PDA

View Full Version : Another rising 5 question, sorry!

yummymummy
13-10-2009, 12:12 PM
I have a 4 year old who I used to have one full day until he went into reception in September, have been having him 1 day after school. The school are now refusing to keep him a full day as he is not settling so he has to be collected at 1pm. Mum has asked me can I collect him on 2 other days. The problem is I have my full quota of under 5s on all other days. Could I count him in my over 5 ratio as i would do if he was just an after schooler as before or does he go back into my under 5s as he is not doing a full school day?
I am confused about this and mum is seething at the school for doing this.:panic:

FussyElmo
13-10-2009, 12:15 PM
My understanding is as because he is not full time he doesnt get classed as a rising 5.

Mouse
13-10-2009, 12:17 PM
I'd say he would go back to being an under 5 as he isn't attending school for 10 sessions a week.

You could ask for a variation for continuity of care.

TheBTeam
13-10-2009, 12:21 PM
How will the child ever settle if he is not there, but yes he will be in the under 5's although I am sure in this case ofsted will grant a variation.

green puppy
13-10-2009, 12:22 PM
Are the school actually allowed to refuse to keep him there all day?

yummymummy
13-10-2009, 12:30 PM
Are the school actually allowed to refuse to keep him there all day?

Apparently they can as he was only 4 in August so doesn't officially need to be in full time education until he is 5. They in this case can go back to the way things were done previously i.e starting full time after Christmas. I must say though that I have minded lots of rising 5s and never actually had a school do this. I have never covered this particular school and there seems to be about 6 mums collecting early! My mindee's mum not at all happy with the school though!

yummymummy
13-10-2009, 12:33 PM
How will the child ever settle if he is not there, but yes he will be in the under 5's although I am sure in this case ofsted will grant a variation.

You are right about him not learning to settle if he is not there, he walked past his older sibling in the playground and was absolutely crowing about the fact he was not staying! I can understand it if he was falling asleep as some are just not yet mature enough to last all day but quite frankly both mum and I agree he just does not want to be there!

Helen79
13-10-2009, 12:34 PM
I would have thought that he'd be counted as an under 5 but to provide continuity of care ofsted should grant you a variation.

I would ring ofsted about it & ask for an urgent variation if he's not classed as a rising 5 anymore.

Surely disrupting his day like this is going to be even more confusing for him & make him less likely to settle at school.

Helen79
13-10-2009, 12:38 PM
Could he try going back to pre-school full time?
He doesn't actually need to start until next Sept so could do another year in pre-school if he was happy there & start in year 1 next Sept.

singlewiththree
13-10-2009, 12:39 PM
I'm expecting to keep my daughter off part time when she starts next Sept as she is 29th Aug. I am planning on getting a variation. I would think the child is under 5 ratio so you would need a variation.

youarewhatyoueat
13-10-2009, 01:01 PM
The school can do this but they should be working with the parents, could he do 4 full days and 1 at playgroup or 3 full and 2 at playgroup instead of finishing earlier.