View Full Version : Help please

14-10-2009, 02:45 PM
one of my mindees eyes puffed up on the eye lid to wither mine or his parents knowledge there is no history of allergies....

Basically we go to tots group in the morning where my mindee goes to pre school, I pick in up just after 11 and we normally pop round each others homes for lunch (There's a a group of 4 normally mine or another house over the road)

we normally have a selection of sandwiches, pizza and come cucumber etc etc, anyway mindee had jam sandwich, one egg and a bit of cheese pizza, nothing really different, the only real difference is they have a long haired cat and I have a short haired cat which he hasn't as far as Im aware not had a problem. after a bit i noticed his eyelids were all puffy, I called his mum and asked to give him some piriton. she said yes so i gave it to him - all settled down and was fine.

basically I don't know where to fill it in on my accident, incident and medication folder and should I write a permission slip and get mum to sign it??? anything else I need to do????

14-10-2009, 02:52 PM
I would write it up as an incident tbh. One of my friends kids is not allergic to short haired cats but long haired she goes all puffy and finds it hard to breathe, I would keep an eye just in case

14-10-2009, 02:52 PM
I would do a form in the medication book for the piriton and just make a note of what happened either on a seperate peice of paper and get mum to sign or in the incident book if you have one - as long as mum signs it then you whould be covered. I wouldnt put it in the accident book

Chatterbox Childcare
14-10-2009, 02:54 PM
According to the new Ofsted guidelines (from Inspector) you should always have the instruction in writing so maybe phone and ask mum to text or email the answer or text mum so you have a text answer. You could then keep the text or email it to yourself to print off for the file.

It needs to go in your medication book as you have administered it.

14-10-2009, 03:01 PM
so section 3 in the ncma accident, incident and medication folder ?? and then a wright up in section 2 of the accident, incident and medication folder (just want to get it right as ive not needed to write up before as nothing happend here...

14-10-2009, 04:04 PM
It could have been allergic conjunctivitis which is not contagious like the bacterial form. My son had the allergic version about 6 months ago. He woke up and started shouting for me as he could barely open his eyes, they were both very puffed up. Got him an emergency appointment at the docs and he prescribed an antihistamine. He said it could have been caused by anything being transferred to the eyes by rubbing, asked the usual questions about whether I'd changed washing powder etc but we couldn't think of anything.

14-10-2009, 04:51 PM
Hi emmadines,
If it was me, I'd do an accident/incident form: circle the eyes on the body diagram. Write something about a non-specific allergic reaction.
Then say you've given antihistamine medicine after contacting Mum. Fill in an administered medicine form and make sure Mum signs it.
Do you have a standard administering non-prescription medication policy and permission slip in place? If so, you should be well - covered anyway, I'd have thought?

Hope this doesn't sound patronising - I know when I'm panicking my brain freezes and I need very specific instructions .. spoken very slowly... :laughing:


p.s. could very well be the cat: my sister is allergic to some and not others for no reason we can work out. She's fine with both mine and I have a long haired and a short haired version. I'm allergic to both and just make sure if I touch them or anywhere they groom themselves, I wash myhands so that I don't accidently touch myface/ rub my eyes etc...

14-10-2009, 07:57 PM
oh no not patronising at all!! ive never had anything like this at all so wasnt too sure.

Thanks for the advice peeps xxxx