PDA

View Full Version : Garage Conversion

jackandjill
15-10-2009, 07:18 AM
Hi everyone, We are thinking of turning our garage in to a playroom only used for childminding. Only problem is the garage is not attached to the house. The garage runs along side the garden with a single door and window looking out over the garden.

I was wondering what ofsted would feel about me using the playroom but using the toilet in the house (very short walk away). We are hoping to put a small hand basin in the garage and electric heating but its to expensive to put a toilet in. all the children I currently look after are in nappies but by mid next year they will be potty training. I am also hoping to work along side another adult either my mum or partner.

Also would I be able to put the work and expenses through my tax books as the room will only be used for childminding nothing else.

If you have any experiences, views, comments or pictures of your own conversion. I would love to hear them.

Many thanks:)

Chatterbox Childcare
15-10-2009, 07:21 AM
Ofsted will need to come out and see the conversion when it is finished before you start using it. Maybe do a ra and plan of how you get the children from the playroom to the toilet for them, especially if you have others working with you.

Take into account that if you are using the playroom alone, what percentage of costs you can claim. maybe eating in the house would help towards the gas/elec/rates.

As to the build costs, I would contact the IR and see what they advise but put 100% through of anything you buy to go inside.

Louise_Oaktree
15-10-2009, 08:24 PM
I am really interested in this thread as we too are thinking of doing something similar although our garage is integrated.

I am sure I have previously read on here about from someone who did this with a separate garage they had to have hand washing facilities but Ofsted were fine with portaloo kind of thing ...

My only concern would be that children need to be within sight or hearing at all times I am not sure they would be if you let them go to toilet in the house, or you would have to rally all the kids inside every time someone needed the loo!

I am thinking of converting my garage into a utility room/storage facility so I can move my washing machine out and get a dishwasher :D also I have 2 dogs so it would mean the kids could have day-long access to the kitchen for baking as it would give me somewhere else to put the dogs during the day.

I would also worry about what "some" parents might think about their kids being looked after in a garage...

Keep us posted!