PDA

View Full Version : Sensory Ideas

Lily Grace
14-10-2009, 05:18 PM
Hi I wanted to have a sensory box a bit like a treasure basket, does anyone know of any websites where I can get some bits and pieces to fill it. I didn't want it just for babies I wanted bits for older children as well.

gegele
14-10-2009, 05:33 PM
i can't tink of their name but there was a company who did lots of sensory stuff, we did a competition a while ago.....
i'm not helping much there am i?

just look through the competition. no time sorry

green puppy
14-10-2009, 06:00 PM
TTS and spacekraft do lots, if you google sensory items other web pages will pop up. They can be quite expensive though, I look at their ready made stuff to get ideas and then look in shops to pick up individual items cheaper.
How old are the children its for?

Pudding Girl
14-10-2009, 06:06 PM
Treasure baskets are really for babies/young toddlers. My current one has (don't laugh!) some dogs toys in it, there are textured nobbly rings, ball ropes, woolly balls, rubber balls with spikes on or bells inside etc

What you are thinking of for older children may be more heuristic which involves having multiples of the same thing like say 100 car keys or a bunch of wallpaper rolls, or a bag full of sponges etc and they then go off and do their own thing with it. try googling heuristic play.

Maguiresmonkeys
14-10-2009, 06:07 PM
Hi,
I cant remeber the name of any websites either :blush: but here is what ive put in mine....hope it helps.

Shells (got them from au natural)
sponge
wooden spoons
whisks of different sizes
Metal spoon
different ribbons
Different samples of materials- e.g. felt, faux fur, hessian (sp?), silk, etc
Sensory bottles (home made- bottles filled with rice/ pasta/coins/buttons oil and glitter/ food coulouring- stick the lids on and cellotape shut)
'Smelly socks' (different coloured socks filled with spices/herbs)
Child friendly mirrors
wooden peg

All the little ones love exploring all the different things and Im constantly on the look out for new and interesting things....most of which can be found at home!

I think there are other threads on 'sensory things' on the forum that will help.

miffy
14-10-2009, 07:39 PM
There have been a few threads about sensory baskets so if you search around you'll get some more ideas. There's a few on here

http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=17805&highlight=sensory+baskets

Miffy xx

DIPPY DOUGHNUT
14-10-2009, 09:01 PM
TTS is a really good website

The Juggler
14-10-2009, 09:39 PM
Personally I would have a good look at them, see what they contain and then go buy the stuff cheap. I nearly fell over last week at our children's centre. They had a treasure basket for loan. I loved it said I hadn't bought one as they were expensive at around £50 - the one they had cost over £200! :eek: :panic: There were only about 20 small items in it.

helenlc
15-10-2009, 01:32 PM
I have a 9 month old baby starting next week so need to get my butt in gear and sort one of these out. I have collected a few things like a pumice stone, rubber duck etc.

Wilkinsons would be a good place to get a whisk, wooden spoon etc. Guess I am off there tomorrow!!!

avril
15-10-2009, 01:54 PM
I have a sensory basket:

natural sponge
usual bath sponge
shammie leather
jay cloth
various materials as already mentioned
shells
different types of brushes
rubber pastry brush as well as bristle one
small sieve
can't think what else and cannot get my mits on it at present as baby asleep in same room and do not want to disturb her :panic:

Web site that has some things is:

www.thenoveltywarehouse.com