PDA

View Full Version : Feeling pleased with myself!

madasahatter
14-10-2009, 01:15 PM
Finally got myself into gear and made some homemade baby food for the 9month old I care for:clapping: :clapping:
Usually mum supplies one homemade dish and 1 jar for the days meals but last night she confessed to having run out of her homemade ones and to not having time until the weekend to do some more. So I have just made.....

turkey dinner: turkey mince, potatoes, carrots, leek, broccoli (5 meals worth)
Cheesy lentil and butternut squash (with carrot and leek too) (3 meals worth) :thumbsup:

Pudding Girl
14-10-2009, 01:41 PM
That last one sounds yum, recipe please?!

madasahatter
14-10-2009, 01:49 PM
I don't really do recipes (I'm a bung it in and see what happens sort of person) but this is what I put in it:

a generous handful of lentils
2 chopped carrots
approx 1/3 of a butternut squash peeled and chopped
1/3 of a leek chopped.
I added a small mount of water and simmered it for 30 mins. I kept checking the liquid and adding more if needed, towards the end I added approx 3oz baby milk. After mashing it (didn't blend it as baby is eating more lumpy foods) I added about 2oz grated cheese.

To store I use clean sterilized baby food jars. I treat them as if I was bottling jam. After sterilizing them I put them on a tray in the oven for 10 mins at 100C, add the hot food to the jar and put the lid on. As the jar cools it creates a vacuum seal and once cold I freeze it, labelled and dated.

Lainey Lou
14-10-2009, 03:33 PM
I used to love making my dd her dinners and freezing them, used to make me feel all organised and wholesome :laughing:. I used to use the Annabel Karmel book, loads of really tasty stuff in there. However, she is soo bloomin fussy, she wouldn't eat any of it!! XX

CherryBlossom
14-10-2009, 03:53 PM
Sounds great-this is something I would like to try if I have the time once I start minding.

i am all for home made food for the little ones

x

The Juggler
14-10-2009, 09:57 PM
i had one too, the abc of healthy eating for toddlers, lots of morrocan lamb, dahls but very throw it all in the pan recipes. Then you can just add couscous, pasta as needed.

I don't do it anymore for mindees - I used to stand in my kitchen at weekends doing it even though I didn't contract to provide baby food but I always felt so bad they ate out of jars until they ate proper meals. Now I'm doing EYFS paperwork instead at the weekends so well done you for being motivated enough.