PDA

View Full Version : Anti Bac Gel

janey81
12-10-2009, 01:29 PM
Do I need to get permission from parents for the children to use anti bac hand gel, I have no sink in the downstairs toilet so its the best option for me, they are all over 5 and I use a alcohol free one.

Jane

HomefromHome
12-10-2009, 01:34 PM
i would just to cover yourself:)

Chatterbox Childcare
12-10-2009, 01:47 PM
I use it everywhere and the Ofsted inspector was very impressed with it and that the children all knew out to use it.

I put it in my policy but no permission slips.

singingcactus
12-10-2009, 01:58 PM
I definitely think it is something that the parents should know you are planning on using routinely.
I don't know about needing a permission slip, but ensuring parents know what is going on their child's hand every day and allowing them to make an informed choice about whether that is what they want to happen or not is important.
I say this because I would not want my children to have to put it on their hands frequently - they would bleed and be sooo painful. If this were your only option then it would be a big deciding factor in whether I used your service or not.

Zoemum2four
12-10-2009, 03:58 PM
I also have it everywhere and ofsted were happy for the children to use it but i also so have hand wash so they can have a choose........I also dont have parents permission but it is written into my policy........

janey81
12-10-2009, 04:44 PM
Thank you, its not something that they constantly use, as most tend to use the upstairs toilet and I always get them to wash their hands with soap and water before snack and if they have been doing crafts or playing in the garden etc, its just the odd occasion that they use the downstairs toilet really. I am updating my permission forms so they are all on 1/2 pages I will add on the hand gel one to be on the safe side.

Jane

mama2three
12-10-2009, 05:16 PM
I have no sink in my downstairs loo either , and just put a washing up bowl with water and babybath in it for handwashing. its only the 'back-up' loo if someones already in the upstairs one , and dont think antibac really is appropriate for toilet hand cleaning as it wouldnt actually clean off anything which went onto their hands iyswim.

sarah707
12-10-2009, 05:17 PM
I would much rather see children using individual bowls of water and soap than the anti bac stuff.

It doesn't actually clean hands and you could find a child with urine or faeces still on their hands ... and of course transferring bodily fluids onto the bottle of anti bac... after use.

If a child is prone to dry hands or hand eczema it is not a good thing to use either as it will dry them out more.

I do understand your concerns with not having a downstairs toilet but just wonder if you could come up with another way of doing it...?

Hth :D

Heaven Scent
12-10-2009, 05:59 PM
I wouldn't use anti bac on childrens delicate skin either. If I were you I'd have some wet wipes in the toilet so that you could give their hands an initial wipe then have a basin of warm soapy water for them to wash their hands properly I would also help them with their hand washing and have hand washing lessons where you show the children how to wash up to their wrists, fronts and backs of hands and between their fingers. If you teach them to do this to 2 verses of Jack and Jill then rinse they will have washed their hands sufficiently to kill any bugs left on them.

Hygiene experts do not agree with the use of anti bac soaps as it has been found that bugs are becomming amune to them as often the soap solution isn't adeuately rinsed from under the finger nails and around the wrists. A nice smelling mild soap would be far better to encourage the children to use it.

If however, you are out and about and a child needs an emergency toilet visit where they cannot wash their hands then I would go with severl wipes with wet wipes and then use a little anti-bac gel applied by you.

Hope this helps.

Lady Haha
12-10-2009, 07:19 PM
I use anti bac gel for kids to use before they eat as getting up to seven schoolies in and out of the bathroom upstairs to wash their hands would be a living nightmare!!! There would be water all over the floor and kids slipping on it and bashing heads on sink basin etc, kids falling over each other on the stairs etc! If they all went up one at a time, it would be half an hour by the time they had all finished and the first one would have 'germy' hands again!!!!

Sarah, I usually agree with EVERYTHING you say, but can you imagine seven seperate bowls of water all lined up!!!

I will write up a policy saying that after risk assessing the children going upstairs to wash their hands before meals, I decided that it was far safer to have a bottle of anti bac on the table!!!

They do use soap and water after using the loo as I only have the upstairs loo anyway and I have a rule that only one is allowed up at a time!

Better get that permission form done too!!!:thumbsup:

janey81
12-10-2009, 08:22 PM
I agree with you blackandsparkly, I have up to 8 after schoolers and bowls of water would be a nightmare. When we get in from school they take it in turns going upstairs and washing their hands while I get snacked prepared, we use the kitchen sink sometimes if they are muddy or gluey, its a tough one, if I try and cover all the options I hope Ofsted won't mark me down too much,

Jane

nannymcflea
12-10-2009, 08:29 PM
If you use an alcohol one then do remember to write it up as part of your inclusion,remembering that some religions do not touch alcohol,be aware of this and OFSTED and parents will be fine.

sarah707
12-10-2009, 08:32 PM
Sarah, I usually agree with EVERYTHING you say, but can you imagine seven seperate bowls of water all lined up!!!

:laughing:

I think it would probably be better as 1 bowl refilled with fresh water 7 times! :laughing:

It's what I used to do before I got my downstairs sink.

Children would come into the kitchen (not near cooking area), wet hands, squirt of soap, rinse, cloth to dry and out again... fresh water... next!

It was like a conveyor belt but worked well - Ofsted were here once at tea time when we did it and she was well impressed! :D

sweets
12-10-2009, 08:36 PM

I think it would probably be better as 1 bowl refilled with fresh water 7 times! :laughing:

Children would come into the kitchen (not near cooking area), wet hands, squirt of soap, rinse, cloth to dry and out again... fresh water... next!

It was like a conveyor belt but worked well - Ofsted were here once at tea time when we did it and she was well impressed! :D

phew i don't think i could do that! bet it took ages! lol.

I only have 2 or 3 children at once and i use an ikea step for them to reach the kitchen sink, unless they are independant enough to go upstairs themselves. i use wipes and antibac when out and about but i tend to buy the tesco gel thats made for kids and is milder than the usual ones.

Rubybubbles
12-10-2009, 08:56 PM

heehee thats how we do it when the kids have been outside playing and need their hands washing for snack, as the kitchen sink is closer and they don't have to take their shoes off to go to the downstairs bathroom sink! Then they all go and sit on the bench ready for snack lol

I have used Antibac on kids, usually on my dd as she comes out of school (she is always picking up bugs and things:panic: ), and have as a back up if nothing esle

Sarahbelle
13-10-2009, 10:21 AM
What about a Suds Pump? It is just one part anti-bac soap to 10 parts water. I have it in my downstairs loo and the Ofsted Inspector thought it was great.

devoncm
13-10-2009, 10:55 AM
I only use anti bac if were out anywhere, at mo if i have to pick mindee up from school ill give her some until we get home so she can wash her hands properly, ive only recently started this as last week 50 children were sent home from her school and she is always with her cousin who is more often than not ill with something

CherryBlossom
13-10-2009, 11:51 AM
I think for mucky play, touching animals, going to the toilet etc I would always get children to use bathroom sink.

But, I carry anti bac gel with me everywhere myself, and will do the same for outings, school runs etc once minding.

i don't have a downstairs toilet, so would probably use baby wipes for other little muckinesses (is that a word lol)

x