

Jo. x

sarah707
03-03-2008, 10:04 PM
I asked one mum when she collected ... 'oh yes', she said, 'they were lovely, thank you...'

The rest didn't comment - but hey! The little ones had fun making them! :D

honey
04-03-2008, 10:35 AM
Hi,
Cath.xx

out of the 3 i mind i had a thankyou text off the 2yr old on the day, a thankyou off one on monday and she said it made her cry (off the 18 month). and nothing off the other one ( 4 yr old who i have had since 6 months). i did on the other hand have a mothers day card from from the 18 month old, and a visit on sunday from one of my old mindees who left me last year with a mothers day card and a present. i must say i did cry a bit at that.

Sarsar3NCH
04-03-2008, 10:41 AM
I didn't hear a word of appreciation from any of the parents. I wonder why I bother................maybe I won't in future

Sarah