PDA

View Full Version : kitchen Safety

Hanabana
14-10-2009, 10:05 AM
I have a stairgate across my kitchen as the cat food is down but we have recently had our kitchen refurbished and because its rented the landlords don't want us screwing drawer catches in.

so if the children can't get into the kitchen to get access to the knife drawer (the only ones they could reach are the cutlery draw and a cupboard where i keep washing powder, all my first aid and cleaning stuff and big sharp knives are kept high up) do i still need them?

if i do can any one recommend any stick on drawer catches? thanks

Vyx
14-10-2009, 11:29 AM
Hiya

We have a similar situ as we are rented also. I'm sure that as long as you have put 'something' in place to effeciently remove the risk (ie injury) from the hazard (ie knives etc) then that will be fine.

So, the way I see it, keeping them out of the kitchen, period, (using the stairgate) is a highly effecient way of reducing (or rather eliminating which is preferred) the risk, so you shouldn't need drawer catches in addition to this. I think it's all down to how you explain the measures you have taken to the ofsted inspector, if you can show that there is no longer a risk then it should be fine.

HTH

xx

WibbleWobble
14-10-2009, 11:58 AM
We own our house but last night OH was weeping as he drilled holes into our brand new-put in last week-kitchen doors to fit the locks......

He has held back from doing this until the last day...i have asked him time and time again and he gave in last night. He grumbled that when our two were little we didnt have these things.....men just dont get it do they?

I agree with vyx....you have a stair gate....you should be fine...unless you have a very fat cat!

love mandy ...who should be cleaning and not doing this....xxxxxxxxxxxx

Hanabana
14-10-2009, 12:05 PM
thanks

we have 3 fat cats buy the way but the stairgates are good excercise for them makes them jump over lol!

i also have a 21 month old boy who is quite often in the kitchen with me and the only cupboard he opens is my larder with biscuits and cereal in!