PDA

View Full Version : keeping control in car

brightstar
07-10-2009, 03:23 PM
For the last couple of days my mindees aged 8 and 6 have been really unruly on the morning school run. They are shouting and bouncing around (as much as their seat belts allow), putting their feet up on the seats in front, upsetting the babies and causing distraction for me. I have seperated them, which mum agrees with, but she says they are always like it for her. Does anyone have any tips on what I can do?

mama2three
07-10-2009, 03:47 PM
make them run along behind? :laughing: :laughing:

or bribery!

sweets
07-10-2009, 03:57 PM
i would just pull over and stop the car, dont say anything till they have asked you why you have stopped and then say that you cant concentrate while they are messing about and that you dont want to cause an accident and hurt anyone. say you will go again when they are behaving and tell them that they can explain to the teacher and the head why they are late!

It works, ive done it before

Rubybubbles
07-10-2009, 04:00 PM
i would just pull over and stop the car, dont say anything till they have asked you why you have stopped and then say that you cant concentrate while they are messing about and that you dont want to cause an accident and hurt anyone. say you will go again when they are behaving and tell them that they can explain to the teacher and the head why they are late!

that is what I would do too:thumbsup:

at 8 and 6 they really should know better:panic:

little daisies
07-10-2009, 05:23 PM
threaten to put them in baby seats if thats how they are going to behave. after all its your car they are going to ruin

Blackhorse
07-10-2009, 05:48 PM

I really like this idea..

maybe tell mum you will do this so they can give the school a heads up.
do the same on the way home so they dont get any play time.
obviously you have little one's in the car too so it cant go on forever, but hopefully they are easier entertained....

mushpea
07-10-2009, 05:50 PM
is it to far a walk? if not you could threaten to make them walk there and back each day if they cant behave in the car but you would need to follow it through to work? or maybe you could stop the car within a reaonable distance when they are mucking about and then make them walk from there (with you of course) telling them that if they muck about then we walk but if you are sensible then we drive.
I had this once with a 5yrold and 3yrold, in the end i made sure no one was behind me jamed on the brakes which shocked them and told them if they didnt behave we would turn around and go home (it was a day out in the summer ) they soon behaved.

brightstar
09-10-2009, 12:24 PM
Well mum read the mindees the riot act, told them if their behaviour did not improve I would not look after them any more (her words, not mine) and that they wouldn't be able to come to my house to play anymore. She also threatened to leave them outside the school gate on her way to work at 7:30. She thought they had listened, but off they went again this morning, so without a word I abruptly pulled off the road, braking quite hard. Turned around and told them if they kept it up my next stop was Mammys work, where I would leave them there for her to sort out. Whether it was my words or my tone of voice, I was quite assertive, it worked. Lets hope it continues. Thanks for your advice.

The Juggler
09-10-2009, 12:50 PM

fab idea! I always say that to my dd when she won't get her shoes on or leave the house in the morning but think it would work wonders in this case. have a word with the head to give her a heads up so if you need to she will have a word with them if you are late one morning. once should do it.

Trouble
09-10-2009, 01:03 PM
i had this once and i stopped taking the car and made them walk in the rain:D explaining that i couldnt concentrate

after 2 weeks i took the car and they were angels

helenlc
09-10-2009, 03:58 PM
[QUOTE=mushpea;544974 in the end i made sure no one was behind me jamed on the brakes which shocked them and told them if they didnt behave we would turn around and go home (it was a day out in the summer ) they soon behaved.[/QUOTE]

I did this once - the person behind me kept tugging my seat belt back. So I slammed on the breaks and when they had recovered I said "Do you want to walk? If not quit messing about!"

The "person" was my 40 yr old brother in law!!!:laughing: :laughing: He was an angel for the rest of the journey!!!

I would try with the pulling over method first. If this doesnt work, threaten to walk but as someone else said you need to be prepared to carry this out if needs be.

Hope Mums chat has will help towards them behaving.:thumbsup:

helenlc
09-10-2009, 03:59 PM
=mushpea;544974 in the end i made sure no one was behind me jamed on the brakes which shocked them and told them if they didnt behave we would turn around and go home (it was a day out in the summer ) they soon behaved.

I did this once - the person behind me kept tugging my seat belt back. So I slammed on the breaks and when they had recovered I said "Do you want to walk? If not quit messing about!"

The "person" was my 40 yr old brother in law!!!:laughing: :laughing: He was an angel for the rest of the journey!!!

I would try with the pulling over method first. If this doesnt work, threaten to walk but as someone else said you need to be prepared to carry this out if needs be.

Hope Mums chat has will help towards them behaving.:thumbsup:

Chatterbox Childcare
09-10-2009, 04:09 PM
Put one in the front with you

Maguiresmonkeys
09-10-2009, 07:35 PM
I agree with the other posts about walking/ stopping and waiting for them to behave, etc.
Or would it be worth trying giving them something to do? E.G eye spy game/ count the red cars/ road sign spotting sheet/ following a map that they have made of the route to school....??? I dont have any that age so not sure if they would be up for that kind of thing?:blush: Failing that- sticky tape works a treat!:laughing:

Lady Haha
09-10-2009, 09:03 PM
Can't offer any advice other than that already given, but this happens to me alot. At least I don't have any littlies, they are all schoolies, so if they mess about after I've told them to stop, I just turn the radio up really loud and then what I can't hear doesn't bother me:D