PDA

View Full Version : Harry

Pipsqueak
08-10-2009, 07:56 AM
Just to let you all know, Harry didn't go in this morning. He locked himself in teh bathroom and freaked out. He had a really bad night (as did I).

It's not worth putting him through it, he was totally flipping out - so I rung and cancelled - 15 minutes after he was due in. Bless his heart, you could see his heart pounding in his chest, sweat pouring of him, hyperventilating, he was besides himself he didn't know what he was doing or saying - it broke my heart. We tried everything to get him to go, threats, cajoling, bribary, reasurrance - everything.

He has gone to school now and I am taking the day off and chilling out - well cleaning the house to try to get rid of the yukky feeling. I'll be ok later.
Thanks for all your messages and support - as ever xxx

wendywu
08-10-2009, 08:09 AM
Poor you and poor Harry. Well at least you tried, its no use him getting into such a state it will do him no good at all.

Hope he has a good day at school. He will have calmed down and be back to normal by home time.

It was such a shame they did not get on and do it when he was in hospital the time before. It is really their fault as both you and Harry were in Hospital so you did your bit. :panic:

Have a big cup of something and take 5min for yourself. xxxxxxxxxxHugx

Blaze
08-10-2009, 08:13 AM
Thanks for posting - I was thing of you & Harry...Poor both of you-what a morning! GRRRR to the hospital for making such a hash of things last time.:angry:

sarah707
08-10-2009, 08:23 AM
Hugs to you both xx

Polly2
08-10-2009, 08:26 AM
Oh poor little thing and poor you.

Have a nice quiet day - hugs to you xx

sue m
08-10-2009, 08:30 AM
Poor little Harry and you too, sending love x

PixiePetal
08-10-2009, 09:01 AM
Poor you and Harry.

xxhugsxx

mummyroysof3
08-10-2009, 09:17 AM
hugs for you and harry

charlotte x

emler
08-10-2009, 09:40 AM
poor Harry - I hope he manages to have a good day at school. I hope you are ok too Pip. Sending hugs x

LittleMissSparkles
08-10-2009, 09:51 AM
Bless him sending you both a big big hug xxx

ORKSIE
08-10-2009, 10:28 AM
Oh bless him, poor little man.
Hope your Ok :group hug:

nic76
08-10-2009, 11:32 AM
sorry i must have missed a thread.whats wrong with Harry

sounds like a stressful morning. big hugs xxxxxxxxxx

Hebs
08-10-2009, 11:35 AM
oh no :(

sending you hugs x

Pipsqueak
08-10-2009, 11:42 AM
Thanks everyone. He went of to school ok - think it was the best place for him. Think he went in the knowledge that if he is in school he is 'safe'. I'm ok too - have exorcised my frustration on the house a little - some things look sparkly clean now!

Nic - he was due to go into hospital for tonsils-out a week Monday gone but the hospital were incompetent and ignored my statements that he was really agitated etc - the op got cancelled when he freaked out. Rescheduled for today and he refused to leave the house - so its been cancelled (by me this time) as he freaked again.

Hebs
08-10-2009, 11:46 AM
so what you going to do?? not bother at all??

haribo
08-10-2009, 12:09 PM
sorry it didnt go as you`d hoped . poor lad - if you had any problems with him going to school before i doubt you will now !! is the operation absolutely vital or can they put it off for a while :panic:

Twinkles
08-10-2009, 12:33 PM
Oh Pip :panic: what a morning !

I think you've done best in cancelling it maybe next year when he's a bit older he may agree to have it done. Just another year of antibiotics :rolleyes:
I wonder if he'll just grow out of the tonsillitus ?

Deep breath , large coffee , go beat a cushion :thumbsup:

LisaH
08-10-2009, 12:42 PM
Oh poor Harry, and poor you!!

Try not to worry tho, I know a few people (myself included) who didn't have their tonsils out when they should have:) He will probably only get it a few more times and then grow out of it anyway, I would prefer that than the trauma of hospital!!!:)

Hope you are both ok:)

Pipsqueak
08-10-2009, 01:20 PM
I hope he grows out of it. He was my only one who didn't suffer from it as a little 'un - his started round about 7 and he gets such bad bouts. I think he is getting a bout now - could smell his breathe this morning, it had that smell.

Seeing as the condition isn't life threatening' I think its best to just leave him, as Twinks says more anti'bs and trips to the docs as necessary. Apparently the consultant will ring me and see where we go from here but I honestly believe I will get him no where near a hospital now. Which worries me a little because if he ever hurts himself on the quads (or any other thing he does) then we could be in for quite a traumatic time. Must admit earlier this year when he hurt himself racing and the trackside paramedic wanted to treat him in the ambulance Harry flipped out and refused and walked away - the only way he'd let the medic treat him was outside the ambulance and that took some convincing Harry. Didn't really think about it much at the time.

kindredspirits
08-10-2009, 02:41 PM
sending massive hugs to your boy - as i've mentioned before george won't even let me change his nappy laying down in a public place after breaking his leg in ibiza - i hope he grows out of it changing a dirty nappy with him standing up is tricky! :rolleyes:

you're right though, its just not worth putting him through it - so huge great bunch of flowers for mum for being big enough to stand up for him xxxxx

sending as much love and hugs as i can spare - which isn't loads at the minute but hope they make you feel a teeny bit better xxx

flora
08-10-2009, 05:21 PM
Poo Harry, sending you both love and hugs x x x

Pudding Girl
08-10-2009, 06:16 PM
How old is he?

Do you think he has a phobia? Maybe it would be worth addressing it now as sooner or later is going to need treatment for one thing or another and if his reactions are as extreme as that then that's not good.

How about hypnotherapy?

Pipsqueak
08-10-2009, 06:43 PM
Poo Harry,

My sentiments exactly!!! lol:laughing:

Seriously though everyone - thanks and from Harry - showed him your lovely messages and he thinks its 'beast' that you have said nice things about him!

George - yes I do think he has a phobia of hospital and dentist. Spoke to the GP and said about it and he thinks there isn't much that can be done about it:( Except provide positive experiences but how do I do that if I can't get him there.
Any suggestions would be most welcome, would hypnotherapy work for him (age and all that)?

Twinkles
08-10-2009, 06:47 PM
My sentiments exactly!!! lol:laughing:

Seriously though everyone - thanks and from Harry - showed him your lovely messages and he thinks its 'beast' that you have said nice things about him!

George - yes I do think he has a phobia of hospital and dentist. Spoke to the GP and said about it and he thinks there isn't much that can be done about it:( Except provide positive experiences but how do I do that if I can't get him there.
Any suggestions would be most welcome, would hypnotherapy work for him (age and all that)?

You may have to wait 'till you can bribe him with 'pretty nurses' :cool:

nannymcflea
08-10-2009, 08:31 PM
I have a phobia of dentists,my mum used to let the nurses pin me in the chair and do what needed to be done...I remember this from a very young age.:(

I'd go softly softly,a trip to the hospital to "drop something off"..he can wait in the car...then next time he can wait by the door and so on.He needs to see the hospital as a good and positive place.

Could you arrange a look around an ambulance?Perhaps the doctor could arrange a time to "chat" when he is up to it,at the hospital,no contact just a visit. I know they are busy people but if they have had a hand in making his phobia worse then they should be helping to deal with it.

Good luck and big hugs to Harry.X

estrelas
08-10-2009, 08:36 PM
I have a phobia of dentists,my mum used to let the nurses pin me in the chair and do what needed to be done...I remember this from a very young age.:(

I'd go softly softly,a trip to the hospital to "drop something off"..he can wait in the car...then next time he can wait by the door and so on.He needs to see the hospital as a good and positive place.

Could you arrange a look around an ambulance?Perhaps the doctor could arrange a time to "chat" when he is up to it,at the hospital,no contact just a visit. I know they are busy people but if they have had a hand in making his phobia worse then they should be helping to deal with it.

Good luck and big hugs to Harry.X
i agree
but how awful for you xx
Sending hugs x

nic76
08-10-2009, 09:20 PM
Thanks everyone. He went of to school ok - think it was the best place for him. Think he went in the knowledge that if he is in school he is 'safe'. I'm ok too - have exorcised my frustration on the house a little - some things look sparkly clean now!

Nic - he was due to go into hospital for tonsils-out a week Monday gone but the hospital were incompetent and ignored my statements that he was really agitated etc - the op got cancelled when he freaked out. Rescheduled for today and he refused to leave the house - so its been cancelled (by me this time) as he freaked again.

poor thing. he must feel horid all the time.

its going to be hard but hopefully he will come round. step by step.

i rememeber taking my 8 yr old to have some teeth out at hospital. we had to drag him onto the bed and gas him while he was screaming. it still brings tears to my eyes now but the teeth had to come out.

i hope he grows out of it soon as it must be nasty for him to have a bad throat alot of the time.

my friend has had all of her 3 in hospital over the years for tonsils etc out once they come round they are fine.

maybe taking him just for a small walk round now and again so he can see its not a bad place will help

wendywu
08-10-2009, 09:44 PM
Pip he needs to ride up front in an Ambulance or help out with St Johns.

What about taking a first aid course. Doing CPR on a dummy and bandaging up arms and heads may help.

He needs to be the other end of Hospital and First Aid as it were. At the moment it is the unknown, people being ill, and a place where you feel vunerable. If it were familiar to him and he could see that it is a place of routine and people doing their jobs, it would take the mystic away a little.

Harry the Brain Surgeon, run that one by him :laughing:

LOOPYLISA
08-10-2009, 10:08 PM
Oh bless him and hugs to mummy too :thumbsup:

I remember aged 7 having that big horrible gas mask over my face so i could have 7 teeth out :panic: sadly it gave me a huge phobia of dentists, im way better than i was now though :thumbsup: , i do hope Harry can get over his phobia x

Cazz
08-10-2009, 11:45 PM
Oh poor Harry - it must be awful for him to have such a bad phobia about something.

I do think (like others) that he should have some sort of "treatment" to try and overcome it while he's still young. Whether that's counselling or practical ideas as has been suggested - as you say there may come a time when he needs urgent medical assistance and being this way would not be helpful at all. Has something happened in the past that has triggered this that could be addressed?

I'll tell you something that will make you laugh (although my son will kill me if he knew!). He has a phobia and gets in a panic about...... wait for it! ....... having his toenails cut! :laughing: I shouldn't laugh as he really gets in a state about it - I have to do it otherwise they'd never get cut - and I have to really hold his foot tightly while he's screaming and shouting (the neighbours must think I'm beating him!).

Hope Harry can overcome this phobia and that he doesn't have too many tonsil problems.

Monkey1
09-10-2009, 05:11 AM
Oh No, don't blame you for not putting him through it. My mum had to drag me onto the ward when i was 13 to have my tonsills out, its a horrific memory that i would rather not of had! Big hugs to you both x

angeldelight
09-10-2009, 05:56 AM
Think you did the right thing Pip

My mom tried dragging me to the hospital for the same thing when I was a child and I also got very stressed and did not go in the end

Hope things have settled down now and you are ok

Angel xx