PDA

View Full Version : Assistants and numbers

patevans
13-10-2009, 03:46 PM
My Mum is my assistant and she helps out on a tuesday, thursday and friday, she doesnt have a contract (is she supoposed to?) if a parent says so and so isnt in on friday I tell Mum she isnt needed so can either come in and be paid or stay home and not be paid but J's mum the other week changed her mind on a day off the day before and luckily mum hadnt planned anything so was able to come in but where do I stand if they book a day off and my assistant cant come in etc?

Chatterbox Childcare
13-10-2009, 05:12 PM
What does your contract say about notice periods? i would stick to that and if mum has to give you 3 days for you to get an assistant and then changes her mind and your mum cannot come then the mindee cannot come.

patevans
13-10-2009, 05:23 PM
What does your contract say about notice periods? i would stick to that and if mum has to give you 3 days for you to get an assistant and then changes her mind and your mum cannot come then the mindee cannot come.

Contract only mentions 28 days to cancel contract, I have this in my policies -

Please note: if you book a holiday/day off for your child then decide you wish to cancel please inform me in writing 48 hours before as may have made other arrangements and may not be able to care for your child.

How can I change the wording to mention about the assistant?

ChocolateChip
17-10-2009, 06:45 PM
I don't think you need to Louise, it clearly states about the 48hrs notice, you don't have to explain every little detail to them, just make sure it's ok with your mum that if you need to call on her she will be available up to the 48hr period, iyswim.
Sorry not sure that's explained very well but hope you get my drift :D

And just make sure all the parents have a copy of this policy!

madasahatter
17-10-2009, 09:47 PM
Can I ask if your registration allows you extra children when your assistant is present? I'm just asking because my mum works as my assistant on the days when I have 4 LO's. I have a variation in place to allow me 4 on my own, but as 2 of them are babies I decided to ask my mum to work for me on the mornings when I have 4 together as I felt it would makes things a lot easier (and it has, she's brilliant). I have the letter from ofsted approving my mum as an assistant but there is no mention of an assistant on my certificate because I didn't want to increase my numbers (other than the variation). I wanted to ensure that I was still able to care for all 4 if for any reason my mum was unable to work.
Maybe you could apply for a variation (maybe stating changing shift patterns/ occasional overtime?) to cover you if your mum couldn't work, but that would depend on the number of children you care for when she's present.

Chatterbox Childcare
18-10-2009, 09:12 AM
Can I ask if your registration allows you extra children when your assistant is present? I'm just asking because my mum works as my assistant on the days when I have 4 LO's. I have a variation in place to allow me 4 on my own, but as 2 of them are babies I decided to ask my mum to work for me on the mornings when I have 4 together as I felt it would makes things a lot easier (and it has, she's brilliant). I have the letter from ofsted approving my mum as an assistant but there is no mention of an assistant on my certificate because I didn't want to increase my numbers (other than the variation). I wanted to ensure that I was still able to care for all 4 if for any reason my mum was unable to work.
Maybe you could apply for a variation (maybe stating changing shift patterns/ occasional overtime?) to cover you if your mum couldn't work, but that would depend on the number of children you care for when she's present.

If mum is not on your certificate then it is my understanding that she is not an assistant. You do not have to increase your numbers because you have one.

You also need employers liability insurance for your mum as she is a volunteer.

patevans
18-10-2009, 12:12 PM
She is on my certificate and can have extra children when she is present.

madasahatter
18-10-2009, 12:14 PM
If mum is not on your certificate then it is my understanding that she is not an assistant. You do not have to increase your numbers because you have one.

You also need employers liability insurance for your mum as she is a volunteer.

I will ring ofsted up and clear that with them. I have the letter from them approving my mother as my assistant. This was going through at the same time as I put my variation in to ofsted. When ofsted rang me up to discuss my variation request, the approval for the assistant had just been approved and I discussed with them how I didn't want the variation to be conditional on having an assistant present, just incase she was ever ill etc. She will never be left in sole charge of the LO's as she doesn't have her first aid certificate (and to be honest by the time a place will have come up on a FA course locally I probably won't need her)

Yes I do have employers liability insurance via NCMA, it cost a whole £5 extra (I was expecting it to be more).

Personally I thought that assistants only needed to be on your certificate if you wanted to increase your numbers or you wanted to be able to leave them in sole charge for short periods of time.

madasahatter
18-10-2009, 12:19 PM
She is on my certificate and can have extra children when she is present.

If she isn't present you have to go back to the normal numbers of children (whatever you are registered for). So if a parent wants you to have a child for extra time (and it takes you over your personal numbers), you will not be able to care for them unless your assistant is able to work. As I said before it may be worth considering applying for a variation.

patevans
18-10-2009, 12:28 PM
She covers the full day anyway so wouldnt be able to cover overtime as she finishes at 5.30 when I close. I wouldnt be granted a variation as i cant get 4 children to and from school.

madasahatter
18-10-2009, 12:38 PM
:(
She covers the full day anyway so wouldnt be able to cover overtime as she finishes at 5.30 when I close. I wouldnt be granted a variation as i cant get 4 children to and from school.

sorry, it looks like you've answered your own question. If your mum is unable to work then you wouldn't be able to care for any extra children:(