PDA

View Full Version : Black History Month

helenlc
07-10-2009, 07:41 PM
Ok so its Black History Month. 2 of my children have are black and one is mixed race. They are aged just 2 yrs, 16 mths and 9 mths.

What do I do with them? And what do I do whereby I dont offend or patronize the parents?

I can write it in my newsletter that we will be celebrating it but want to know what to put that we will be doing.

Or do I just ignore it?:blush: So as not to risk getting it wrong and offending anyone.:blush:

sarah707
07-10-2009, 07:56 PM
I did this last year...

We started off with Martin LK and his speech 'I have a dream'.

We talked about dreams and followed lots of interesting angles from there.

Your lot sound a bit young. I'd ignore it if I were you :D

miffy
07-10-2009, 07:58 PM
I think the children are a bit young too.

Miffy xx

Tatjana
07-10-2009, 08:15 PM
Are they interested in stories? You could get some Anansi books from the library and read them to them.

xx

helenlc
07-10-2009, 08:35 PM
Are they interested in stories? You could get some Anansi books from the library and read them to them.

xx

This is what I thought. And maybe some African music and songs as I know 2 sets of parents are from Africa (one from Nigeria, the other I am not sure).

Tatjana
07-10-2009, 08:45 PM
Sounds like a fab idea, have fun! :)

xx

The Juggler
07-10-2009, 08:47 PM
was just going to say the same. lots of ethnic books and music.

helenlc
07-10-2009, 08:58 PM
Have found this with some good links:

http://resources.kaboose.com/kidslinks/social-studies/black-history/Black_History.html

Feeling more positive and less worried about offending and getting it wrong now!!!

Thank you!!

The Juggler
08-10-2009, 07:14 AM
Have found this with some good links:

http://resources.kaboose.com/kidslinks/social-studies/black-history/Black_History.html

Feeling more positive and less worried about offending and getting it wrong now!!!

Thank you!!

I think that your parents would really appreciate it.

moogster1a
08-10-2009, 08:39 AM
i'd ignore it. they're only babies. failing that, introduce a white history day, or a celebrate being English day later in the year.

helenlc
08-10-2009, 11:06 AM
I think that your parents would really appreciate it.

Thank you!

I didnt really want to ignore it but none of them have said anything and maybe they are not aware. I didnt want to go wading in with saying We are celebrating this in October and doing it insensitively. But I think there are some crafts and things we can do that are not too over the top but acknowledge it nonetheless.

The Juggler
08-10-2009, 11:33 AM
go to your local library too, they always celebrate it and will probably have some sessions/activities geared around it.

LOL

Lady Haha
08-10-2009, 08:27 PM
i'd ignore it. they're only babies. failing that, introduce a white history day, or a celebrate being English day later in the year.

????????????????????

I think the cm wanted to make a point of celebrating Black History Month because two of her mindees are black and one is mixed race and this would therefore promote a positive image for them (had they been a little older!). I don't think White History Day is going to give them the same sense of pride somehow!

moogster1a
09-10-2009, 10:25 AM
I just find the idea of black history month patronising and demeaning. There is no black or white history, there is history.. Small children especially shouldn't be made to feel that there is something different about their skin colour.By highlighting black history moth you are telling them they are different in some way to white people. ( ps. black history month is the second week of February , designated by Carter G. Woodson! )