PDA

View Full Version : Quick question - how do you say "0" when counting?

Cazz
13-10-2009, 12:26 PM
I've been doing some counting this morning with my dd who's 22 months. I became aware that sometimes I say "zero" and sometimes "naught".

Do you all use "zero" when counting with mindees? - I know I should be consistent and wanted to make sure I use the correct one for when she goes to nursery. Is there a right and wrong?

Sorry to ask a bit of a silly question!

Mouse
13-10-2009, 12:33 PM
I say 'naught' if I'm counting, but 'zero' if I'm reading out a number (eg. a phone number).

I did have to think about it though!

Hebs
13-10-2009, 12:33 PM
i say zero

Helen79
13-10-2009, 12:36 PM
I say naught if I'm counting up or reading the number but zero if I'm counting backwards like if we're pretending to be rockets.

Winnie
13-10-2009, 12:36 PM
Were you counting something? If i were counting something with a 22 mth old i would say 'none'. I dont use 'zero' until the child is learning to count out-loud but thats not really for this age. If you saw a 0 i would say thats a nought (but thats just me). Sorry not much help.

FizzysFriends
13-10-2009, 12:38 PM
I say zero unless we are playing naughts and crosses, lol

Mrs.L.C
13-10-2009, 12:38 PM
I say zero

Blaze
13-10-2009, 12:43 PM
I say zero

Same!:) :thumbsup:

nannymcflea
13-10-2009, 12:45 PM
Zero,naught,nothing,all gone,none...all words are correct,if you only use one type then they never learn that there are others to use too.

Cazz
13-10-2009, 12:46 PM
Were you counting something? If i were counting something with a 22 mth old i would say 'none'. I dont use 'zero' until the child is learning to count out-loud but thats not really for this age. If you saw a 0 i would say thats a nought (but thats just me). Sorry not much help.

She is counting out loud - that's what we were doing. At the moment she starts at the number 1 but I want to make her aware of '0' so I want to teach her how to pronounce it the way she will be expected to do at nursery iyswim.

It's something you do without thinking isn't it! As I say when counting I'm either saying zero or naught but when I say a phone number I say "0" as it's written!

Cazz
13-10-2009, 12:47 PM
Zero,naught,nothing,all gone,none...all words are correct,if you only use one type then they never learn that there are others to use too.

I agree but thought that's a bit confusing for a 22 month old?

sweets
13-10-2009, 12:48 PM
easiest thing would be start from 1 and not say the zero/nought. thats what i do:laughing:

Cazz
13-10-2009, 12:56 PM
easiest thing would be start from 1 and not say the zero/nought. thats what i do:laughing:

True, but I've got some of those large foam numbers which she likes to have joined together on the floor so she can walk over them. She points to the numbers and then repeats them. I suppose I could hide the 0 and hope she doesn't rumble me! :laughing:

nannymcflea
13-10-2009, 12:59 PM
I agree but thought that's a bit confusing for a 22 month old?

When a child is learning to count by rote it means they are learning the words,not "how many". If the child is ready to learn to count objects then put objects on the floor,table and point to each one to "count",you can go forwards and backwards,adding and removing objects,then when there are 0 you can use the different words.

Hope this helps a little in what I was getting at,I don't think it would be confusing,the more words you use the better their understanding of new words.:thumbsup:

nannymcflea
13-10-2009, 01:05 PM
True, but I've got some of those large foam numbers which she likes to have joined together on the floor so she can walk over them. She points to the numbers and then repeats them. I suppose I could hide the 0 and hope she doesn't rumble me! :laughing:

AHHH, I see why, you wanted a number for visual recognition...I'd use naught and zero,she'd soon pick up there were 2 different words.

Cazz
13-10-2009, 01:06 PM
Hadn't thought of it like that. Yes it's the words she's learning - she hasn't quite got the hang of doing sums yet! :D I'm saving that for next week :laughing:

balloon
13-10-2009, 05:04 PM
zero... but for some reason that never sounds 'right'!

If giving a phone number i say oh for 0 ie six oh eight one four

mad! :laughing:

ajs
13-10-2009, 05:33 PM
like you cazz i say naught when counting from 0 - 10 but zero in my phone number

PRINCESSDAISYFLOWER
13-10-2009, 08:16 PM
im a zero girl myself but when reading out numbers i say oooooo