PDA

View Full Version : Feeling Low

becki21
07-10-2009, 02:37 PM
Hi Everyone, I am feeling really low at the moment, I went through a hard registration, almost didn't get registered and have come through the other side. I started advertising at the beginning of September and so far had only had one enquiry, I am kind of thinking it is not worth it. The one enquiry I had didn't work out of the parent decided not to go back to work afterall. I dont understand why I am not getting any interest. I am the only childminder in my village, I have check my prices with other childminders nearest to me and do not charge any more. I have a large house with seperate playroom. I have advertised on all the village notice boards but just getting no response. Does anyone have any idea before I just decide quit.

chewy sweets
07-10-2009, 02:50 PM
Have you registered yourself on yell.com. It's free and i've had a lot of enquiries from there.
Register yourself on netmums??
Hang on in there. Enquiries are like buses once one comes they all come!!
I know it's hard if your running out of money(Trust me i know) But it would be such a shame to quit now!
Here's sending you some good luck vibes and hope the phone rings soon!:thumbsup:

grindal
07-10-2009, 02:53 PM
Hi
Sorry you are feeling bad about things at the moment. I registered back last year, but did not finish work until Christmas and I thought I was never gonna find any mindees, but i did. It just takes a bit of time. Are there any mum and toddler groups you can go to - or do you have your own children you take to playgroups or schools? Make sure you are on your local informed families site as well, and keep making amendments to your entry so you are always near the top. Dont know much about village life - am a North London girl, are there any big businesses near you that you can do any mail shots to?

CherryBlossom
07-10-2009, 10:09 PM
Keep on going-you will get something soon enough.
I hope you get 5 phone calls tomorrow!!
x

Daddy Day Care
07-10-2009, 11:01 PM
I know how you feel becki, ive been registered since june, and in all this time ive only had 1 paretn coem see me and she chose someone else.

Ive started to think maybe this isnt for me, but im gonig to keep at it for now and wait till new year before i make a decison.

Hope you get something soon

Gareth
xx

becki21
07-10-2009, 11:27 PM
Thanks for your support I think I will take a leaf out of your book Gareth and wait until the new year, if still nothing I shall rethink my options

Cazz
07-10-2009, 11:30 PM
Don't get disheartened - I'm sure you'll start to get enquiries soon.

I've had an enquiry from my Netmums advert and have arranged a visit for next week, so it's definetly worth advertising on sites such as that.

Sending good vibes that the phone will start ringing.

angeldelight
08-10-2009, 05:54 AM
Sorry to hear things are slow for you

Keep your chin up and hopefully you and everyone else will get some calls soon

Sending good luck vibes

Angel xxx

miffy
08-10-2009, 07:03 AM
Are there any mother and toddler groups or playgroups in the village? If there are could you do a leaflet and ask them to give it out to parents, also do the same at the local school.

If you have vacancies atm why not advertise some christmas shopping sessions - where mums can leave their children for a few hours whilst they shop? It might lead to something more.

Try not to get disheartened, things can turn around very quickly in this job.

Miffy xx

HomefromHome
08-10-2009, 07:06 AM
hi - it will come - it took me a while too - do you live en route to towns or business parks, schools or colleges??? - advertise further afield. use vistaprint to make up some business cards and send say 10 to businesses within a 10 mile radius for example...
hang in there x

PixiePetal
08-10-2009, 07:19 AM
I am in the same boat. Moved to a lovely farmhouse, big garden own playroom. Have been minding for 15 years and this is the first time I have been low on mindees (only 1, 2 days a week termtime - and he was already with me at old house). I will not give up, this is my career. Work comes in waves and it often picks up again in the new year.

Gareth hang on in there too, I don't know you personally but can tell from your chatty posts that you will be great at this job and your kids will love having you around all the time(while earning money:) )

ORKSIE
08-10-2009, 07:22 AM
Put adverts up wherever you can, corner shop, Library Toddler group, play group Etc

Hope it picks up soon :thumbsup:

Polly2
08-10-2009, 07:46 AM
I didn't have a single phone call for 6 months and then with in the next 6 I was full.

Please don't give up - get yourselves out there meeting people tell everyone you meet you are a child minder.

My first lo's were from places where I had met someone (toddler groups, shops, swimming, school gates etc) got chatting they liked me and remembered I was a cm. Then you get referals.

Also get yourself a website - I got 2 full timers just from my site.

Hang in there :thumbsup:

The Juggler
08-10-2009, 10:53 AM
hang in there becki and gareth. as well as advertising on netmums, look at the parent posts and reply to them. I always do that. don't give em a chance to get away with seeing someone else and not you!!!;)

helenlc
08-10-2009, 11:19 AM
Put an ad on Gumtree too in the Nanny and Babysitting bit. Its free. I have done that before and had an enquiry.

Make sure your details are always on the FIS list.

Drop into conversations with people about the fact that you are a childminder. I did this once with the lady on the till at Sainsburys and she took my card for her friend! It didnt come to anything but it might have or she might have passed it on to someone else.

Contact Brillminder on here - she does fab advertising bags with your details on. I have one and everyone always comments on it. (Go to members list near the top, then B).

As someone else said, approach the biggest employers in and around your area and the colleges too. Ask to put a poster up. Maybe an advert at the nearest train station or bus stops. I put one up in the newsagents next to our nearest station.

When I was quiet last year before Xmas I put my ad on Netmums and also said that I was willing to do a few hours so people could go shopping in peace. One of my LOs now started by just coming a couple of hours while Mum had job interviews - maybe you could offer that service too.

Give yourself a date to carry on til. But something will come along. I had one full timer and no other enquiries for over 6 months. Then 2 in a week who I signed and another 2 a few days later that I had to pass on to a friend. Then I stopped with the full timer and had an enquiry for his space the very next day.

buildingblocks
08-10-2009, 12:26 PM
Hi Everyone, I am feeling really low at the moment, I went through a hard registration, almost didn't get registered and have come through the other side.

Sorry to hear that you have had such a bad time getting registered but that makes it all the more important for you to not give up just yet as you obviously stuck at it to get here

I started advertising at the beginning of September and so far had only had one enquiry, I am kind of thinking it is not worth it. The one enquiry I had didn't work out of the parent decided not to go back to work afterall.

Think positive she didn't use you as she decided no to go back to work so you know it wasn't a problem with you or your setting

I dont understand why I am not getting any interest.

Things go in fits and starts with this business and I am sure there are many on here who will tell you they were in your position and a month later turning them away - not that that's any use to you at the moment I know

I am the only childminder in my village, I have check my prices with other childminders nearest to me and do not charge any more. I have a large house with seperate playroom. I have advertised on all the village notice boards but just getting no response. Does anyone have any idea before I just decide quit.

I would say that most of my business comes from the website I have. If you can't afford to pay for one - Pauline does some brilliant ones -set yourself up one with freewebs even if is just a simple one page one witih your name and phone number on and then go on all the free advertising sites and put your website on there.

Also another good way of advertising would be to have a top with your name and the fact you are a registered childminder on it. I have been approached no end due to my tops. I know money will possibly e an issue but my polo shirt was £10 I think from Aramanth on here and is the best £10 I spent. only this morning someone approached me at school for care third one this week - sadly haven't been able to help any

I hope you get some enquiries soon

becki21
10-10-2009, 12:40 AM
I just want to thank everyone for all their support and advice, I did say I would wait until christmas but I am getting nowhere so have decided to give up, I need to raise some money so I will be selling all my childminding related stuff, so please look in the for sale rection to see what I have

I am just adding a note to say I have just found out that becuase I am not an Amber member I cannot post items for sale, so just another kick in the teeth, guess I will try Ebay
Thanks

AvrilMJS
10-10-2009, 06:18 AM
Just read this thread and thought I would comment.

I am also newly registered. I gave up a high paid job in the oil industry to start up childminding as I needed to be home for my mum who has cancer. At times it will get you down but unfortunatley these things don't happen overnight, which is something my good old mum has said to me a few times now. Two weeks ago I was at my lowest no pennies in the bank and only 1 baby on day a week. I gave myself till the end of next month before I should really panic, I started applying for part time jobs just incase, however I now have a fair few afterschooler children so things are picking up. But it can be a slow process, I hope you reconsider, if money is tight perhaps get an evening job just to tide you over untill you get calls.

Good luck either way.

Ave x

The Juggler
10-10-2009, 07:44 AM
Just read this thread and thought I would comment.

I am also newly registered. I gave up a high paid job in the oil industry to start up childminding as I needed to be home for my mum who has cancer. At times it will get you down but unfortunatley these things don't happen overnight, which is something my good old mum has said to me a few times now. Two weeks ago I was at my lowest no pennies in the bank and only 1 baby on day a week. I gave myself till the end of next month before I should really panic, I started applying for part time jobs just incase, however I now have a fair few afterschooler children so things are picking up. But it can be a slow process, I hope you reconsider, if money is tight perhaps get an evening job just to tide you over untill you get calls.

Good luck either way.

Ave x

Brave decision especially from a high salary. Love to you and your mum.

Becki if you are really decided, approach the local children's centre. you might find they know newly reg minders who would be delighted to find some appropriate minding stuff from a local minder. You might even be able to sell it job lot.

Netmums do free board for stuff for sale too. sorry to hear you're leaving us.