PDA

View Full Version : Can I Childmind?

sarahcc
14-10-2009, 09:58 AM
Hi.........
I have recently become a Mum and want to work from home. I love the idea of childminding but my experience is very limited.
Do you think I could start childminding? If so, would other parents want me to look after their kids if I don't show great experience?
Thanks!

Princess Sara
14-10-2009, 12:45 PM
Before I started childminding I had zero experience with children, apart from my own. I was a restaurant supervisor and chef, not child related at all!

Go for it!

OrlandoBelle
14-10-2009, 01:53 PM
Me too... had no experience other than having my own son. There are plenty of courses to complete to learn about safeguarding, how children think and develop etc etc etc... keep a record of these to show Parents that you are serious about working with children and that you are qualified to do so.

Go for it!:)

Chatterbox Childcare
14-10-2009, 02:57 PM
It is totally possible but I would say go on a taster session through your local council and see what you think.

It's a small world
14-10-2009, 03:46 PM
As the others say no experience apart from my own. Did help friend out and picked her children up from school for a couple of hours and she suggested I become a childminder as her ds's loved coming to my house. There are lots of ideas and advice on here plus all the courses that you get to go own. Share experience with other people and realise that you all started out the same.

You will be fine. We are here to support and as you go on you will gain the experience..

Come and join us :clapping:

madasahatter
14-10-2009, 03:48 PM
The only experience I had was babysitting my nephew for a few hours each month, so yes you can childmind without having had much experience.
You now need to complete an 'Introduction to Childminding Practice' course before becoming registered. This helps you think about how you will manage your day, how you will deal with behavioural problems etc etc etc, along with covering issues such as policies.
Go for it!
My son was 6 months old when I became registered.

Vyx
15-10-2009, 11:25 AM
Hi Sarahcc

I have even less experience than you as I don't have children of my own.

The people who run my ICC course (Cheshire's very own version of the ICP) and the people on here have been very supportive and really don't see it as a problem.

Best of luck

xx