PDA

View Full Version : Diwali ideas please

Heaven Scent
11-10-2009, 05:58 PM
I have 3 children on my bookes who are all under 2.5 and I want to do something for Diwali that they can do or be involved in the youngest is 7mths then 22 mths then 2yrs 5mths - I also have a 10yr old 5 days after school for just 1 hr most days due to after school activities plus 2 sisters aged 9 & 4 years 2 days after school and as we go to the soft play centre every monday after school I only have about 55 mins on a Wed to do something with them between when we get back from their school run and go out to the next school - so whatever I do with them has to be really simple and quick.

I want the work to be their own - I'm a firm believer in that - fancy crafts and displays are all very fine but not much use if I do most of it.

Another consideration is that the LO's will have to do it after school too as We are out every morning at some activity or other and then they sleep after lunch which is followed by the school run - except for Tues and Thurs where we may have an hour if the after school activity is not cancelled. I also have to give the baby her tea soon after we get in from the 4.30 pick up so I cannot be too involved I can get my DD & DS to help the LO's - I will be in the kitchen with them while they do it but my hands will be otherwise occupied.

So now its your challange to fulfil my spec lets see who can rise to it!!! He He He !!!

Twinkles
11-10-2009, 06:00 PM
Some good ideas here http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=43600

Heaven Scent
11-10-2009, 06:10 PM
Thanks Twinkles - I've had a look but all would need a lot of involvement from me - I would love them to make some diva's with clay but there isn't anywhere around here I can buy some - that way I could hold the babys hands and help her to mold the shape - i'm sure she would enjoy manipulating the clay before I force her to make a candle holder (bad bad childminder) - then I could let her paint it with her hands - I could do the same with the other 2 LO's but with less involvement from me - is there anything else I could use to make the holders that wouldn't fall apart???? - I have millions of tea lights. The older ones could get on with doing somthing like this unaided too and their creative juices could flow -

Are their any simple foods eaten that they could make - I've never had so many so young before so its never been a problem.

Angela234
11-10-2009, 06:14 PM
I'm keeping things very simple

draw and cut on card around their hands and let them decorate

Rangoli paterns i.ve printed off some let them to decorate with glitter

Colouring pages including indian children in indian clothes

Diya lamp cut out lamp and flame shape from wallpaper/textured paper let the children paint and stick onto card very simple for young ones

Maybe cut and stick patterns/ chalk on patio

Older children can do hama beads rangoli patterns

Cooking chapatis

miffy
11-10-2009, 06:19 PM
Some nice ideas there Angela - thanks

I'm going to make diva lamps using the salt dough recipe someone put on here then let them paint and decorate

Miffy xx

Zoomie
11-10-2009, 09:56 PM
Some nice ideas there Angela - thanks

I'm going to make diva lamps using the salt dough recipe someone put on here then let them paint and decorate

Miffy xx

This is EXACTLY what I am going to do.

I made some dough with my children this afternoon, and got them to shape their lamps and make some spares for the mindees cos I wasn't sure they would be up to it.

BUT the salt dough is so so easy. All baby has to do is squeese the dough a bit and then you can help push a tea light in so that there is space to fit it and then stick it in the oven.

Sure a baby can even just put paint on their hands and decorate their lamp that way.

Gonna make some more this week with all my mindees ... even ones for just 40m in morning and 15m in afternoon. !

Why did I think this was going to be so difficult ?

ajs
11-10-2009, 10:43 PM
because i had 3 under 2 last year i just made some simple plastacine lamp holders with them
the children rolled the plastacine then wrapped it around a tea light one on top of the other
i'll see if i can find a pic
it was very easy and the children enjoyed it

Heaven Scent
11-10-2009, 10:48 PM
Thanks for that Y'all

hello kitty
12-10-2009, 09:00 AM
Last year I bought some little foil pudding basins and used glass paints to decorate and added a tea light. :)

avril
12-10-2009, 12:27 PM
because i had 3 under 2 last year i just made some simple plastacine lamp holders with them
the children rolled the plastacine then wrapped it around a tea light one on top of the other
i'll see if i can find a pic
it was very easy and the children enjoyed it

I am doing this on Friday at a toddler group we also have flower sequins that can be pushed into the plastercine to decorate them. Soooooo easy for the little ones:thumbsup: