PDA

View Full Version : Kitten & mindees?

harrysgirl
07-10-2009, 12:26 PM
Hi
I have just offered to re-home a kitten from a friend...it is all a bit last minute as kitten is arriving in the next couple of days!
I have never owned a cat before, but feel it would provide not only a lot of pleasure but be a good 'learning curve' for my children to help care for it.

Apart from the 'hygiene' side of things - handwashing, & litter tray and feeding bowls out the way as much as possible (although the litter tray which is a 'state of the art' covered version will have to go in the utility room by the back door where the children leave their shoes/bags etc I guess I will just have to educate them what it is for and not to touch it?) - is there anything else I need to do regarding the mix of kitten & mindees especially regarding Ofsted, parents etc.??
Any advice would be gratefully received :)

HomefromHome
07-10-2009, 12:54 PM
i rehomed 2 4 month old kittens back in august! basically i just got on with it. i made sure the litter tray was out of the way (youre also covered by the fact you're with the kids anyway) and as they got bigger use the ones that are covered witha door flap (little kittens will find these impossible to use at first). their food is on the bottom shelf of the tele stand pushed back - tbh we out most mornings then lunch then sleep - it's only that last couple of hrs on the odd day we dont go shops/park/back garden! i think as long as you have made steps to ensure children are safe and aware then you should be fine.

if you're still worried and can afford it get a large dog cage to put it in - then have supervised access/play - might be wise with sucha young one plus it will get used to the hustle and bustle quicker as it will see whats going on...
hope this helps - sorry a bit rambly:D

Mrs.L.C
07-10-2009, 01:01 PM
The children will constantly be picking the kitten up, which is fine, as long as you teach them how to do it so not to hurt the kitten otherwise the child may get scratched/bitten. I let the children handle the cats all the time (we have 3 now all from kittens) and they never scratch/bite. Iv had the baby pull their tales (although you relaly have to try and stop this asap) but luckily its not bothered any of the cat

Ofsted will want to see that the kitten has all its immunisations and boosters which are done yearly

sounds like you have thought about the rest so enjoy the new addition

HomefromHome
07-10-2009, 01:04 PM
Ofsted will want to see that the kitten has all its immunisations and boosters which are done yearly

ofsted never asked to see mine! as long as you confirm that they are then thats enough (this is what i was told by the way! as i have quite a menagerie) - all i've done is a form/chart and tick and date when each animal has been vaccinated and wormed. :D

Blackhorse
07-10-2009, 01:05 PM
having a kitten round you and the kids will get scratched...through play..when I was little I was covered in little scraches from our cats...not sore ones or bleeding one's but you can still tell.

you need to make sure parents will be aware of that and the kids too.
the kids need to know how to play nicely with the cat and how to hold it properly.
also, the cat needs a place of its own where it can retreat to and hide and have a good long sleep.
and a quietish place for eating out of the mindees way

you can probably also expect some accidents from the cat...some kittens are really good with their toilet others need to learn..
I had several and for one it took a few weeks to train her properly and I had pee allover the place. so just be aware of look out for it and be armed with cleaning and desinfectent stuff.

the kitten will have to get it's vaccinations too unless it already has them

but overall it will be lots of fun for you and all the kids..
I LOVE KITTENS!!
I believe it is very benefitial for kids to grow up around animals!!!! they can learn so much....how to handle them..respect them...care for them...and have lots and lots of fun with them!!

Let us know how you get on!

harrysgirl
07-10-2009, 03:25 PM
Thank you all so much for your help & advice....you've mentioned a few points that I hadn't thought of so thank you!
The vaccination tick chart is a good idea. I also hadn't really thought of being aware of the little 'accidents' too, although I have just started the process of toilet-training my little one so am armed with a cloth & disinfectant ready to clear up any 'puddles' at most points throughout the day anyway! :laughing:

The kitten has spent 4 months with a breeder who has 5 children!! so hopefully should be used to being handled/chased/tail pulled etc..! & she teaches them not to put their claws out other than on the scratching post...hence my decision to take this particular kitten on as I would have my reservations taking it on worrying about both the children getting sctratched & the kitten being too stressed in my setting. Fingers crossed I'm right!!

I totally agree...I think it will be very beneficial for the children to experience caring for & respecting an animal...I will let you know how we all get on!! ;)

Joannechildmind
07-10-2009, 04:26 PM
remember to get kitten wormed and flee'd on a regular basis too. :)

I love kittens and cats :)

haribo
07-10-2009, 04:33 PM
i love kittens! i`d just make sure the kids dont have unsupervised access to it -to protect the kitten as much as the kids :eek:

mushpea
07-10-2009, 05:56 PM
we have a kitten, got her middle of september, we have a big dog cage to keep her in because i didnt want her getting outside before her jabs and our back door was constantly open in the good weather, it also means that the litter tray is at the back of the cage so the mindees cant get to it, she is let out when they are here and they are told that they can stroke and play with her but to remember that kittens can scratch so to be careful and gentle and they are NOT allowed to pick her up nor are they allowed to chase her , so far they have all been really good, this could be because they all have cats of their own accept one little 10 month old.
the other reason for the cage was because we have a labrador and i didnt want to leave them toghether alone to begin with but he has been great with her and they now sleep in the same bed together!!