PDA

View Full Version : Dogs and Gardens

Vyx
09-10-2009, 10:23 AM
Hi Folks

A questions for those minders who have woofers.

We move into out new home at the end of this month (yippee!) which has a lovely enclosed and lawned rear garden. My question is about the inevitable dog mess because I am getting conflicting info :(

There is an area of hardstanding that will be simple to section off to use as the dogs 'toilet' and a 'holding area' but I would like to dogs to be able to run on the rear lawn (during non childminding times) and play aswell, do I have to section a part of that off also or just remove any mess immediately?

Many thanks

Vyx

xx

FussyElmo
09-10-2009, 10:28 AM
I just remove the mess immediately. Constant checks on the outside :)

LittleAcorns
09-10-2009, 10:30 AM
Hiya, I have a woofer and he has free run

I would like to have a separate section for him when Im minding (its on the to do list) but he does have free run at the mo and will when Im not minding

so theres always the risk of him pooping on the grass

My advice would be to risk assess 300% with this, check area religiously, teach children to be aware, age appropriate, and excellent hand hygiene

Having a dog is a normal healthy family thing as long as children are aware also to be careful

little chickee
09-10-2009, 10:33 AM
i've 2 dogs and i just remove any mess as soon as i see it. Before the kids go out to the garden i have a quick check to see if there is any mess. I'm quite lucky as my dogs only ever go in the same area so its quick and easy.

cabby
09-10-2009, 10:43 AM
i have gravel and decking in the back garden, the decked aree is big enough for the lo's to play on without having to really go on the gravel, the dog only wee's and poos on the gravel, which is picked up straight away, the hosed down, to be honest she very rarely poos in the garden, she tends to save it for on her walks:clapping: :clapping:

shopshelleyd
09-10-2009, 11:03 AM
My dogs have free run of garden with minded children. They never mess in the garden because they have been trained not to and only go when walked, however, I do always check .... just in case! ;)

Vyx
09-10-2009, 11:11 AM
Aww thanks for your responses gang. They are really encouraging, it would be such a shame to have have to fence some of the garden off as it's such a good space.

Many thanks

Vyx
xx

Mollymop
09-10-2009, 11:23 AM
I have a dog and he roams free in the garden, he poops on the grass and I clean it up when he does it.

Good luck moving xx

Trouble
09-10-2009, 01:19 PM
i have 2 crazy dogs who have there own bit round the back, id have nothing left if alfie moon was left to his own devises in the front:panic: :eek: :eek: :eek:

at the weekends when were in the front gardens we have them in to keep and eye otherwise they just have longer walks to make up for not running around in it

Daftbat
09-10-2009, 03:05 PM
Mt garden is only small so impossible to section off any parts. I clear up any mess straight away and always check just before they go out to play. When the kids are in the garden i keep mutley in the house as all he wants to do is play with the balls and he ends up bursting them:(

Vyx
09-10-2009, 03:50 PM
Wonderful responses guys, many thanks. So good to hear of other minder's postive experiences with this. The trainer on my ICC (ICP) was adamant I would need to section off a 'mindee no go area' for the dogs, so very to good to know that, in reality, it doesn't need to be this way.

Plus we are renting so can only go so far in terms of alteration, plus we are skint (aren't we all) plus, by the time we have moved, we won't be bothered to do anything!

whisper_1981
12-10-2009, 06:08 PM
hi ya i am pre reg have my first inspection monday coming and i have a dog loo for my dog waist and a little fenced off area at the end of my garden which was ment for the rabbits but sadly we lost one and i decided that my daughter wasn't taking the responsbility properly for her rabbit that i rehomed her so now decided that my dog can use that area for her tolieting weather this will work or not is a different matter just a matter of retraining :)

PixiePetal
12-10-2009, 08:22 PM
Our dog has free run of the garden when I am not working. In the mornings I check for any poop I may have missed but remove asap anyway. Also make sure dog is wormed regularly.

To be honest, living in the country, there is more chance of there being fox poop about overnight - that's why I do my morning walkabout with the bags :rolleyes: