PDA

View Full Version : PE apparatus in nursery playground

Tatjana
12-10-2009, 12:48 PM
Whilst picking up my son from nursery today i saw they'd set up a climbing piece of apparatus, which for that age group seemed quite high. There was one mat placed at the end, where they're supposed to jump off and nothing else. It's a hard concrete surface and if a child was to fall they could injure themselves badly:eek: :angry:

This can't be right can it? I'm going to speak to someone this afternoon about it when I do the school run...surely they should have a risk assessment in place for this? An if there is one, it must be inadequate or not adhered to:panic:

Am I over reacting? Would you be concerned?

xx

Blackhorse
12-10-2009, 12:54 PM
it depends how tall it is.
I think it is hard to answer your question without having seen it.

but I would probably be concerned about it to!!

you are quite right to question it and see their RA etc.
It is your right as mum!! so dont worry about it.

not sure what you can do if they decide to keep it though???

uf353432
12-10-2009, 12:56 PM
Well as far as I am concerned it doesn't hurt to question it. Nurseries and schools should always be ready to appease a parents concerns and by highlighting to them your concerns you may point out something they have not considered. It would be seriously remiss of anyone or anywhere to consider they had all the answers.

wendywu
12-10-2009, 01:24 PM
They seem to above our rules.

My local school who have just got outstanding yet the complaints poster they have up is about 4 posters out of date.

I recently marched into the office with a wooden ball finial off a planter with a 1 inch screw sticking out of it. It was lying on top of the earth in the planter. The other side of the planter had no ball as well but had the screw sticking out of the wooden planter.

The response i got was ...oh yes they keep coming loose. When i suggested they did something about it they said that if I was concerned I should see the caretaker:panic:

There is often Foxes poo in the playground in the morning, which we minders and parents have to point out.:panic: So much for RA.

wendywu
12-10-2009, 01:25 PM
They seem to above our rules.

My local school have just got outstanding yet the complaints poster they have up is about 4 posters out of date.

I recently marched into the office with a wooden ball finial off a planter with a 1 inch screw sticking out of it. It was lying on top of the earth in the planter. The other side of the planter had no ball as well but had the screw sticking out of the wooden planter.

The response i got was ...oh yes they keep coming loose. When i suggested they did something about it they said that if I was concerned I should see the caretaker:panic:

There is often Foxes poo in the playground in the morning, which we minders and parents have to point out.:panic: So much for RA.

Tatjana
12-10-2009, 03:21 PM
There's also fox poo around alot in the playground!

Well I asked if they had a RA as I was concerned about safety and the teacher I spoke to said she'd find out. So i'll wait and see what happens tomorrow.

xx

The Juggler
12-10-2009, 05:07 PM
Our school had that but it was only used in closely supervised sessions. A child could jump of the climbing frame just as easily I guess.

You're right though they do seem more lax about safety. Our playground fox poo is an issue but depsite that regular checks don't seem to be done, I always have to go in and point it out.

wendywu
12-10-2009, 05:12 PM
Yet we have to RA our gardens every morning for cat poo.:panic: