PDA

View Full Version : Another registered rooms question!

Lady Haha
11-10-2009, 09:33 PM
The other thread about rooms reminded me that i've been meaning to ask you all this for a while!

When I registered, I was using my spare bedroom as an additional room for minding. I also registered my sons room, but not mine. So on my certificate it just says 'must not use main bedroom'. But since I've been minding, the spare room thing didn't work out and I'm now using it as a store room and the kids don't go in there at all now.

What I want to know is, do I need to tell Ofsted I don't want this room registered anymore? If it's still registered, do Ofsted require it to be 'safe' even if children aren't allowed in anymore?? Just that I have stuff piled up in there, bits and bobs etc, you know what I mean!

Blackhorse
11-10-2009, 09:42 PM
I am not sure but I would imagine that as long as it is registered they will want to inspect it and make sure it is safe....
I wouldnt think though it is hard to get a room taken off...should be easier than adding one.
I would give them a call to find out....you dont want to have an inspector come and mark you down for a room that isnt used just because it is still on your registration..iyswim...

not sure if that was any help now...:rolleyes:

uf353432
11-10-2009, 09:46 PM
I think if you explained on the day that although the room is registered its not used for minding at the moment. Therefore off limits to the children.

Advise that you want the flexibilty of having the room registered in case the dynamics of your children on roll changed - ie - babies - to use as a sleeping room, or older children - a quiet study area etc. If it was put back into the mix then explain that the contents of the room would be removed or made safe as per your original risk assessment.

In the mean time amend your current risk assesment to say room not being used and steps you are taking to ensure childrens safety ie door shut at all times etc.

Lady Haha
12-10-2009, 09:50 AM
Thanks for the replies, I just rang Ofsted to make sure and they have made a note on the system that the room is registered but not being used for minding at the moment.

I also grabbed the opportunity to ask about EYFS and my reception child. I told him I had her for ten mins each morning and he said as she is in full time education I don't need to be doing anything as it will be covered in school, but then I added that she also comes during school holidays and he then said, yes, I had to be doing EYFS on her for that time. So, if it helps any one else, there it is! At least now I only have to do obs etc in the hols and not have to worry about term time!