PDA

View Full Version : MY LEARNING JOURNAL..

v 1461
08-10-2009, 01:02 PM
hello,

can you let me know if I do the right thing?
The child gets a daily diary ans a folder: learning journal.
in my learning journal I have: about me form and lots of obs.
I do an obs on most things which go in the journal: every pictures ( ex; marks,creativity..) or photo.
does that sound enough???
I don't do planning and see what they want to play with, apart from morning as it is play group activities.
Am I going the right way?? I am sure I forgot a thousand of things to do.
thank you for helping.
v

sarah707
08-10-2009, 08:55 PM
What do you do with your observations?

The natural thing is to take them one step further and think how they feed into what you do next with the child.

These are your next steps and should form the basis of each child's individual planning.

So your obs shows that John is creatively using finger paints and you think he might enjoy mixing some paint... that's a next step you could write down for John's planning.

It's just extending what you already do to show ofsted how you bring the child on.

Does that make sense it's been a long day? :D

v 1461
09-10-2009, 10:29 AM
yes, thank you Sarah. Sometime I have no idea about next steps.
yesterday with a four year old we had a talk about healthy eating, and wrote healthy food and non healthy food , counted them.
so I made an obs with:1 talking, explaning
2 sort out items in 2 sets
3count each set and them total
Is that allright like that, all in one obs. I added the sheet at the back with lists of food and set.
now, what should be my next step and plan??????????????
can it be :1 improve her explanation , her talk?

2 practice adding?

??????????? thank you for your help:(

grindal
09-10-2009, 11:15 AM
My next step for that would be some healthy cooking they can help you with. Some soup for lunch or some all bran muffins for snack time. Also, a play picnic or going out for a real picnic. They could shop for the food with you, make some sandwiches or salads. Make some pictures of different food -in groups like veg and fruit. Write the names underneath them and look at the initial letters.
Try some tasting days - we did this with fruit a few weeks ago - got loads of diff fruits, cut them all up the kids tasted them and then stuck pics of their faves onto a paper plate.
I am no expert though - hope some knowledgeable answers come along soon.

sarah707
09-10-2009, 01:25 PM
My next step for that would be some healthy cooking they can help you with. Some soup for lunch or some all bran muffins for snack time. Also, a play picnic or going out for a real picnic. They could shop for the food with you, make some sandwiches or salads. Make some pictures of different food -in groups like veg and fruit. Write the names underneath them and look at the initial letters.
Try some tasting days - we did this with fruit a few weeks ago - got loads of diff fruits, cut them all up the kids tasted them and then stuck pics of their faves onto a paper plate.
I am no expert though - hope some knowledgeable answers come along soon.

Sounds perfect to me!

Not all observations have next steps, some just stand alone.

Others are crying out for more activities to link in - like the ones Grindal lists :D

v 1461
09-10-2009, 04:30 PM
thank you.
I think I know how to do it now.
I am getting there.
Another 50 years and I might become outstanding!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
v