PDA

View Full Version : anyone had a tax investigation

moogster1a
12-10-2009, 10:52 AM
I'm starting to do my tax return, and as ever it includes a fair amount of guessing! I'm just wondering if anyone's ever had a tax investigation where they come round and look through all receipts etc.

ORKSIE
12-10-2009, 11:01 AM
:eek: No!
I have not heard of a CM who has been checked out yet. But as there are so many of us on here, I bet there is someone who knows of one that has.
What a scary thought:panic:

Mouse
12-10-2009, 11:14 AM
I only know of one childminder who has been investigated and I think that was probably because someone reported her to the tax office.

I submitted my return ages ago, but had a letter at the weekend giving advice about how to avoid common errors, as if you are investigated and have made errors, you could face a big fine.

I know my tax return was OK, but it still worried me. All weekend I kept wondering if they were sending it out to say "you'd better double check your figures because we're coming to investigate you"!

ORKSIE
12-10-2009, 12:01 PM
I worry every year when I send mine off:eek:
Not that I have done anything wrong:laughing:

TheBTeam
12-10-2009, 12:24 PM

Same here!

marian
12-10-2009, 01:00 PM

Me too!

Marian x

Blaze
12-10-2009, 01:08 PM
I do mine to the very best of my ability & the Libran in me is probably a little too fair on the side of the taxman:rolleyes: ...if I am investigated & I have done something wrong then I'll just have to cough up - but it'll be with a clear conscience - I'm a CM & maths was never my strongest subject!

nikim
12-10-2009, 01:34 PM
I submitted my return ages ago, but had a letter at the weekend giving advice about how to avoid common errors, as if you are investigated and have made errors, you could face a big fine.

I know my tax return was OK, but it still worried me. All weekend I kept wondering if they were sending it out to say "you'd better double check your figures because we're coming to investigate you"!

OMG i had that letter and i had sent mine off that week , and i thought exactly the same as you :eek: , glad im not the only one now i can relax a little :littleangel:

Chatterbox Childcare
12-10-2009, 01:49 PM
I'm starting to do my tax return, and as ever it includes a fair amount of guessing! I'm just wondering if anyone's ever had a tax investigation where they come round and look through all receipts etc.

I only know of one person and she happens to be the Chairperson of NCMA and described it as a nightmare. They go through every account (whether childminding or not) for all the family.

What are you guessing at? It should all be calculated.

Pipsqueak
12-10-2009, 01:59 PM
My hubby (before I was with him) was investigated - he worked with his dad and brothers. The tax man went through EVERYTHING for nearly 3 weeks - business, family all sorts and he described it as horrendous.

Guessing?????? Debbie - do you wanna do mine please - I keep avoiding it......:laughing:

I do think though the tax man has bigger fish to fry than us childminders

Chatterbox Childcare
12-10-2009, 03:47 PM
I did put a reply on here but it has vanished so here it is again

The only person I know to be investigated is the chairperson of NCMA and she said it was horrendous. They go through everything, including spouse accounts.

What are you guessing as it should all be calculated for your return?

PM me if you want more help

Tired
12-10-2009, 03:55 PM
I had a "sort of" inspection.

One year I worked and was self employed at the same time.

3 years later they asked me by letter to supply more information by post.
I had to dig out loads of stuff to send them.
A few weeks later I got a letter tellign I owed them about 500pounds.

I wasn't happy, but it was not painful, as they didn't actually come here, just did it all by post.

ORKSIE
12-10-2009, 06:37 PM
Same here!
Glad I not the only one B team and Marian:thumbsup: