PDA

View Full Version : Extreme Weather Policy

clorogue
11-10-2009, 06:56 PM
Does anyone have an extreme weather policy? If so, if you are unable to do a Nursery run due to weather conditions, but you are available for childcare at home do you still charge?

Thanks.:)

miffy
11-10-2009, 07:00 PM
There have been other threads on this

http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=25279&highlight=bad+weather+policy

Miffy xx

youarewhatyoueat
11-10-2009, 07:08 PM
I f I was due to pick a child up from nursery and couldn't which would mean the parent had to, I still charge as I get fees in advance. It only ever happens for a couple of days a year, we may get snowed in and perhaps flooded. If the school is shut then I usually am but i've never been asked for fees back. I don't have a specific policy, as the parents would be unable to get to me if the weather was bad, but then they are usually still paid for staying at home so don't see why I shouldn't be as well.
It probably depends where you live as round here everything closes when we get a flake of snow,i'm in the cotswolds.

TheBTeam
11-10-2009, 07:18 PM
I will not put it in writing because all it would say is that i take all the circumstances into account at the time, the children i have, where it is they have to go to and i can not be sure what i will do until the event, so i will use my judgement at the time and will not risk myself or the child just to get them to school/nursery or anywhere else.

If the weather turns bad overnight and a parent can get a child to me then i will remain open for them, but they had better be sure they have the means to get back to me if the weather gets worse, because i feel that no one is that important that they can't miss a days work and risk their childs life to get them to me come hell or high water and i certainly wont be to keen on them getting stuck and not getting back for their child!

With the exception of one parent last year all my parents behaved sensibly both in their behaviour and accepting my reluctance to drive on a school run. The only parent i had trouble with was one who was only half way to me in an 1 1/2, when the whole journey should have been 20 mins, and they rang to say he was stuck coming to me, so i said that i was closed for the day because the weather was already getting worse, and no other parent was able to get to me, so i felt that in the circumstances with this much trouble to get to me, I was not prepared to take the risk that they would get back in the evening using trains etc, they often struggled without the addition of the weather and there was no way i wanted to be stuck with their baby all evening!

Strangely enough they moved their child to a nursery right near their home around 6 weeks later!

sarah707
11-10-2009, 07:39 PM
there's something on the parents page of my Knutsford Childminding website from last year you might be able to adapt...

You'll need to scroll down for it :D

clorogue
13-10-2009, 08:07 PM
Thank you one and all!!!