PDA

View Full Version : SEF Who's Rebelling????

Dragonfly
07-10-2009, 07:09 PM
Is there anyone that is NOT going to fill in there SEF??? just wondering.

balloon
07-10-2009, 07:18 PM
I haven't and have no intention of doing so until it's made compulsory.

I do evaluate my work/progress etc in other (written) ways though which were deemed fine by my last inspector.

ajs
07-10-2009, 07:18 PM
ME i hadn't done mine and got the call for my inspection she said that obviously would prefer me to have filled it in before she came but understood if i hadn't

and despite loads of help from sarah nev i just didn't have time to do all that i needed to do so i wrote my own using the headings from the ofsted one

she didn't make any comment on what i did so not sure if doing the official one would have been better for my grading ( i got GOOD)

Hebs
07-10-2009, 07:21 PM
i didn't do mine either :D

nic76
07-10-2009, 07:22 PM
not done mine

Stanfield
07-10-2009, 07:25 PM
Havn't had time for mine yet, hope to do it before the inspection, but not counting my chickens, I have much more important paperwork to do before my SEF!!!!

avril
07-10-2009, 07:30 PM
Haven't done mine yet but will be doing it, I have just bought the ebook from Sarah Nev to help me BUT it's when I have time!!!!:rolleyes:
Anything to get ofsted out of the house quicker when they do come:laughing:

sweets
07-10-2009, 07:30 PM
me neither! i started it then thought it was absolutlely ridiculous so gave up. i got a good without it which suits me fine.

Hebs
07-10-2009, 07:51 PM
Haven't done mine yet but will be doing it, I have just bought the ebook from Sarah Nev to help me BUT it's when I have time!!!!:rolleyes:

my inspection was just under 2 hours without my SEF :thumbsup:

Rach30
07-10-2009, 08:08 PM
Me , Not done it wont do it end of .

avril
07-10-2009, 08:10 PM

Don't shatter my illusions PLEASE! :laughing:

Ripeberry
07-10-2009, 08:12 PM
I've got everything ready to do it, but now they are changing the form I'll do it in November, then call Ofsted to say I've started minding. Otherwise they will just have to do with a handwritten one :D

Mouse
07-10-2009, 08:12 PM
Did mine ages ago, didn't find it too bad at all & thought it really helped when it came to my inspection :D

Mouse
07-10-2009, 08:13 PM

Mine was 4 and a half hours with SEF! Don't believe the myth that a completed SEF leads to a shorter inspection - it doesn't!

Rubybubbles
07-10-2009, 08:14 PM
not done mine

I had an inspection in Nov and she just asked me:D my inspection was very long though (over 4 hours:( )

Probey9
07-10-2009, 08:26 PM
Hi, I have just joined tonight, bit scary trying to find my way around but here goes.

Not yet been brave enough to have a go at completing the SEF. Just recently started my NVQ3 and stupidly wrote somewhere in there that I would be completing it!! My inspection is due in July 2010 and I have heard there is a new form coming out at the end of October 2009, anyone else heard this?

cher25
07-10-2009, 08:36 PM
I havent done mine. Infact i havent even looked at it yet and as for the login details well i have no idea where they are. Got enough on my plate at the moment, so im not worrying about that on top!

Hebs
07-10-2009, 08:37 PM
Mine was 4 and a half hours with SEF! Don't believe the myth that a completed SEF leads to a shorter inspection - it doesn't!

exactly :thumbsup:
mine was 2 hours WITHOUT it :D

HomefromHome
07-10-2009, 08:42 PM
i aint doin it online!!! i have practically done the old style one in writing - have printed off the new one (in draft ink to save ink!!) but havnt done it yet - it makes no odds to lenghth of ofsted visit.... and they can read it here as well as all the other stacks of paperwork i have done!!! if it takes 6 hrs it takes 6 hrs - i dont care - i've worked flippin hard so they can d*m well sit there and look at it all!

and breathe!:D

Lick'le Oakes
07-10-2009, 08:43 PM
It did help with my inspection. it was only hour long though. Part of me wishes i hadn't done it so i might off had a proper inspection. I also think if they are going to judge you on it and quote out of it for your report then they should make it compulsary.

nannymcflea
07-10-2009, 08:45 PM

I did mine a year ago and my inspection was nearly 5 hours...did we have the same lady?:laughing:

sarah707
07-10-2009, 08:49 PM
Hi, I have just joined tonight, bit scary trying to find my way around but here goes.

Not yet been brave enough to have a go at completing the SEF. Just recently started my NVQ3 and stupidly wrote somewhere in there that I would be completing it!! My inspection is due in July 2010 and I have heard there is a new form coming out at the end of October 2009, anyone else heard this?

Welcome to the forum!

The new SEF is in paper form on the Ofsted website.

It will be uploaded for putting information into soon... they said by the middle of the month but it's apparently taking longer than they thought.

Enjoy the forum :D

Probey9
07-10-2009, 09:09 PM
Thanks Sarah

Will keep a look out for it, no doubt I will be asking for help in due course.

Chanelle
07-10-2009, 09:19 PM
I am currently doing mine right now! But as I always do have gotten chatting on here instead lol

My inspection is next Tuesday, I started mine 3 days ago.

It is very hard going I think but I am determined to finish it as I dont want to be asked all the questions while she is here, purely because I cant answer on the spot questions, my brain goes all mushy and I just look at people and smile lmao !!

That would make me loo a bit of a Bozo !! lmao :p

So I am going now to finish it .... well do an extra question, that will take me to bedtime lol !! :laughing:

ajs
07-10-2009, 09:23 PM

snap

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

ORKSIE
07-10-2009, 10:39 PM
I did mine and got a GooD:)

mandy moo
08-10-2009, 01:22 PM
I logged on and got my code thingy.
But not had time just recentlyto fill in

Pipsqueak
08-10-2009, 01:27 PM
I am just rebelling!!!!:(

Not sure what against but I am so there and ner ner ner and you can't stop me!!!

aahhh that feels better

buildingblocks
08-10-2009, 02:41 PM
I did mine using Sarah's SEF but hadn't uploaded it. Gave inspector a copy to take away and she looked at it while here. I have decided that I will not be uploading it but printing a copy of to keep in a file updating it every six months.

The only reason this might change is to be accredited here you have to complete your SEF and I am not sure if they will insist on it being uploaded for that to count.

At the end of the day I think it will be like everything else and depend on who is inspecting you - mine was lovely this time.

buildingblocks
08-10-2009, 02:42 PM

Buy Sarah's SEF ebook - its the best thing going and takes the scariness out of completing the SEF

Bitsy Beans
08-10-2009, 03:57 PM
I have had a few late nights filling mine in this week. I told my inspector on the phone that I hadn't done it and she told me that if I was happy that I could fluently communicate everything then that was fine - it's not compulsory. I am naff in interviews etc and with 3 kids (one of which is my own being a horrendous whinge bag due to teething) I think I am better off with a SEF.
Quite frankly though I think it's a total waste of time. Given I have only 1 mindee at the moment 1 day a week the amount of time I am spending on paperwork I am not earning anything to compensate the loss of my free time :angry:

Zoemum2four
08-10-2009, 04:43 PM
Started mine with good intentions but havent got round to finishing it, and have had a ofsted inspection in the mean time (that was in december 2008):eek: and she really didnt have alot to say about it, just asked why i hadnt done it....my reply was its "repetative"....... and i feel like im just repeating myself......... oh dear quess i need to get my act together and finish it.....

Dragonfly
09-10-2009, 07:49 PM
Thank you for your replies all intresting. I am the same as Sweets started but thought this is stupid and gave up , not had inspection yet but hey ho what will be will be!!!:(

babs
09-10-2009, 11:04 PM
i didnt do mine and inspection lasted round 2hrs without one ...

Toothfairy
10-10-2009, 08:34 AM
I am in the process of doing mine. I have got Sarah's book and last Tuesday I went on the first of two evening courses on filling out the SEF run by the NCMA.

It was a waste of time, when we first arrived we were asked what we thought SEF means. We then spent the next 2hrs going over this again and again and again.
When one childminder plucked up the courage to ask the tutor 'what did the last 2hrs have to do in helping us fill in the form', the tutor tried to make light of her question, it then turned into a bit of a heated discussion. The tutor, knowing that she didnt have the answers then very rudely just said 'what ever' turned back to the white board and carried on with the next topic!!!

We alll came out and stood in the carpark talking, not one of us were any the clearer on how to fill in the SEF and we all thought it was a complete waste of time. We have got to endure part 2 next week. :(

sarah707
10-10-2009, 08:54 AM
I am in the process of doing mine. I have got Sarah's book and last Tuesday I went on the first of two evening courses on filling out the SEF run by the NCMA.

It was a waste of time, when we first arrived we were asked what we thought SEF means. We then spent the next 2hrs going over this again and again and again.
When one childminder plucked up the courage to ask the tutor 'what did the last 2hrs have to do in helping us fill in the form', the tutor tried to make light of her question, it then turned into a bit of a heated discussion. The tutor, knowing that she didnt have the answers then very rudely just said 'what ever' turned back to the white board and carried on with the next topic!!!

We alll came out and stood in the carpark talking, not one of us were any the clearer on how to fill in the SEF and we all thought it was a complete waste of time. We have got to endure part 2 next week. :(

I've heard this from sooo many people! :( What a waste of time and energy especially after a long day working.

Hopefully you'll get all the pointers in the right direction from my stuff. :D