PDA

View Full Version : WHAT DO I DO???

CM+2
09-10-2009, 09:21 AM
A couple of months ago I did 3 settling sessions with a child child who was starting with us imminently, when she started a couple of weeks ago I realised that those 3 settling sessions she was under 1 and im not registered for under 1. It just completely passed me?! Now i dont know what to do as Ofsted are due in the next few weeks? Do i just say she was one or will ofsted want to know the date of birth of all the children?? ARGH HELP!!!!

sarah707
09-10-2009, 09:30 AM
Welcome to the forum.

If you have worked for the parent and received money for the child to be with you and you are not registered for that age group (perhaps because you have a child of your own under the age of 1) then you have been working illegally. You are also not insured.

If you did not receive any reward or payment for the sessions and they lasted less than 2 hours each, then you have not been working as a childminder.

With either situation, I suggest you document exactly what has happened and the times the child came to your home, in case someone makes a complaint against you to Ofsted.

I would then ring Ofsted and ask their advice for the future.

Remember if you work from the parents home you are classed a nanny rather than a childminder. Depending on how close the child is to the age where you can take him/her on your books and your relationship with the parents, you might consider this as a viable alternative.

I hope this advice helps :D

Straws
09-10-2009, 09:30 AM
they do check date of births of all children in your care, I would be tempted to say parent was present during the settling in sessions,

Straws xx

CM+2
09-10-2009, 09:36 AM
I thought of saying the parent was with her for these sessions too, the parent actually suggested this...I have done an incrediable amount of work and done everything to the book, so I certainly don't want this to spoil it?!?!

helenlc
09-10-2009, 11:24 AM
they do check date of births of all children in your care, I would be tempted to say parent was present during the settling in sessions,

Straws xx

Me too. Or say the baby stayed no longer than 2 hours.:thumbsup:

Mollymop
09-10-2009, 11:29 AM
I agree with the above, if they query you about it, tell her it was only for 2 hours and for no payment.
I wouldn't have thought Ofsted would look back at your settling in sessions, then check this child]s date of birth and work out the child shouldn't have been with you. I would think they would miss this information but look at the ages and attendance of the children on your books from now.

You'll be ok

youarewhatyoueat
09-10-2009, 11:37 AM
They may not notice I would keep quiet and if they do just be ready with the answer from the selection above.

grindal
09-10-2009, 12:29 PM
Is mindee over 1 now? If so then I agree with the above. Just amend your attendance register to say mum was in the house at the time. If inspector questions you, just say mum was there cos mindee was not yet one. Might be worth running through with mum as well, just in case she turns up while the inspector is there and they ask her about it. Or make a sneaky alteration to the date of the settling in session if it was only by a few days?

CM+2
09-10-2009, 12:37 PM
Thanks guys this has settled my nerves! the mum actually suggested say she was with me when we went fruit picking and to the park so yeah will be fine. I will just say that mum had to be there as she wasn't one but wanted her to be used to me before she started full time as mum had to go back to work 3 days after her 1st birthday which is correct.

That ok?

Thanks alotxx

Hebs
09-10-2009, 12:47 PM

Straws xx

mine didn't look at ANY of my documentation/contracts/attendance register :)

Alibali
09-10-2009, 01:03 PM
Good advice above, but I'd not lie about mum staying if she didn't as you don't want to get her involved if someone did complain, also it wouldn't look very professional if you were asking her to lie.

My guess is it will go un-noticed, omitting to tell something that hasn't been asked isn't the same as lying:)