PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about not minding for a bit

gigglinggoblin
10-10-2009, 11:40 AM
Can you remain registered or do you unregister yourself and if you do that do you have to start at the beginning if you pick up again in a year or two and have to redo the course etc?

I think I am right that I can look after other people kids for more than 3 hours a day as long as I get no reward, is that right? Cant find clarification if its childminding if it is 2 hours a day and /or for reward.

And dont know if I should mention any of this to Mrs Ofsted next week at inspection. Or if I can call her Monday morning and say dont bother coming I quit.

bubbly
10-10-2009, 12:09 PM
I'm currently not minding due to moving to a different county. I had to notify Ofsted of my change of address and mentioned at the same time that I wont be minding for approx. 6 months, as I'm in a rented house that would need too many modifications. I said I would contact them once I was a homeowner and ready to resume. Ofsted seemed happy with this. However, in reality I doubt I'll begin minding in the forseeable future, if at all. I had such a bad experience with a horrid family from hell and it really knocked my confidence. It left me feeling that I really don't want to continue. Hopefully the break will give me breathing space to sort out what I want to do WITHOUT losing my registration for now.

The Juggler
10-10-2009, 01:21 PM
I believe it's no more than 2 hours a week for no reward. Also think there is an average weekly/monthly number of hours of care.

If you're ready for inspection why not have it. Then, when you start up again you'll have a nice recent inspection grade to use to sell your services when advertising.

If you're totally unprepared, then I might be tempted to cancel.

Enjoy the rest from CM. Hope you are OK and not doing because you are too stressed.

LOL

TheBTeam
10-10-2009, 02:39 PM
OOH some days i would really love to give this job up, good luck in whatever you decide to do!

youarewhatyoueat
10-10-2009, 08:25 PM
I seem to think its 6 months of not minding that you lose your registration, not sure where I read that someone may come along to confirm that.
It's worth keeping your registration even if you don't mind at home as you could always register with nanny agencies or go for emergency care and babysitting as some of the agencies require you to be ofsted registered.
I've worked for an agency today and its much better money than minding.

little miss chatterbox
10-10-2009, 08:31 PM
I didn't mind for 2 years. I was registered in Jan 2005 just as I discovered I was pregnant with dd2 so I decided not to mind and put it on hold. I only decided to when dd was 14 months old so 2 years after registration.

Called ofsted and they confirmed I could mind, didn't need to do anything else as I had 1st aid, crb, icp course etc. I just kept paying my annual renewal fee for ofsted.

So unless their position has changed, you should be ok to stop, start again when you're ready as long as you continue to pay your renewal fee. I was however inspected a few weeks after i started minding but this was my first grading inspection so not sure if they would do that with you unless your 3 years passes.

Good luck, I sometimes think the same but other times I think this is a great job! I'll let you know what my position is after my next inspection in the new year!

youarewhatyoueat
10-10-2009, 08:56 PM
I'm sure it changed when the eyfs came in, I would check, I wish I could remember where I read it was 6 months.

little miss chatterbox
10-10-2009, 09:09 PM
ah i see, that's a pain!

sorry if I've just given you incorrect information. Good luck with whatever you choose to do.

bubbly
10-10-2009, 09:30 PM
6 months isn't very long for a career break is it? It gets me mad because people in other professions are able to take much longer breaks without having their 'status' removed. It wouldn't be so bad if Ofsted insisted we did a refresher-type course to update our skills, but having to go right back to the very beginning of the registration process is ridiculous! It makes me feel very demotivated. Is there any wonder people like myself leave childminding and don't return!

gigglinggoblin
11-10-2009, 12:13 PM
Thanks everyone, I think I will go ahead with the inspection (am not completely unprepared) and ask her tomorrow in a vague sort of way. Still not sure what to do, I only want to do part time hours with 1 or max 2 children as I have my own 2yo and I am not sure all the paper work is worth the small amount I am earning.