PDA

View Full Version : Unusual comforters.

jelly15
09-10-2009, 09:59 PM
Do any of your mindees have unusual comforters or funny names for them? A friends LO has an old sock of her fathers and calls it sumo:rolleyes:

Jelly

Pipsqueak
09-10-2009, 10:04 PM
No particular or unusual comforters but my Harry has one.

A cot duvet that used to be on his cot (!!) and one day when he was poorly on the sofa - must have only been a bit over 1yr old, I gave him the duvet and the edging bit must have felt good against his cheek. Him and that blanket have been inseparable.
9 years later it has no stuffing, its raggy, its falling to bits, its getting harder and hard to wash (as its falling apart), its has been sewed and sewed but he loves his blanket. Been trying to convince him to just leave it on his bed so its not taking so much of a battering all the time but he has it if he is feeling ill, tired, upset, snuggling. Bless his heart - its will be dreadful when the thing finally gives up the ghost.

babs
09-10-2009, 10:10 PM
my best mates daughter has a tigger that is no longer orange its sort of pale lemon colour and she sits by the washer untill its finished, then sits under the washin line untill its dry, its quite funny to watch her now ...shes 2

ORKSIE
09-10-2009, 10:13 PM
My DD had a (sp) "Knee Knee":huh:
It was a silk scarf and she called it her knee, knee.
She gave it up by herself, but "I" still have it!
She is now 15, so dont tell her I told you..Shhh:thumbsup:

charleyfarley
09-10-2009, 10:23 PM
An ex mindee used to have one of her moms old nighties, started off as a nightshirt and ended up as a small piece of cloth. I used to wash and dry it while she was at pre school as she would never let mom wash it.

My own son used to carry around our old pillow cases, they went everywhere, luckily we had 6 so it didn't matter if he lost one :D When he gave up his dummy he gave up the pillow case too.

Carol xx

Twinkles
10-10-2009, 12:34 AM
My friends little girl used to have a 'wo wo' any silky label would do. When she started school she would have them tucked down her socks :laughing:

She's a 27 year old international lawyer now so don't tell her I told you :p

helenlc
10-10-2009, 06:54 AM
No particular or unusual comforters but my Harry has one.

A cot duvet that used to be on his cot (!!) and one day when he was poorly on the sofa - must have only been a bit over 1yr old, I gave him the duvet and the edging bit must have felt good against his cheek. Him and that blanket have been inseparable.
9 years later it has no stuffing, its raggy, its falling to bits, its getting harder and hard to wash (as its falling apart), its has been sewed and sewed but he loves his blanket. Been trying to convince him to just leave it on his bed so its not taking so much of a battering all the time but he has it if he is feeling ill, tired, upset, snuggling. Bless his heart - its will be dreadful when the thing finally gives up the ghost.

My friends 2 daughters each have their old cot duvet. The 9 yr old's isnt too bad but the 11 yr olds is in the same state as your sons. There isnt a patch of material intact thats ****** than 4 inches square. When their mum and dad used to hand them to them, say would say Here you are. And they call them their Ee-ahs.

I was a nanny for twins whose mum was Irish and they called their dummies Do-do's. I was with them for 2 1/2 yrs and sometimes still call dummies Do-do's.

I used to regularly babysit for friends and one night their brother and sister in law were staying too with their 8 mth old daughter. She liked to have the cot sheet over her face!!:eek: I was like But that goes against everything I have been taught!! So when she did stir, I went up and sort of placed it half over.:blush:

A friends son had a thing for the silky labels and would often come to pre-school with whatever he could find - his sisters nightie, a blanket.:laughing:

Bitsy Beans
10-10-2009, 07:06 AM
:laughing: @ Ee-ahs - that's made me chuckle no end and for some reason I imagine the kids saying it in a northern accent :o

My son has the traditional teddy called Franklin but he used to chew his nose/muzzle area which just completely disintergrated. Thankfully my mum has done reconstructive surgery twice and he has a face again!

My mindee loves polished stones and she likes to rub them against her cheek :D :laughing:

nikkia77
10-10-2009, 07:09 AM
When my ds was a baby he used to rub the label on his bibs between his thumb & forefinger to go to sleep, he'd get this really odd look on his face when he was doing it aswell :blush:

The Juggler
10-10-2009, 07:37 AM
My DD had a (sp) "Knee Knee":huh:
It was a silk scarf and she called it her knee, knee.
She gave it up by herself, but "I" still have it!
She is now 15, so dont tell her I told you..Shhh:thumbsup:

my friends daughter had one of those you buy with little toy bear head in corner. she also called it a ninny.

My dd also used to suck labels and ribbons on her clothes when she was tired. When she was toddling I picked her up from her CM one day and she was walking round after my CM's older dd (12) sucking the edging on her long sleeve top, so kinda attached to her by her mouth. Looked very funny. CM's DD was looking at her like she was mad until CM said she's just tired!

daisyboo1980
10-10-2009, 08:01 AM
[quote=helenlc;547137]
I was a nanny for twins whose mum was Irish and they called their dummies Do-do's. I was with them for 2 1/2 yrs and sometimes still call dummies Do-do's.

i thought everyone calls them that, im in ni and i believe most people do lol

i had a cot blanket when i was wee called blanky lots of photos of it on the washing line and me crying and i have still got it its alittle worse for wear but it is 29 yrs old and its now in my pj case lol

sweets
10-10-2009, 08:20 AM
i used to have a child that was VERY clingy to mum and found it very hard to come to me, so mum had the bright idea of sending her with a piece of her clothing to smell, unfortunately she chose a big wolly cardi! that thing came everywhere with us, it got caught in pram wheels, dragged on the floor and came to toddlers. LO didnt have a name for it but me and her mum did! we called it the bl**dy cardigan!:laughing:

Hebs
10-10-2009, 09:33 AM
my 2 year old mindee has a dummy that they call her "yucky" :panic: :laughing:

Chimps Childminding
10-10-2009, 09:36 AM
One of mine used to have a terry nappy (clean of course :D ) Nothing unusual in that, but she used to push loads of it in her mouth when she was going to sleep :eek: I used to try and pull it out once she was sleeping, but she had a vice like grip with her teeth on it. Apparently her dad used to do the same thing when he was a baby!

Rubybubbles
10-10-2009, 11:17 AM
my ds now 7 a teddy, but he stays upstairs, he went for his first sleep over last week, and I put his teddy in the bottom of his bag just incase:blush:

One of my mindies, when he gets tired, starts to squash my boob:eek: and has a 'wriggle', I had to have a word with mum, and we agreed that he can nap on the sofa or rest as not really want I want happening to me thanks lol (yes he was breast fed lol) he is nearly 3 now

tulip0803
10-10-2009, 03:39 PM
I did shared care a little while ago with another minder and the child had muslins which I thought was quite sensible as they were able to wash them daily an give her another - until the other CM brought her to lunch club at the local family centre and another parent used it to clean the table as they thought it was a tea-cloth:laughing: . It was covered in gravy and ice-cream:eek:

cuddlybunny38
10-10-2009, 04:19 PM
I was my sons comforter, lol, he used to lay on me with his dummy in his mouth, one hand down my top (he liked to rub my collar bones? lol) and one hand up/ down his top rubbing his nipple,....................rofl now. shhhhh he is 17 now would kill me for reminding him. he was a breast fed baby.

colbarell
10-10-2009, 04:43 PM
My friends 2 daughters each have their old cot duvet. The 9 yr old's isnt too bad but the 11 yr olds is in the same state as your sons. There isnt a patch of material intact thats ****** than 4 inches square. When their mum and dad used to hand them to them, say would say Here you are. And they call them their Ee-ahs.

I used to regularly babysit for friends and one night their brother and sister in law were staying too with their 8 mth old daughter. She liked to have the cot sheet over her face!!:eek: I was like But that goes against everything I have been taught!! So when she did stir, I went up and sort of placed it half over.:blush:

A friends son had a thing for the silky labels and would often come to pre-school with whatever he could find - his sisters nightie, a blanket.:laughing:

LOL :laughing: that's what my daughter called her dummy, her do do xx

janedoe
10-10-2009, 05:10 PM
My 4 yr old mindee has an argos catalogue that he takes everywhere! he will sit and look it for hours at a time :laughing:

Zoomie
10-10-2009, 05:22 PM
My DD's comforter is her thumb.

She takes it EVERYWHERE ... :laughing: :laughing:

Pudding Girl
10-10-2009, 05:26 PM
I always for some strange reason remember an interview I saw with floella benjamin and her saying her son's comforter was a silky pair of her knickers he had appropriated :blush: :laughing:

sarah707
10-10-2009, 05:41 PM
I had a part time mindee a few years ago who had the most disgusting teddy in the history of bad smells!

I would regularly wash it while we were out and he wouldn't miss it, but as soon as mum came to collect him, he would need to drag it behind him.

Oh I still remember the smell! :panic: :laughing:

cabby
10-10-2009, 05:55 PM
my DD would only go to sleep if somebody was sucking her fingers, she wasnt fussy who it was, as longs as she had her fingers in a mouth she was happy:laughing:

and DS had a bit of a silk fetish, he had to rub the tags in the back of clothes if he was tired but they had to be the looped ones that he could rub together:panic: when he got to 3 we had to start cutting them out of everything, he had a winnie the pooh teddy that he took everywhere with him and he wore the tag away on it:panic:
DD also had a teddy that she couldnt sleep without, even now shes 17 " hopping bunny rabbit has to be on her bed:laughing: