PDA

View Full Version : What do you charge when child starts nursery or parent's are teachers

Little Acorns
29-02-2008, 01:25 PM
I am a newly registered c'minder who has lots of questions and could be on here all day !! I currently mind a boy of 3 for 4 days a week between the hours of 8.00am till 4.30 pm come September mum has a place for him in the local nursery and yesteday mentioned that obviously her fees will be much lower as she won't be paying me while he is in nursery, is this the norm what ususally happens when children leave to go onto nursery, I would be really pleased if someone could answer to help me out. I have read the postings about charging more for less hours I think this is a great idea and may put this to this parent who will only want 5 hours of day care come September. Also while I am here what about school holidays this mum is a school secretary and I give her 12 weeks at half fee, is that ok is that what other's do if parent's work in a school as I have said all this is new to me and as yet am not part of any local childminding groups for advice.
Looking forward to hearing back from you all.:)

crazybones
29-02-2008, 01:29 PM
As I dropped off and picked up mindee for playschool last year I charged whilst he was there, as I was keeping his place open for those hours and if he didnt go I had him. This year he goes to school nursery at 12.30 and so I dont pick him up. Mum does. So I only charge until 12.30. She pays extra in school hols until 2.30 but understands that if I fill an afternoon place she will have to take him at 12.30 as she doesnt pay a retainer to keep these hours free. Hope that made sense.

Annie x

Twinkles
29-02-2008, 01:38 PM
I charge half rate for teachers and school staff in the hols.
Are you going to be responsible for him when he's at nursery ? ie;will you be called if nursery is closed or he needs to be collected for some reason? If so I would charge while he is there. Don't forget this takes up a full time place so you may have to look at replacing him.
Next time make it clear from day one that if you take to nursery or if the place is needed in school hols ( I know that isn't the case in this instance ) or are responsible for him while he is there, you will charge for the whole day.

Heaven Scent
29-02-2008, 01:44 PM
If you can't fill the space - charge. Even if they don't pay you they will still expect you to collect the child in an emergency because they will see it as you are nearer unless their place of work is near the preschool/nursery.

Celine

Noodles
29-02-2008, 01:45 PM
I have a mindee who goes to nursery in the afternoon every day apart from wednesday but because mum wants me to keep place open for her in holidays i charge her full fees as i cannot fill the place with anyone else.

I suppose if she doesnt want the afternoon place kept open you cant really charge her but i would maybe charge her more for part time hours as he is taking one of your full time slots.
You could possibly tell her that you have a minimum half day rate and charge her that instead.:)

ma7ie
29-02-2008, 01:53 PM
I make it clear to parents that I still charge full fee for the time that a child attends any pre-school sessions if it prevents me from filling my spaces.

I would only charge half fee for teaching staff during holidays.

Heaven Scent
29-02-2008, 01:53 PM
If you can't fill the space - charge. Even if they don't pay you they will still expect you to collect the child in an emergency because they will see it as you are nearer unless their place of work is near the preschool/nursery.

Celine

mum2two
29-02-2008, 02:23 PM
It's horrible just starting out. All these extra things you don't think of. I was in the same boat when I started. My first enquiry & place was for a 4yr old 5 days a week & I had take him & pick him up from playschool every day.

I'd done all my policies & procedures, but hadn't thought about this. Spoke to another cm who said full pay, and when I told the mum she wasn't happy. In the end agreed on half pay whilst there.

But I learnt my lesson, and now in my policies, I state & tell parents full pay whilst at nursey if I am to take & collect, and be emergency contact.

Both parents I have now who's kids go to nursery are fine with it!

Just remember now to add that bit to your policies from now on!

Kelly x

littletreasures
29-02-2008, 02:26 PM
I charge full fee while child is at pre-school or playgroup if I am taking and collecting. All my mindees are teachers children and I charge half fee during the holidays to keep the place open for them. They have never asked me to have the kids during the holidays though. Older mindee who is at school I just charge a set fee for before and after school and another set fee if they have an inset day, so come to me.

Jules

Little Acorns
29-02-2008, 02:42 PM
Thanks everyone for replying to my questions!!!!! :clapping:
when child is ill or school is closed mum isgoing to be the one taking care of him as she works in the same school were he will attend, so I can't really charge for that, really liked the idea from little cherubs about charging a mimimun daily rate will get on and sort this out later so thanks for that idea. Cant believe all the bits and bobs you need sorted what a mind field, should have got a job in tesco ..... I am trying to sort out how to advertise my business locaslly as well as this little boy I mind twins who will leave to go to full time school in September, I have had a few phone calls from mums but it's mainly part time, waiting to hear back from one lady what does maske me cross is when they say they will ring you back and then don't some of them need to learn manners and professionilism, :mad: I think I need to learn how to spell !!!. Well time to go my son needs picking up and then I am due a visit from the local fire brigade to do a home safety check really looking forward to it so are a few of my neighbours, hunky firemen (WE HOPE ) :jump for joy: !!!! TO DROOL OVER.
speak soon and once again thanks. X

crazybones
29-02-2008, 02:45 PM
:laughing: When my firemen came they all looked about 93. There is no way any of them could have carried me out of a fire. The also came on a Sunday afternoon. :rolleyes: And William slept through it all so couldnt even take some photos with him and fire engine. He did promise to call back if they were near one day. That was in November!

Hope yours are hunky.

Annie x

angeldelight
29-02-2008, 02:48 PM
I would always charge when a child is at nursery - after all they are taking up a place

Angel xx

you made me laugh about your firemen Annie that would be just my luck too haha

littletreasures
29-02-2008, 02:49 PM
There mat be some days that although the school is closed say for inset days that she will still have to be there. Be careful on that one.

jules