PDA

View Full Version : Would you mention to mum?

Polly2
13-10-2009, 01:38 PM
I mind a lo that has been walking for a while and can now in fact run and is very able on his feet.

When he first started walking mum and myself both noticed (she asked me about it) that he walks very flat footed and one foot seems to have little or no instep and his ankle turns in on this foot iykwim...sorry hard to describe!

At the time I said not to worry and if she was worried to have a word with the hv but babies feet do change a lot and it may right itself when he walks properly.

Well it hasn't and I was wondering would you bring it up again with mum??

LO is 20mths.

Pudding Girl
13-10-2009, 01:39 PM
Yep :) sounds like Mum is approachable enough that there's no need to worry unduly about bringing it up :)

Polly2
13-10-2009, 01:43 PM
oh yes she is lovely - do you think it should have righted itself by now though?

nannymcflea
13-10-2009, 01:48 PM
It wouldn't hurt to mention it to mum. Kids legs do look knock kneed,this is normal and they are usually flat footed,lots of chubby flesh that recedes as they grow. She would need to see a doctor and not a hv for referal if there was an issue.

Having no instep is an issue as is a roll inwards as they grow. My daughter wears insoles that puts her feet(knees and hips) in the correct position,she's had these since 4 years old and changes them every 6 months. It has recently had an effect on her posture and curve of her back so they have changed her insoles for some different ones to help.

As for the gait of being flat footed,some 3 year olds haven't got the hang of the heel to toe gait whilst some 2 year olds have.

sunnysmile
13-10-2009, 01:54 PM
Mum sounds very approachable so I would definately mention it.

helenlc
13-10-2009, 03:01 PM
My friend who is a cm looks after a little boy who has just been diagnosed as being flat footed. He was very late to walk and they thought it might be his hips as one leg faces out quite a way as he walks. But it turns out that as he is so flat footed, this is how he has learnt to balance and walk.

They also said they wont do anything until he is about 6 and then put in steps in his shoes etc.

I would mention it to Mum as she seems apprachable and it would be worth her while that her GP/HV is aware of it.

Polly2
13-10-2009, 04:42 PM
Thanks for all your advice - I spoke to mum tonight and she was really really grateful. She is booking an appointment with hv straight away.

So even if it is nothing at least I am glad just in case.

gegele
13-10-2009, 05:20 PM
how spooky i was going to ask the same thing earlier and mum arrived so i said anyway but my lo is 5!!!!!!! she runs weird nd i always thought it was due to shoes but i looked at her from behind walking with school shoes. she inward walker. some sole in shoes would do the trick and save them futur back problem and knee usure!!
we just made an happy oap lol
:laughing: :laughing:

The Juggler
13-10-2009, 05:23 PM
I had a mindee with an inturned instep (if that's what it's called) like the inside of the foot is turned towards the ground for balance. He also used to claw his toes for balance. Mum had it checked out. HV told her to monitor it as he grew and mum did some manipulation.

He's nearly three now and it has improved greatly.

Polly2
14-10-2009, 08:29 AM
I had a mindee with an inturned instep (if that's what it's called) like the inside of the foot is turned towards the ground for balance. He also used to claw his toes for balance. Mum had it checked out. HV told her to monitor it as he grew and mum did some manipulation.

He's nearly three now and it has improved greatly.

Thats exactly what lo does...claw his toes.

Parent came this morning and said she has bought him some new slippers - more supported ones and has made her appointment.

Also said again how pleased she was I had mentioned it so that is good

The Juggler
14-10-2009, 01:19 PM

Parent came this morning and said she has bought him some new slippers - more supported ones and has made her appointment.

that's great. let us know how you get on.

miffy
14-10-2009, 07:34 PM

It's great mum was so approachable about this - hope it's something that can be easily corrected.

Miffy xx