PDA

View Full Version : capital ?? grant

mushpea
08-10-2009, 01:07 PM
hi there was a bit in the who minds mag last month about someone who improved their garden with a grant but i cant remember the name of it, my ncma lady told me this morning but i forgot it and i want to google it, does anyone know what i am talking about?

also do you think they will let me get a conservatory through it? need one for a play room,

ORKSIE
08-10-2009, 01:12 PM
In my area it is called Enabling Environment Grant.
Not sure if they will about the conservatory tho.

FussyElmo
08-10-2009, 01:48 PM
I know around here people have requested a conservatory and think some have got it but there are conditions to you having work done to your house. Around here to get a conservatory you have to committ to being a childminder for 25 years so my DO was telling me. If you quit or sell your house they want the money back.

Think my application to have my garden done was at panel yesterday - but to be honest Im expecting them to say no just got a feeling.

Its different in all areas so I would speak to your DO again and ask for the application forms :)

mama2three
08-10-2009, 02:06 PM
in this area there are several ' packs' they have put together and each childminder can choose one , going to network next week to find out more - i think one is an 'it' package with a laptop which is what im going to get i hope!. Would so prefer a conservatory though! dont think there'll be a pack for that! In other areas childminders aren't getting anything at all!

buildingblocks
08-10-2009, 02:21 PM
This is the reason I decided not to go for a grant from LA for my garden but took out a loan for the £8K from the bank instead.

At the time I wasn't sure how long I could carry on as a childminder as was looking at losing the only 3 children I had and no more on the horizon. Still in the same position and the garden work starts in a couple of weeks. Decided I would rather not go through LA and have to find that money if it came to it.

Just wish I could apply fro a grant for new equipment for the garden when it is finished as would quite happily give them back if I have to stop working.

Jules12Wed
08-10-2009, 04:07 PM
I'm getting a total of £7,700 worth of stuff, blinds, an awning, new patio doors, kids computer games. Only thing we have to commit to is minding for at least a year.

miffy
08-10-2009, 04:13 PM
In this area it's called the Early Years Capital Grant

Miffy xx

daisyboo1980
08-10-2009, 06:43 PM
we get nothing here in northern ireland and we i try to sign up for stuff it says excludes NI :angry:

Maguiresmonkeys
08-10-2009, 06:45 PM
I'm getting a total of £7,700 worth of stuff, blinds, an awning, new patio doors, kids computer games. Only thing we have to commit to is minding for at least a year.

WOW :eek: thats fantastic!!!
I have just requested my den pack (we had 7 packs to choose from- I.T, construction, role play, C.L.L, outdoor, Dens, Baby).
Why cant all areas have the same? Its seems very unfair :( but im grateful for what I am getting as i know some areas dont get anything :panic:

CherryBlossom
09-10-2009, 08:47 AM
I agree, no offense to anybody that is getting stuff-its great news for you!

But, there should be some sort of average that every Minder is entitled too.

We were told that if we lived in a deprived area we could get a grant..but it turns out this area was tiny-and nobody lived here anyway lol.

I def don't live in a well off area, and I would love to get some help with buying equipment-I don't have any children so everything I am buying from scratch!

x

sarah707
09-10-2009, 08:54 AM
There have been a few resourced evening training sessions for a very limited number of childminders.

Nothing else here. :(

Good luck if you can apply! I know some minders who have had all sorts of things including extensions to their houses :D

LisaH
09-10-2009, 10:37 AM
We don't get a penny here either unless you are accredited. Funny thing is we have no networks to join so how can we become accredited in the first place!!:angry:

tammerisk
09-10-2009, 03:27 PM
i think i have read my letter right as i am a network childminder this year the network has negosiated ict packs for network childminders if you are accredited and claimed fundign this year you get a laptop with pre instulled childrens softwear and i digi camera and a childs digi camera and pratical EYFS handbook by penny tassoni but you have to attend two traing session and pay about 60 opund for the laptop
if you just network minder you get childs digi camera and the pratical EYFS handbook

next year they are focus ing on outdoor space and will consider peole form the network and we have to submit what we would like"!"

conservaty patio sensory garden and under cover play area and anything else you are will in to pay for will be my anwser!!!!!

Chatterbox Childcare
09-10-2009, 05:40 PM
If and how the money is spent is down to the local authorities.

This is another area that NCMA are fighting for so that we are all treated equally and the education minister is aware of it.

The Juggler
09-10-2009, 07:15 PM
I agree, no offense to anybody that is getting stuff-its great news for you!

But, there should be some sort of average that every Minder is entitled too.

We were told that if we lived in a deprived area we could get a grant..but it turns out this area was tiny-and nobody lived here anyway lol.

I def don't live in a well off area, and I would love to get some help with buying equipment-I don't have any children so everything I am buying from scratch!

x

NCMA are lobbying to try to change things so there is some kind of equality of distribution to minders from one local authority to another.

Monkey1
09-10-2009, 07:27 PM
I started it off in our area by rattling a few cages, my do said i should get mine as i was the one with the gob!:blush: i had to put in a proposal....i have put in for my doorway in the playroom to be lowered and widened, a platform to be built to create more space, storage for toys so that i can rotate them better. Other people have just put in the piece of paper, i put in a whole presentation folder:blush: i had a phone call on wed to ask if they could come out with my DO to visit and go over it more....coming on thurs so fingers crossed for me please. Put in for £4500 so iam hoping i can justify it all to her. and i am sure my DO will fight my corner. We had choices of ITC bundle worth £2500 or handwashing facilities worth £750 or minor improvements up to the value of £5000

Amaranth
09-10-2009, 07:44 PM
We don't get a penny here either unless you are accredited. Funny thing is we have no networks to join so how can we become accredited in the first place!!:angry:

I'm with you on that Lisa we never get anything from the lovely Leeds city council (not even our bins emptied, but that's another story!):rolleyes:

I did speak to someone in early years about the grants but they said that they were giving it to day nurseries but not going to let childminders have it as if we move house or give up childminding any time in the next 25 years we would have to pay it all back. I did argue that a day nursery could just as easily move or close too but they were having none of it!

Monkey1
09-10-2009, 07:46 PM
I'm with you on that Lisa we never get anything from the lovely Leeds city council (not even our bins emptied, but that's another story!):rolleyes:

I did speak to someone in early years about the grants but they said that they were giving it to day nurseries but not going to let childminders have it as if we move house or give up childminding any time in the next 25 years we would have to pay it all back. I did argue that a day nursery could just as easily move or close too but they were having none of it!

Rattle some cages! works wonders!

TheBTeam
09-10-2009, 08:02 PM
We get absolutely nothing, unless you count out of date information from our childrens centre!