PDA

View Full Version : goodness..potty training a baby

mandy moo
13-10-2009, 10:57 AM
Just found this

http://www.parentdish.co.uk/2009/09/29/babies-without-nappies-is-it-really-possible-to-potty-train-a/

Do you have time to potty train a child this way..

Sorry if Im not allowed to put this on here, but it made me laugh:eek:

LeeAnn
13-10-2009, 11:01 AM
I have seen this before, I htink it is quite popular especially with attachment parents. Parents learn the little wiggles and faces that their LOs make just before they do the toilet.

Don't think I would be brave enough to try it though! I am all for reading babies cues but with an older child to look after I am sure I would have missed more than I caught!

nikkia77
13-10-2009, 11:40 AM
without wanting to upset anyone I have to say I don't agree with that at all as untill the sphincter muscle develops they can't hold it & who has the time to run around with a naked baby hoping to catch their deposits in the potty/toilet without leaving a trail as you go

am now laughing as I have that picture in my head :ROFL1: :ROFL1:

CherryBlossom
13-10-2009, 11:45 AM
Well I never, that is rather funny-the world is full of some 'great' ideas lol

x

Helen79
13-10-2009, 11:48 AM
in many countries elimination communication is just how things are done, no nappies at all.
It would save me a fortune in nappies & I did look into it before ds was born but decided it wasn't right for us.

Chatterbox Childcare
13-10-2009, 11:52 AM
Fair play to the parents who want to do this but they are NOT doing it on my carpets!

Schnakes
13-10-2009, 11:52 AM
LOL, that turned a bit nasty, didnt it?!

If a parent showed up with a three month old baby and asked me to carry on with the "training" I would have to say no!!!!

I think it would be great though, for people who have the time and inclination.

Sx

little chickee
13-10-2009, 12:57 PM
Fair play to the parents who want to do this but they are NOT doing it on my carpets!

My sentiments exactly!! I saw a programme on tv about this a while ago and it was full of babies and toddlers weeing and pooing everywhere - it seemed to me that it didnt seem to be too successful until kids where about 18 months which is when you can start toilet training anyway so whats the point!!

The Juggler
13-10-2009, 01:03 PM
seems fantastic, as long as you've got nothing else to do but sit and watch all their grimaces and wriggles all day long - never going to happen in our job!

mumx3
13-10-2009, 01:13 PM
I think it is silly they are just catching a wee. The child doesnt wait til a potty arrives.

sweets
13-10-2009, 05:52 PM
i'm sorry but as childminders we should encourage and support parents who want to do this, im sure the ones who work full time have plenty of time to constantly dangle their tiny baby over a potty, we have all the time in the world to do it during the day as we just meet friends and drink coffee all day!:laughing: :laughing:

ive got a 9mnth old starting next week i am going to try it!

NOT!:laughing:

FizzysFriends
13-10-2009, 05:56 PM
i'm sorry but as childminders we should encourage and support parents who want to do this, im sure the ones who work full time have plenty of time to constantly dangle their tiny baby over a potty, we have all the time in the world to do it during the day as we just meet friends and drink coffee all day!:laughing: :laughing:

ive got a 9mnth old starting next week i am going to try it!

NOT!:laughing:

Hmm might interupt all us cm's watching Jeremy Kyle all day

miffy
13-10-2009, 06:00 PM

Nor mine!

Miffy xx

Minstrel
13-10-2009, 06:34 PM
I've had a mum round this week who's baby is 9 months and she said 'oh and i've started potty training her'

i jsut smiled and changed the subject! :panic:

gigglinggoblin
13-10-2009, 06:55 PM
My great aunt did this with all her children. It was the 1940s and she had no money for nappies! I strongly suspect this may be a factor in why some cultures also do it.

There was a tv programme about it ages ago. The lady who was singing its praises was talking to the camera while her kids played, then the verbal toddler came through to let her know the one who was doing the EC at the time had pooed all over the floor lol, there was a huge trail right through the house. Not the best advert! :laughing:

She said they are normally fairly reliable by about 18 months - 2 years.

gigglinggoblin
13-10-2009, 06:56 PM
Sorry chickee, no idea how I missed your post before I added my 2p! We must have seen the same show

nikkia77
13-10-2009, 07:17 PM
My friends sister did it with her dd who was a year younger than my friends dd & she swore by it.

By the time she'd finished she'd replaced her downstairs carpet twice, dd mattress & she was toilet trained a month LATER than friends dd.

Yeah that worked well, not, lol :laughing: :laughing:

MarpleJollytots
13-10-2009, 08:00 PM
Ive always found it of benefit to INTRADUCE ( Cant spell ! )
the potty at an early age,from when they can sit up unsupported,for example getting them to try when they wake up,before and after naps,before bedtime etc,putting teddy on the potty,making it fun,maybe increasing the attempts bit by bit as they get older.I have found this works if done consistantly as part of a daily routine the same as brushing teeth or hand washing.Next step,getting them OUT of nappies .....if done too early it doesnt work,leave as long as possible 2 and a half,nearly 3.There is too much pressure to do it as soon as poss as if it is some big achivement to do it early !!!I started Jack 4 months before Nursery,he had few accidents and was also dry at night after 9 weeks from start to finish.I also belive once u want to get them out of nappies NO PULL UPS OR TRAINER PANTS !They need to know the sensation of wet nickers or underpants,the only time i put a pull up on was at nap and bed time and he was told that they were just for nap and bed time. Because i was popping him on the potty before hand he was waking up dry anyway.The only problem i had was getting him to sit still on the potty long enough to try.....i got a great magnetic fishing game from early learning and it was just for when he went on potty !! He sat still for agers,fishing rod in hand like a little gnome !!! If i was approached by a parent and i felt it was too early i would be honest enough to say so and give reasons why,i would agree to try and do it according to their wishes,and give it 100%,but again i would say if i felt it wasnt working.

Zoomie
13-10-2009, 08:08 PM
I remember seeing something about this on TV ....

mum was singing all the praises of baby being nappy free bla bla bla ... then presenter said is baby nappy free now, and mum's answer was no ... had a disposable on :huh: