PDA

View Full Version : BEFORE YOU BECAME A MEMBER HERE ...........

angeldelight
14-10-2009, 06:16 AM
What did you do before you became a member?

Did you still read the forum?

Was you scared to join?

Did you join because it seemed a friendly place?

Did you join because you found us and needed some advice maybe?

I know when I joined there were not a lot of members but I was nervous about posting - when I first typed something I felt like everyone could see me and I felt really silly and hoped that I was not making a fool of myself - now I do that on a regular basis :laughing: :laughing:

Did you lurk a bit before posting - did you start a thread yourself or reply to someone else - did you feel silly like me or did you not care

How did you feel once you had joined ?

Angel xxxx

Mouse
14-10-2009, 06:29 AM
I found the forum by chance via a Facebook search. It came up as a group on there (I think) and I then looked for this site.

I read a few posts, then jumped straight in & signed up. I posted my first message as a 'hello' post & just carried on from there. No lurking from me!

I found the members immediately friendly. I post on several forums & it often takes time to be accepted, but it wasn't like that here.

I was amazed at the amount of info on here & did think I wished I'd found the site before my inspection. The more I read though, the more stuff I realised I wasn't doing and had a quick pang of guilt that I must have fluked my inspection as there is so much stuff others were doing that I wasn't! I decided that I was actually glad I didn't find the site until after my inspection as I don't think I'd have been nearly so confident going into it :laughing:
Now I accept that I haven't got to do everything that others are doing, but that I can still pick up some great ideas.

angeldelight
14-10-2009, 06:34 AM
I was amazed at the amount of info on here & did think I wished I'd found the site before my inspection. The more I read though, the more stuff I realised I wasn't doing and had a quick pang of guilt that I must have fluked my inspection as there is so much stuff others were doing that I wasn't! I decided that I was actually glad I didn't find the site until after my inspection as I don't think I'd have been nearly so confident going into it :laughing:
Now I accept that I haven't got to do everything that others are doing, but that I can still pick up some great ideas.

This is so very true and I think sometimes it does scare people / members alike

I like you accept that I do not have to do what everyone else is doing but also pick up and suggest ideas

Angel xxx

daisyboo1980
14-10-2009, 06:37 AM
hi
i found it on google by searching for help on policys, i joined up that night but stayed silent and read everything as it was alittle different to how things are done in northern ireland then i needed advice took the plunge and started a thread i was nervous then i got a relpy and advice which was great
ive become slightly addicted to it now lol and its great for putting ur mind at rest and helping with everything to do with all sides of this job.
i do still feel nervous when i post something incase it sounds daft lol

miffy
14-10-2009, 06:51 AM
I found it via e-bay when I was looking at some of Sarahnevs stuff.

Have to admit I lurked for a while before posting but when I did join everyone was so friendly :)

Now I'm fighting the addiction........................ and losing! :laughing:

Miffy xx

Twinkle
14-10-2009, 07:04 AM
I lurked for a little while, but everyone was so friendly it was hard to resist joining.

I sometimes still feel silly posting in case I sound daft and sometimes hesitate to reply because everyone before me has given such good advice.

I'd be lost without you all now, you're my daily fix of sanity, insanity and giggles :D

Pipsqueak
14-10-2009, 07:17 AM
I joined when there were a few (but not many) members, I lurked for a couple of days and then posted my question. A couple of the answers I found a bit blunt and I must admit I backed of a little for a couple of days. I digested what I had read and it made sense and it helped and I came back and never left.
I have some terrific 'core' friends on here, I have come to understand and know the people on here, love the sense of humour and I love 'meeting' all the newbies.
I learn something new (whether its a situation, experience, fact etc and this place has been my 'home' now and lots of you my extended family.

jelly15
14-10-2009, 07:19 AM
I stumbled across when I was looking for help and ideas pre-reg. I lurked for a bit, then joined but it took a few weeks before I posted my hello. I was so thrilled will all the welcome replies that I now welcome all the newbies myself.

I log on every morning, with my tea and toast, as my mindees don't arrive until late morning. Then if they are napping log in again and possibly in the evening if the PC is free. I think I am hooked.:thumbsup:

Jelly

Roseolivia
14-10-2009, 07:22 AM

Did you still read the forum?Yes all the time for months.

Was you scared to join? Yes beacause i'd never chatted to people online.

Did you join because it seemed a friendly place?Yes and full of great advice and fun.

Did you join because you found us and needed some advice maybe?Just found that all the advice was great, wasn't looking for any specific advice though just to see i was doing things right.

I know when I joined there were not a lot of members but I was nervous about posting - when I first typed something I felt like everyone could see me and I felt really silly and hoped that I was not making a fool of myself - now I do that on a regular basis :laughing: :laughing:

Did you lurk a bit before posting - did you start a thread yourself or reply to someone else - did you feel silly like me or did you not care

How did you feel once you had joined ? Great, everyone is so friendly and have met up with a couple of other minders on here and will hopefully do so in the future.

Angel xxxx

Thanks for the site, i've found it valuable for professional and personal advice and friends.

FussyElmo
14-10-2009, 07:44 AM
Found the site by accident decided to join and posted my hello message. Still am nervous about posting incase people think Im silly etc But love logging on dh laughs about it but sometimes your the only people who do "understand" and there is always someone to answer the question :)

aly
14-10-2009, 07:55 AM
What did you do before you became a member? I was only a member for a little while before posting

Did you still read the forum? Yes to try and find my way around

Was you scared to join? Oh yes, always am with new things

Did you join because it seemed a friendly place? Yes very

Did you join because you found us and needed some advice maybe? Yes

Did you lurk a bit before posting - did you start a thread yourself or reply to someone else - did you feel silly like me or did you not care I can't remember but I think I might have lurked to find my way then posted somewhere.

How did you feel once you had joined ? That I had found friends that I had not yet met :littleangel: :thank you:

Angel xxxx

I googled childminders and this forum came up...and here we are today 1000 posts in ;) I truely have found it very useful etc, I doubt very much I would have carried on through the process....I rang about the briefing session a few years before but as I was not confident [still not really] I gave it a miss....decided again last year...foudn this forum and not looked back.

I owe it all to you guys :welldone:

xx

PixiePetal
14-10-2009, 07:58 AM
I didn't lurk for long, decided nothing bad could happen and I didn't need to be on here all the time:laughing: :laughing:

Joined by searching 'childminding policies' when I was confused and grasping at straws on what to write and what I needed. Felt so relieved that there were more people questioning things and have never looked back.

Had a bit of a gap until about a year ago I was having trouble writing a letter to a nursery for communication info on child. Sarah came to the rescue (as I am sure she has for lots of us!)

I love it that we can all have different opinions and they all count. Sometimes there is no wrong answer to a question and all the replies let me come to a decision whatever that may be - it will be the right one for me.

The only thing I was not warned about is 'forum addiction' which I now suffer from - never been so pleased to suffer before :thumbsup:

Twinkles
14-10-2009, 08:01 AM
I found the site when a friend bought a copy of Pauline's 'Breathing' policy to a coffee morning.
It just so happened that wendywu and I were booked on a policy writing course a couple of days later. I asked her where she got it and she told me so I came and had a peep.
We took the policy to the course and got the tutor to read it out much to the amusement of the class.
One lovely lady said ' I know who wrote that , I belong to that forum ! '....it was Blaze :clapping:

I came on here that evening and joined properly.

It took ages for me to post.

Pudding Girl
14-10-2009, 08:07 AM
I joined as I was told about it by Theresa (anyone know how she is?) as she found it first. I'd found the main site a while before but not realised there was a forum attached :blush:

I think I started posting pretty much right away but then again I already knew someone here so it was easy. I didn't find it scary as I was pre-reg and just so eager then to mop up all the knowledge I could about being a good childminder :)

I can't recall what my first posts where about and now we've moved I don't think we could check, that would have been amusing lol

Annie_T
14-10-2009, 08:08 AM

Did you still read the forum? some yes

Was you scared to join? no

Did you join because it seemed a friendly place? Partly

Did you join because you found us and needed some advice maybe? Partly

Did you lurk a bit before posting - did you start a thread yourself or reply to someone else - did you feel silly like me or did you not care - started my own thread introducing myself virtually straight away .. just wanted get going with it all

How did you feel once you had joined - fine, like i had a whole new set of friends to talk to relating to work or not and now i can talk willy nilly lol

Polly2
14-10-2009, 08:13 AM
I did a google search for childminding help and found the forum through Paulines site.

I joined straight away because I had only recently registered and had soooo many questions but I got myself all confused because I am in Wales and I don't think there were any welsh members on here at the time :laughing:

I was so dull I didn't even know that different cms did things differently over the country!

I have to say that I have learned so much from here, and feel like you are my friends - even though I am quieter than some :blush: ha! I find it hard to stay away :thumbsup:

solly
14-10-2009, 09:05 AM
I came across this forum by accident but is the best thing that happened. I had lost all motivation andd wasn't enjoying the job so very nearly threw in the towel so to speak.
I read a few posts and thought i would join and introduce myself and had alot of welcoming posts and lots of encouragement to continue the job i love.

I have had so much help and encouragement from everyone i am now enjoying my job again.
The forum is now is part of my daily fix. :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

angeldelight
14-10-2009, 09:10 AM
I joined as I was told about it by Theresa (anyone know how she is?) as she found it first. I'd found the main site a while before but not realised there was a forum attached :blush:

I think I started posting pretty much right away but then again I already knew someone here so it was easy. I didn't find it scary as I was pre-reg and just so eager then to mop up all the knowledge I could about being a good childminder :)

I can't recall what my first posts where about and now we've moved I don't think we could check, that would have been amusing lol

Theresa is doing ok her usual mad self ha ha
I will tell her that you asked about her

Angel xxx

CherryBlossom
14-10-2009, 09:26 AM

I was just about to graduate from Uni when I joined, i had decided I wasn't going to pursue the subject I studied, and wanted to start training for something else asap.
I like being busy and learning, so while I was finishing off my course I was already starting another one lol :)

Did you still read the forum?
I joined the day I found the forum..

Was you scared to join?
A little scared as i have never been on a forum before-always thought it was like some sort of chat room ..which I suppose it is..but not the type I was thinking of lol

I wasn't sure if I thought it was friendly at first, it can take a fair bit to get noticed on here..and I still feel after months of posting that people don't know who I am -but maybe that is my fault.
I def think people are friendly though.

Did you join because you found us and needed some advice maybe?
Yes, I had phoned up for my initial briefing and has 3 months to wait! I was so desperate to feel I was doing something towards becoming a Childminder.

I did a bit of both. I still feel silly now, things can be taken the wrong way over the internet lol.

How did you feel once you had joined ?

I am so glad I have joined, I have learnt so much from reading-and found when I finally started my course that I was helping other people. In fact I was surprised that nobody else had bothered to find things out for themselves.
I am so looking forward to starting CM, it is something I have chosen off my own back to do-not just because it suits my life style, so I feel I can keep in touch with that on here..my course has finished now and my only connection with other CM's is on here-so it is great!
Angel xxx

Pudding Girl
14-10-2009, 09:59 AM
Theresa is doing ok her usual mad self ha ha
I will tell her that you asked about her

Angel xxx

Please do :) and tell her mr JMC is fine and dandy ;):laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :littleangel:

ORKSIE
14-10-2009, 10:06 AM
NannyMcflea found it and told me ablut it.
She saw that some members had posted about not being happy with inspections and thought i may be interested in reading the posts.
I did feel slightly worried about posting stuff, but not anymore:)
I am so pleased i found this place through Nanny.
Thanks Pauline:thumbsup:

ajs
14-10-2009, 11:31 AM
when i joined it was me and pauline chatting together
then angel joined and that was it really
i have no idea how i found the forum or how long i waited to join but i know that i have had some great advice and made some fantastic friends ( real and virtual) and i wouldn't be without it now

and i am looking forward to the third xmas meeting and meeting some new friends

Daddy Day Care
14-10-2009, 11:37 AM
I was a member of another childmindig forum (cant remmy how i found that), but there wasnt anywhere as near as many members and there was only 3 or 4 new posts a day.

So I decided to look for another one, found this place, introduced myself straight away and havent looked back since.

I wasnt scared to join, and I didnt know the place was so nice because i didnt have a nose aeround before I joined, I just saw how popular the place was so went for it.

Within around 30 minutes of joining, I felt so at home, everyone was so warm and friendly, still remember my hello post it seemded to go on forever.

Been here 5 months now :eek: Yeah i know it seems a hell of a lot longer and this is like a 2nd home to me.

Your all mean to me but i know most of you love me and I love you lot to

Now soemone pass me the tissues please lol

Gareth
xx

angeldelight
14-10-2009, 11:39 AM
I and this is like a 2nd home to me.

Gareth
xx

Oh how sweet Gareth

We love you also

xxxx

Pipsqueak
14-10-2009, 11:41 AM
I wasn't sure if I thought it was friendly at first, it can take a fair bit to get noticed on here..and I still feel after months of posting that people don't know who I am -but maybe that is my fault.
I def think people are friendly though.

![/I][/B]
Angel xxx

Cherry, there are soooo many people on here now (compared to when I first signed up) BUT there is always someone there, someone to gee you up , as I am sure you have found.
You are right, posts sometimes get 'lost' and it can take a fair bit of wading through but you soon start developing closer relationships on here (again as I am sure you have found). I often feel I don't get to know newbies particuarly well but enjoy/appreciate everyones posts.
Its can take a while to get to understand someones sense of humour as well!

huggableshelly
14-10-2009, 11:48 AM
I did a serach for plastic reusable sports bottles which bought me to here!

I read for about 20 mins as a lurker and thought hang on I know how to help that person so joined jumped in and didnt stop posting for ages LOL

now I'm working more hours mumblegrumble so have less time to skive which has made my post count go from err 300 a wk to about 30 LOL

within 2 wks Angel threatened to ban me, Pauline stuck me in a box and i was labled as a pest!

Pipsqueak
14-10-2009, 11:57 AM
I did a serach for plastic reusable sports bottles which bought me to here!

I read for about 20 mins as a lurker and thought hang on I know how to help that person so joined jumped in and didnt stop posting for ages LOL

now I'm working more hours mumblegrumble so have less time to skive which has made my post count go from err 300 a wk to about 30 LOL

within 2 wks Angel threatened to ban me, Pauline stuck me in a box and i was labled as a pest!

Been wondering were you were Pest!

You may be a pest but we love you xx:laughing:

huggableshelly
14-10-2009, 12:05 PM
Been wondering were you were Pest!

You may be a pest but we love you xx:laughing:

work work work and weds are officially my day off but I spent it in school this morning and as from next wk I'll be working weds again LOL so much for having a day for paperwork but still the child who I'll be looking after is sooooooooooooo cute (parents say he is a devil lol) so I cant wait to start having him, he is mischevious but smiles back and makes me laugh (ok not a good idea to encourage him to laugh at me lol) need to get bk to school soon its roman day all day and my son has demanded i be there alllllll day

sighs hee hee life is never boring and glad you missed me heehee maybe next time I'll stay away longer to see if anyone else misses me too!

angeldelight
14-10-2009, 01:12 PM
sighs hee hee life is never boring and glad you missed me heehee maybe next time I'll stay away longer to see if anyone else misses me too!

Oh I miss you its one less person to torment :laughing: :laughing:

Angel xx

nannysue
14-10-2009, 01:59 PM
:blush: :blush: I lurked in the corner for nearly a year !!

I found The Forum quite by accident, i'd not long had a computer and was just playing around ! Then i was hooked , but didn't dare join WHY????? then when i did eventually join up it was ages before i felt brave to say anything .

So by the time i made myself know i felt i knew everyone else sooooooo well !!:laughing:

Even now , i may not say much but i'm ALWAYS here !:thumbsup:

Pauline
14-10-2009, 02:22 PM
I found the site when a friend bought a copy of Pauline's 'Breathing' policy to a coffee morning.
It just so happened that wendywu and I were booked on a policy writing course a couple of days later. I asked her where she got it and she told me so I came and had a peep.
We took the policy to the course and got the tutor to read it out much to the amusement of the class.
One lovely lady said ' I know who wrote that , I belong to that forum ! '....it was Blaze :clapping:

I came on here that evening and joined properly.

It took ages for me to post.

Oh Twinks that is so funny, fancy that joke bringing you here and helping you meet other members :laughing::laughing:

Daddy Day Care
14-10-2009, 02:27 PM
Oh how sweet Gareth

We love you also

xxxx

Ohhh called me sweet twice in a week, i really gotta go abck to being horrible :D

Gareth
xx

wendywu
14-10-2009, 04:48 PM
Someone gave me a copy of the breathing policy. I took it along and read it out at a Policy Workshop for a laugh.

Suddenly this woman jumped up and shouted ' i know who wrote that, she is a friend on mine on the CM forum'

Yes Blaze was that woman, and the rest is history :laughing:

huggableshelly
14-10-2009, 06:11 PM
Oh I miss you its one less person to torment :laughing: :laughing:

Angel xx

:laughing: what do you do with your time without me hmm ?

ORKSIE
14-10-2009, 06:28 PM
I felt so at home, everyone was so warm and friendly, still remember my hello post it seemded to go on forever.

Been here 5 months now :eek: Yeah i know it seems a hell of a lot longer and this is like a 2nd home to me.

Gareth
xx

And I have been the friendliest aint I gareth:littleangel:

Daddy Day Care
14-10-2009, 06:38 PM
And I have been the friendliest aint I gareth:littleangel:

lol hmmmm I think you mean MEANEST

GAreth
xx

Twinkles
14-10-2009, 07:09 PM
lol hmmmm I think you mean MEANEST

GAreth
xx

But I'm supadupamean :D

Hey we could start a new thread :thumbsup:

Daddy Day Care
14-10-2009, 09:45 PM
But I'm supadupamean :D

Hey we could start a new thread :thumbsup:

lol, hmmm the meanest, theres quite a few of you, it would probably be more popular then the sexy thread

gareth
xx

Cazz
14-10-2009, 09:58 PM
Before I joined this forum I went to bed much earlier :laughing:

I found it by a google search and lurked for a few days before I went for it. I was nervous because I'd never chatted to anyone online before.

Finding this forum was one of the best things I've ever done. I've said it before but I really mean it - I don't think I would have gone ahead with my registration if it wasn't for the wonderful help and advice I have got from asking questions and reading other peoples threads.

I did worry at one point that I would be kicked off as it took so long for me to get registered from joining the forum (about 18 months!) :rolleyes:

Finally, I would like to say that I propose Pauline be knighted for starting this website. Anyone want to second it?

Sorry I went into AGM mode then - I've been to 2 in the last 2 days! :laughing:

Pauline
15-10-2009, 06:22 AM
Finally, I would like to say that I propose Pauline be knighted for starting this website. Anyone want to second it?

Me? A Dame? No way - it would be such a pantomime :laughing:

angeldelight
15-10-2009, 06:29 AM

No comment :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Actually Pauline what about YOU ?

Did you wonder if you would get many members back then? Did you think it was slow to take off or did it go the way you wanted ?

How did you feel about posting in your own forum ?

Your views please :laughing:

Angel xxx

singlewiththree
15-10-2009, 06:30 AM
Well I found the site through google when I put in the words "childminding forum" I joined straight away and put a hello post without even reading any of the other posts. I'm someone who jumps in and thinks later. I then sat back and read the posts while I was waiting for people to say hello back.

I've been on a few forums and before I was always on here I was on a single parents one but was getting bored of that now that I have a BF and everyone was moaning that they didn't :)

I love it here, I like to read all the different ideas then cherry pick what works for me and use that. Its been invaluable!

I've been here a year now and am going to the conference in Leeds and hoping to meet some of you. Would love to go to the meal but money is tight.

huggableshelly
15-10-2009, 06:33 AM

ooh I love pantomimines ...

Angel is the evil wicked mean character
Gareth is the stud prince (cant say handsome as dont wanna cause anyone to spit out their morning cuppas)
Pauline is the wicked stepmothers (afterall she keeps me in a box)
and ofcourse I'm the lonely sad princess who needs rescuing
BUT along comes Orksie, he sees the stud prince, no way is he ever gonna rescue the princess so she turns him into a toad forever

the lonely princess remains in her box, the wicked stepmother still manages to fool the whole world into thinking she is the forum queen (though admitedly she is)

ok thats it from me before I get booted and banned ... giggles

angeldelight
15-10-2009, 06:36 AM
ooh I love pantomimines ...

Angel is the evil wicked mean character
Gareth is the stud prince (cant say handsome as dont wanna cause anyone to spit out their morning cuppas)
Pauline is the wicked stepmothers (afterall she keeps me in a box)
and ofcourse I'm the lonely sad princess who needs rescuing
BUT along comes Orksie, he sees the stud prince, no way is he ever gonna rescue the princess so she turns him into a toad forever

the lonely princess remains in her box, the wicked stepmother still manages to fool the whole world into thinking she is the forum queen (though admitedly she is)

You def deserve to be banned now maybe we should have a vote :laughing:

Angel xxx

huggableshelly
15-10-2009, 06:39 AM
You def deserve to be banned now maybe we should have a vote :laughing:

Angel xxx

sneaks off to find summin useful to do, morning kids have not arrived yet! maybe my clock is wrong but will enjoy the calmess a bit longer yay ... hmm cuppa tea time

Pauline
15-10-2009, 12:13 PM

Mirror, mirror on the wall, who's the peskiest of them all?

Need we ask :D

miffy
15-10-2009, 12:16 PM

Did you wonder if you would get many members back then? Did you think it was slow to take off or did it go the way you wanted ?

Angel xxx

Yes, Pauline please tell us

Miffy xx

Pauline
15-10-2009, 12:21 PM

Angel xxx

I did wonder if anyone would actually join other than a few people I knew who joined to help me get it started with posts and answers.

It was slow to start with but as more people joined then more the word spread. It was (and still is) great to see a new name in the 'latest member' bit.

It was strange at first because I seemed to be the only one answering questions and I was worried about appearing like a 'know it all' or giving the wrong advice.

Now I don't have time to answer questions because of all the behind the scenes stuff to keep the forum running :laughing:

Luckily we have such a great base of members who are always here to help at almost any hour of the day or night. Not many places you can get 24 hour, 7 days a week, 365 days a year help and advice FOR FREE!

:thumbsup:

Without the Moderators and Forum Friends I don't think we would be here now, as it would have all got too much for me to cope with on my own. :clapping: