PDA

View Full Version : training costs

littlepixies
08-10-2009, 06:01 AM
hi guys... after compleating my nvq 3 ccld im looking into doing the foundation degree and topping it up with a ba hons but i dunno where to look for a place to do the course or funding is a big problem. Im a childminder not earning an awful lot with no savings..... im 26 this month and not sure if i can get help with funding at all?? any one here can help on this thanks

miffy
08-10-2009, 06:55 AM
Try contacting your Early Years Department they should have details of what funding might be available

Miffy xx

The Juggler
08-10-2009, 06:59 AM
Hi. a few on here are doing it through OU. I'm a bit rubbish like that (self study - I like to go with other people) though so I'm doing mine through college and uni. Kingston and Roehampton do it but I guess that's a bit far for you! I'm did Carshalton college and am now at Roehampton.

what is your nearest uni?

I would find out all the uni's locally to you that do the BA (Hons) and and ask them if they are associated with any nearby colleges for the foundation degree route (makes it a lot cheaper too if you are not funded). Our college was £750 (now £1200) as opposed to uni which is £3225 per year. However, my local early years team funded me for all of my foundation degree and have also paid £1,500 towards my third year.

I also qualified for a maintenance grant from student finance as you would be classed as studying full-time (gaining more than 120 HE credits in a year).

You will also be except from council tax or if you have a dh he will be classified as a single person (so a 25% discount).

I also got a payments each year from the Dfes which all settings got to cover release of staff from the setting during study hours. Partly to cover temp staff cover fees and partly to reward the staff member. As a self employed person I got the lot. It was £400.

OU is not quite as expensive as that I think you pay per module.

There's not so many books to buy - think OU provide them and most colleges and universities have good libraries and on-line resources where you can read books from their library through their own websites.

Roehampton is very exciting as we're in the teacher training unit which is based in a beautiful old building called Froebel House. There is an archive which has some of his original toys he designed for nursery education as well as stuff and writings from people like Montessori and Isaacs - all founders of nursery education. Most of it in glass cases but heh!. We are also lucky to have guest speakers like Tina Bruce and full-time lecturers like Peter Elfer and Sue Robson (authors of books I read during my foundation degree). Sorry got carried away there........

Good luck! It is a fantastic learning experience.