PDA

View Full Version : Is this becoming the norm?

sunnysmile
13-10-2009, 01:31 PM
I had a call from a prospective parent last week, all looked good as I had vacancies until she said and you will pick up and drop off??? umm no says I as I don't drive to which she says well neither do I and has not called back.
This is the first time in 9 years I have even had this mentioned let alone assumed. I notice a few here do pick ups and drop off is this becoming the norm now?

LittleMissSparkles
13-10-2009, 01:32 PM
its not a service i will ever be offering x

sunnysmile
13-10-2009, 01:34 PM
I had to laugh as I mentioned it to my mum who said "they will be bringing their laundry next" :laughing:

Pudding Girl
13-10-2009, 01:36 PM
I offer it in certain circumstances.

EG: One family didn't drive (I don't either) but where they worked was bascially across the road from their house, and I was 15 mins walk in the other direction so it made sense for me to pick up the mindees, saving the children from having to be out walking to me at 7.30am in the cold and dark.

If it doesn't put me out of my way too much and is for the bebfit of the child, and fits in with what others I have, then I have, do and will again in the future offer this.

nannymcflea
13-10-2009, 01:40 PM
Absolutely not. I think some parents see it as them doing us a favour by sending us their children!

In certain circumstances there may be reasons for dropping a child off but as for "the norm"... I think(hope) not!

Lady Haha
13-10-2009, 05:32 PM
I wouldnt offer it either to be honest. I would be worried that if I'm out of the house picking up or dropping off then I am potentially not able to be in for a new mindee to be dropped off or picked up at my house! iyswim!

Little Bear
13-10-2009, 05:34 PM
I offer to collect and return children home. I do charge extra for this service. Most of my mindees are returned home.

sarah707
13-10-2009, 05:36 PM
I would consider it to offer an inclusive service for a child / parent / family with disabilities.

I've not been asked it yet :D

Twinkles
13-10-2009, 05:39 PM
Not something I would usually offer.

I once did it for a mum who couldn't drive for a couple of weeks due to an op.
It was on the other side of the next town so 20 min drive in rush hour. I asked for £2 extra to cover petrol and she said 'What every day ?'. :rolleyes:

FizzysFriends
13-10-2009, 05:41 PM
I would like to hear what a nursery would say if they were asked to go and collect the children from their homes.

madasahatter
13-10-2009, 05:58 PM
I've never been asked either. I have had several non driving families over the years and if it has been convenient for me I have occasionally offered lifts home eg if the weather has been truly awful or I needed to go out and would go close to their house anyway.
I have to say I think it unlikely that I would be able to offer such a service anyway, but if I did I would probably charge an extra fee for doing so.

Daftbat
13-10-2009, 05:58 PM
I have done it in the past but only if it fits in with my other commintments. Every situation is different - there are no rights and wrongs about it. I don't think most parents expect it as part of the service though.

Ripeberry
13-10-2009, 06:45 PM
Everyone drives where I live, rubbish buses in the countryside :rolleyes:

Hebs
13-10-2009, 06:49 PM
i collect and drop off one set of mindees but only cos they are related to us :thumbsup:

daisyboo1980
13-10-2009, 07:42 PM
i do but its my niece and nephew so i dont mind but im now looking after their neighbours 2 children and they have asked me to pick up i can hardly say no when ive to pick up next door , i used to drop my sis to work before the school run but have stopped that lol i also drop them home to i think i must be mad lol

Pudding Girl
13-10-2009, 07:44 PM
If you have a think about this and think you could offer it then it's worthwhile really going to town on your advertising with it as your hand would be bitten off by prospective parents, unique selling point!

sunnysmile
13-10-2009, 07:45 PM
If I drove it wouldn't be so bad but I can't possibly be dragging little ones out in all weathers just for one parent who could take a taxi or arrange some other way.

Pudding Girl
13-10-2009, 07:47 PM
Oh gosh no, I don't think anyone would expect you to do that, well not us, parents maybe!! :rolleyes:

Pipsqueak
13-10-2009, 08:30 PM
I collect and drop off for my friend (children) currently - its while she is on bed rest for the rest of her pregnancy and a while after baby arrives. It fits in with what do.

I will also be collecting and dropping of one of my new 2yr (the pilot project thingy) olds.

mumx3
14-10-2009, 12:25 PM
I have just started this and see it as part of providing an inclusive service. Ofsted were impressed just recently.

The child I have lives about a 40 minute walk away or 5 to 10 mins in the car. Mum doesnt drive and has a 2 week old baby. I offered.

I dont charge extra but I do get paid for my travelling time. So she pays for 3.5 hours but only has care for 3 hours. It works really well. I plan my days to do the toddler groups near his house or bring him back here with me.

Luckily the school I pick up and drop off from is just round the corner from his house so I can park at school and walk across to pick him up I dont really mind tbh.

TheBTeam
14-10-2009, 12:30 PM
We do the odd drop off and collection, it started to help a cm friend, she would have lost her two full timers if we couldn't help with the big bro, we already dropped off and collected at his school, so took him on, we pick him up from the other minders house as soon as he arrives, take him to school, with two others, and collect them, then we take the one lad home, picking his mum up from work on the way! It works for us, we get an hour pay extra a day, because she is saving on taxis, and she has her child looked after.

We get an amount of money we are happy with and my friend didn't lose his siblings, mum is better off because cheaper than what she was doing and she doesn't have to rely on a taxi to get back on time for any of the children.

Rach30
14-10-2009, 12:45 PM
I do pick up from school ( i mean meeting the parent there) and i also drpo off to parents at the school too. It works well all round for me but most importantly it works very well in my favour as i haven't got parents hanging around at my house lol !:thumbsup:

julie w
14-10-2009, 12:48 PM
I had to laugh as I mentioned it to my mum who said "they will be bringing their laundry next" :laughing:

One did bring their laundry once as their machine had broken down and they knew I had time because I was in all day!!!:angry:

The Juggler
14-10-2009, 01:01 PM
I do pick up from school ( i mean meeting the parent there) and i also drpo off to parents at the school too. It works well all round for me but most importantly it works very well in my favour as i haven't got parents hanging around at my house lol !:thumbsup:

I do this too - its lovely. half my numbers during the school run. however, then go to next school and pick up more so it's not for long!