PDA

View Full Version : Planning

patevans
14-10-2009, 12:54 PM
I really am still struggling with the planning part of the EYFS :crying:

I have lots of obs and they are all linked to the eyfs but struggle so so much with planning, is there a thread anywhere that breaks it down into "simple" english?

I dont seem to be able to do next steps properly and put them into planning etc....I must be seriously stupid :eek:

cabby
14-10-2009, 01:00 PM
trust me you are not stupid, planning is the one thing i just cant get my head around either, i just dont know how to do it:blush: :blush: :blush: ,

one of the things i dont get is when doing individual and group planning do you have to incorparate the 2 together iyswim??

and when doing obs, then next steps, is the next steps the childs individual planning??? not sure if that makes sence:blush:

patevans
14-10-2009, 01:02 PM
trust me you are not stupid, planning is the one thing i just cant get my head around either, i just dont know how to do it:blush: :blush: :blush: ,

one of the things i dont get is when doing individual and group planning do you have to incorparate the 2 together iyswim??

and when doing obs, then next steps, is the next steps the childs individual planning??? not sure if that makes sence:blush:

Thats absolutely it, I really feel like a failure at my job when it comes to EYFS :( no wonder my inspection was a disaster :(

cabby
14-10-2009, 01:08 PM
bless ya, i wasnt much help really was i...lol, but at least you know your not the only one feeling like it, i really do know how you feel:panic: :panic:

gigglinggoblin
14-10-2009, 01:09 PM
If your inspection was a disaster they would have shut you down, you must be doing something right!

I do my planning roughly weekly and I write my rough notes out on a word document. I have it as a table with boxes to tick for each of the 6 areas and whether it is adult or child led. I also have next steps written down on a piece of paper on their own so I can glance over it when I am planning. On the day I write what we have actually done, if we havent done one of the things I planned I usually copy and paste it to another day or week (no point in wasting it!). Takes about 10 - 15 minutes at the weekend for a rough idea then another 10 mins at night to write what we have done. If you want the sheet I use you are welcome to it, I cobbled it together myself so its not exactly perfect! I do only have one mindee atm but if I get another I cant see any reason to change what I am doing, I will just make sure the activity can be tailored to the individuals or that we do more than one activity to include them.

Keep an eye out for LEA courses, I went on one for planning and obs and it made so much more sense! It was then I was told to keep planning fluid and change it daily according to what you do. Also dont forget to write down all the stuff the kids do themselves, thats child led and shows you are giving them room to develop.

sarah707
14-10-2009, 04:59 PM
Have you seen the posts including post on this thread Louise?

http://childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=23417

It might help :D

patevans
14-10-2009, 05:06 PM
Thanks Sarah I think I already have that document!!

I just cant seem to bring it all together :( why am I struggling so much :angry:

grindal
14-10-2009, 05:22 PM
Hi
I make myself a big spider diagram on some A5 paper. I write whatever theme/topic we are gonna do then I write out the 6 areas of learning around the paper. Under each heading i come up with a few ideas that fit with the theme - I only plan for one at the mo- but if I was doing more would prob use diff coloured pen on the same bit of paper. I make sure that if my plans are a next step from previous obs I make clear what it refers to, but not all the plans do. Then I put any planned activities into my diary.

patevans
14-10-2009, 05:27 PM
Hi
I make myself a big spider diagram on some A5 paper. I write whatever theme/topic we are gonna do then I write out the 6 areas of learning around the paper. Under each heading i come up with a few ideas that fit with the theme - I only plan for one at the mo- but if I was doing more would prob use diff coloured pen on the same bit of paper. I make sure that if my plans are a next step from previous obs I make clear what it refers to, but not all the plans do. Then I put any planned activities into my diary.

So do you incorporate the next steps into the theme or just one of the areas for that month? Do you have next steps for every observation?

sarah707
14-10-2009, 05:35 PM
Observations don't always need next steps!

Some just stand alone as good observations.

With individual planning, you will use observations of what the child does / enjoys etc to plan.

With group planning, you can use observations to guide how you plan for each child. You do it automatically, you just need to get it on paper in a way that makes sense for you.

hth :D

nannymcflea
14-10-2009, 06:49 PM
Like Sarah says,theres no right or wrong with next steps/planning,you need to find a format that works for you. You are certainly not stupid or alone.

I bet you know more than you realise or are giving yourself credit for.

If you did a quick ob on a child when playing with playdoh and saw the child was making balls and rolling them...you could write that down and underneath put the next steps as...more sensory activities...shapes...lots of different balls to roll,perhaps down a slide.

Next steps are finding where you think that child could go,as you have seen what holds that childs interest...and I bet you could fit those next steps into the EYFS...CD,PSRN...etc.

Then you do another ob and find out where you can go next....

Don't think it has to be hard,it doesn't, I do things the simple way!:thumbsup:

patevans
14-10-2009, 07:24 PM
Like Sarah says,theres no right or wrong with next steps/planning,you need to find a format that works for you. You are certainly not stupid or alone.

I bet you know more than you realise or are giving yourself credit for.

If you did a quick ob on a child when playing with playdoh and saw the child was making balls and rolling them...you could write that down and underneath put the next steps as...more sensory activities...shapes...lots of different balls to roll,perhaps down a slide.

Next steps are finding where you think that child could go,as you have seen what holds that childs interest...and I bet you could fit those next steps into the EYFS...CD,PSRN...etc.

Then you do another ob and find out where you can go next....

Don't think it has to be hard,it doesn't, I do things the simple way!:thumbsup:

I understand how to do the next steps but dont understand how to incorporate (sp) them into the "theme" planning or group planning etc. I am more of a practical person where I need to see it done to understand it :( I am not good with written things

sarah707
14-10-2009, 08:23 PM
You have planned for Red Nose Day.

Your group planning shows that all the chidlren will...

- wear something red - it will show you are working with parents etc

- choose and eat a red snack

Ok, so off you go to the shops, but you know from working with parents and previous info that Jane isn't keen on cherries... you will suggest she chooses cranberries to try those instead.

- do red pictures including mixing paint

Ok, now, from his obs you know that John does not like getting his fingers wet, so you will encourage him to mix red paint with a brush.

Jane on the other hand just loves messy play and will finger paint all afternoon.

Janet is only 1, so how can you include her? She might enjoy doing some red footprints - she liked that sensory experience last time you did it with her.

You have done your group planning... AND you have thought about the children's individual needs at the same time.

Does that make more sense? :D

jeanybeany
14-10-2009, 09:13 PM
Louise get the EYFS book by Penni Tassonni it will help you, she shows you some simple planning ideas in the back of the book.

Don't read too much into this planning stuff-you know what you are doing so don't over complicate it!

I start with my theme/topic/subject for the month.
Then I list any important dates e.g mothers day etc
Then spider diagram ideas from searching web etc (like others have said)
Transfer activities to weekly planning sheet (p tassoni book) along with anything else were doing eg toddlers
Then do individual planning for each child-adjusting activities from plans to fit for the month to cover six areas (I choose one target for each). If not achieved I carry it over to next month. Observe a couple to show child can do it or just comment on sticky note and transfer into learning journey. Do next steps (could be new target). Leave spaces so you can note changes of activities etc and once in a while send a sheet home for parents to complete about likes/dislikes incorporate into planning.

Done as far as I am concerned!

I hope you find this useful :D

Pauline
14-10-2009, 09:24 PM
Louise get the EYFS book by Penni Tassonni it will help you, she shows you some simple planning ideas in the back of the book.

This book is in the fundraising Auction which I hope to start next week :thumbsup:

patevans
15-10-2009, 05:10 AM
You have planned for Red Nose Day.

Your group planning shows that all the chidlren will...

- wear something red - it will show you are working with parents etc

- choose and eat a red snack

Ok, so off you go to the shops, but you know from working with parents and previous info that Jane isn't keen on cherries... you will suggest she chooses cranberries to try those instead.

- do red pictures including mixing paint

Ok, now, from his obs you know that John does not like getting his fingers wet, so you will encourage him to mix red paint with a brush.

Jane on the other hand just loves messy play and will finger paint all afternoon.

Janet is only 1, so how can you include her? She might enjoy doing some red footprints - she liked that sensory experience last time you did it with her.

You have done your group planning... AND you have thought about the children's individual needs at the same time.

Does that make more sense? :D

Yep will try to do a rough one later :thumbsup:

HELEN10
15-10-2009, 07:57 AM
Hi just wanted to ask to you have to be a certain colour member to gain access to Louise's thread Sarah? Won't let me look, says don't have permission.

HELEN10

primula
15-10-2009, 12:34 PM
Hi Sarah,
I couldnt seem to open the link either? not sure what pm means can you advise me! thanks.

Pauline
15-10-2009, 01:02 PM
I couldnt seem to open the link either? not sure what pm means can you advise me! thanks.

The link is to a private area of the site that can only be accessed once you are a green member.

Details of becoming a green member are explained in the Member Information section, in the thread called: Red, Amber Green - membership ranks explained. (http://childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=38984)

A PM, is a Private Message, these can be accessed just under where you log in, you can send private messages to other members.

You will soon get the hang of everything :thumbsup:

Hope that helps. :)

Alz
15-10-2009, 07:18 PM
Still trying to get my head around planning too...finding this thread v interesting!!

My mindee seems to be into EVERYTHING so have no idea where to start from with individual planning with her. She seems to just put everything in her mouth for 3 seconds and is then onto the next thing!

Like your way of doing things Jeanybeany!!

jeanybeany
15-10-2009, 07:59 PM
Still trying to get my head around planning too...finding this thread v interesting!!

My mindee seems to be into EVERYTHING so have no idea where to start from with individual planning with her. She seems to just put everything in her mouth for 3 seconds and is then onto the next thing!

Like your way of doing things Jeanybeany!!

Thanks Alz, if you need any help pm me!:D

babs
15-10-2009, 10:42 PM
planning and obs. i too have no idea i do write things down but when it comes down to next steps i blank i too like to see it rather than write it down.. i hated english anyway and cant spell :laughing:

patevans
16-10-2009, 03:44 PM
Well my DO came today and she said I am doing far too much paperwork :eek: she went through planning with me and sort of get it now but I need to put it into practice and see how I get on.

She said what I am already doing is fantastic and she cannot understand why the inspector only gave me satisfactory.

She is going to come and see me again in a few weeks when I have got everything up to date and see how I am getting on with it all!!

sarah707
16-10-2009, 06:01 PM
Well my DO came today and she said I am doing far too much paperwork :eek: she went through planning with me and sort of get it now but I need to put it into practice and see how I get on.

She said what I am already doing is fantastic and she cannot understand why the inspector only gave me satisfactory.

She is going to come and see me again in a few weeks when I have got everything up to date and see how I am getting on with it all!!

Great news! :D

patevans
17-10-2009, 10:40 AM
oooh I forgot to mention she gave me a new penni tassoni book free :clapping:

LOOPYLISA
17-10-2009, 11:26 AM
There you go, you are doing great, give yourself a pat on the back :thumbsup:

SandCastles
17-10-2009, 02:22 PM
Well done, bet you are looking forward to less paperwork! and a higher grade next time.

patevans
17-10-2009, 02:31 PM
after she left yesterday I went upstairs and threw away all the paperwork I didnt need and boy did it feel good :clapping:

I was pleased with the book I got, someone mentioned it the day before in this thread and I put it on my wish list on amazon for when I got paid but dont need to buy it now :thumbsup:

patevans
17-10-2009, 02:52 PM
oh she also said I should be become accredited...I told her to do one http://www.emoticonzone.com/msn-emotions/lol/lol3.jpg (http://www.emoticonzone.com)

babs
17-10-2009, 07:55 PM
Have you seen the posts including post on this thread Louise?

http://childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=23417

It might help :D

can anyone tell me why i cant view this page plz

sarah707
17-10-2009, 07:56 PM
can anyone tell me why i cant view this page plz

Sorry babs you need to be a green member to view that thread.

I didn't realise when I put the message on, I do apologise!

Membership ranks are explained here -

http://childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=38984

Hope this helps! :D

babs
17-10-2009, 07:58 PM
yeh i read after i posted 90 days 300 posts god ill never do that many ... i read more than i post .... thanks anyway

patevans
25-10-2009, 02:23 PM
so........I have observed that A aged 2 yrs 6 months enjoys singing, b aged 9months likes feel of things and noises i.e. shakers etc, c aged 15 months likes to push and pull things and D aged 21 months likes dolls, and singing.

how do I fit all this together? do I fit into a theme or a planned activity?

Kes
25-10-2009, 02:36 PM
Sounds like good grounds for a music activity. Instruments and singing include songs like Miss Polly had a dolly. Maybe see if you have any instruments that involve pushing and pulling or maybe do row, row your boat its kind of pushing and pulling. You could always extend it to a theme such as instruments, making your own shakers. Or something on nursery rhymes.
Just make sure you put in your planning what development is being covered for each child, some might cover all the children.

Kerry.

patevans
25-10-2009, 02:40 PM
Sounds like good grounds for a music activity. Instruments and singing include songs like Miss Polly had a dolly. Maybe see if you have any instruments that involve pushing and pulling or maybe do row, row your boat its kind of pushing and pulling. You could always extend it to a theme such as instruments, making your own shakers. Or something on nursery rhymes.
Just make sure you put in your planning what development is being covered for each child, some might cover all the children.

Kerry.

Maybe see if you have any instruments that involve pushing and pulling or maybe do row, row your boat its kind of pushing and pulling

He also likes pressing buttons so I could bring in the guitar and keyboard!!

Kes
25-10-2009, 03:04 PM
Sounds good and noisy!! Have fun.

Kerry.

motherlove
01-11-2009, 09:44 PM
Hi there,
Yes, babies put everything into their mouth, it is just the process in order to understand the world and the things that are around them as they ask to themselves "what is this?", when are a little bit older they will develop to " what I can do with this?"

patevans
26-11-2009, 10:18 AM
When doing weekly planning do you put somethin different in for each are of learning?

i.e. Monday - 6 different thigs, 1 for each area or do you do something that can cover all 6 as the sheet my DO sent me has 30 differnt things on each week......:panic:

Tink
26-11-2009, 11:44 AM
This is the only thing I get confused with.

I do individual planning sheets carrying on from my observations that I have made.
For group topics: I do a topic web to put ideas on for example Christmas. I have the 6 areas on and plan to do things within the 6 areas.

But what do I do then? I have two children both 2 so I want to keep it simple --
I have one 2 days a week and the other 2 days one week and 4 days the other alternate.

I'm just unsure weather I should be doing weekly planning for them?

Can anyone advise me please

Ripeberry
26-11-2009, 11:59 AM
Bumping for you as I'm wondering about that myself..

FussyElmo
26-11-2009, 02:15 PM
When doing weekly planning do you put somethin different in for each are of learning?

i.e. Monday - 6 different thigs, 1 for each area or do you do something that can cover all 6 as the sheet my DO sent me has 30 differnt things on each week......:panic:

Your DO expects you to plan 30 things a week where does that leave time for free play.

My planning is a spidergram and I have the six areas coming from it but I am quite prepared for it not too be done because the children will want to do something else. This morning I did want to do snowflakes but instead we were digging for buried treasure outside and when we got in we had a story about pirates.

patevans
26-11-2009, 02:55 PM
Your DO expects you to plan 30 things a week where does that leave time for free play.

My planning is a spidergram and I have the six areas coming from it but I am quite prepared for it not too be done because the children will want to do something else. This morning I did want to do snowflakes but instead we were digging for buried treasure outside and when we got in we had a story about pirates.

they aren't all planned things as such but there are things on there like

Wednesday - Sand play with Dinosaurs - PSED, Bubbles - CLL, Food shopping and matching labels - PSRN, Lego - KUW, Bikes and Scooters - PD, Mark making and scissor skills - CD

and for the other days there are completely different things and one thing for each area, it just seems a lot to me :huh:

francinejayne
11-12-2009, 09:29 PM
oh I'm confused! sorry - what is a spidergram?!?!

sarah707
11-12-2009, 09:43 PM
oh I'm confused! sorry - what is a spidergram?!?!

It's like a 6 legged spider!

The title in the middle and 6 boxes coming out.

each of the 6 boxes are titled from the 6 areas of learning and development.

It helps you see that you are planning a range of activities because you have some activity ideas in each box.

A spider gram is just one way of doing it! :D

francinejayne
11-12-2009, 09:50 PM
thanks Sarah - I'm going to google it to see if I can find an example!
ooh remember those days when at 10 to 10 on a friday night we would've been out dancing?!?!?!:laughing:

sandy64
03-01-2010, 07:18 PM

Don't read too much into this planning stuff-you know what you are doing so don't over complicate it!

I start with my theme/topic/subject for the month.
Then I list any important dates e.g mothers day etc
Then spider diagram ideas from searching web etc (like others have said)
Transfer activities to weekly planning sheet (p tassoni book) along with anything else were doing eg toddlers
Then do individual planning for each child-adjusting activities from plans to fit for the month to cover six areas (I choose one target for each). If not achieved I carry it over to next month. Observe a couple to show child can do it or just comment on sticky note and transfer into learning journey. Do next steps (could be new target). Leave spaces so you can note changes of activities etc and once in a while send a sheet home for parents to complete about likes/dislikes incorporate into planning.

Done as far as I am concerned!

I hope you find this useful :D

hi just read this reply when you said you choose one target did you mean one per child for each area each month?