PDA

View Full Version : Confidentiality

cherry
28-02-2008, 10:27 PM
Advise please.

I know when you write an accident report you are not supposed to name the child that was involved in the incident other than the child that was hurt and who's parents signature you require, so when you write the diarys are you allowed to say that "little johnny enjoyed playing with jack and sarah"

I am making any sense?

Tily Bud
28-02-2008, 10:31 PM
I really dont see that there is a problem with putting things like that it's not like you are telling anyone anything private or confidential about the other children, most parents will know the names of the other children in your setting ( or at least i hope so :rolleyes: ) xx

smartypants
28-02-2008, 10:33 PM
I don't think its a problem naming our children they are playing with in daily diaries..

Angela234
28-02-2008, 10:34 PM
I do its nice for the the parents to know who the children played with your not saying anything about the child other than they played with your child or what they played with.

Angela

angeldelight
28-02-2008, 10:36 PM
All my parents know all the children anyway and chat to them sometimes and to each other

I couldnt hide it

Angel xx

Lou
28-02-2008, 10:44 PM
All my parents know all the children anyway and chat to them sometimes and to each other

I couldnt hide it

Angel xx

Ditto xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Annie_T
29-02-2008, 12:30 AM
i cant see this as a problem, when my kids were at playschool they had diarys and staff wrote who they played with... it nice to see what kids mine were involved with etc

miffy
29-02-2008, 05:04 AM

I couldnt hide it

Angel xx

Same here

Miffy xx

oakie dokie
29-02-2008, 06:49 AM
i write names too, i think its taking confidentiality a little too far.

hazelx

cherry
29-02-2008, 07:30 AM
Thats what I thought, thanks everyone :thumbsup:

LittleMissSparkles
29-02-2008, 09:56 AM
at college last night the subject was confidentiality and we had a stand in tutor as June was away on a course, she was crap we basically took the class for her ! Anyway we questioned this and also if say one child has hit another for example you could nt say to one mum ooh little jimmy hit your son today youd have to say there was an incident otday and your child was hit by another child..... not much good if theres only 2 children there doesnt take a genius to work it out who other child would be !!!

sorry im waffling arent I... cant even remember what I was trying to say .......

sarah707
29-02-2008, 10:21 AM
I actually say, in my confidentiality policy, that while I do strive to maintain confidentiality at all times, there is only so much I can do if I am only looking after 2 children and one has nits or there is a behaviour incident. :D

Banana
29-02-2008, 10:27 AM
I wasnt aware it was a problem parents knowing if there was an incident between 2 children you couldnt say which 2

whoops

xx

Heaven Scent
29-02-2008, 11:00 AM
I have been through this so many times over the years and the powers that be have always told me I couldn't identify the children so I just put the other childs initial and thats that and have told students to do the same-cache or Ed excel would go mad if there was a name on the paperwork or a face on a photo and ofsted used to go mad about the same when I was working in schools and nurseries however when I went to meeting, seminars and confrences a great many people said how much more rewarding a photo is if you can see the childs expression you can tell so much more about the photo and the situation. Anyway I'd just use the initail and add Sarahnev's clause to your policy and then you are covered and the parents of the injured child will still know who bit or kicked their little jonny and will still have the satisfaction of giving them bulls lucks every time they see him/her - I hope not really!!!!!!

Celine:idea:

susi513
29-02-2008, 12:16 PM
Having found another childminder's daily diary on the floor at school with lots of children's names mentioned in it, it occurred to me that some of the parents I have worked with would not be at all happy if anything about their child was read by anyone except themselves or Ofsted.

Most of the parents I work with couldn't care less about that sort of thing and are far more relaxed, but to avoid upsetting anyone I chose to stop including other child's names and follow the local preschool's example. I noted that my child's preschool records & obs always referred to "the other child" and never mentioned anyone's name but my own child. So I've continued to do the same.

The parents who the diary is intended for know who is present with their children and know who I'm referring to whether I include the names or not - but if the diary does get read by anyone else I can't be accused of not respecting the right to confidentiality.

flora
29-02-2008, 12:42 PM
I wasnt aware it was a problem parents knowing if there was an incident between 2 children you couldnt say which 2

whoops

xx

I think I need to pay more attention!!!! As said confidentiality is paramount but I only have four kids, normally all at the same time, so if one knows about something they all do. All but the youngest would tell their mum in a heartbeat if one of the others hit/ teased or generally did anything they didn't like. Supposed the difference is that it's coming from their child and not from us??

Pauline
29-02-2008, 12:50 PM
so when you write the diarys are you allowed to say that "little johnny enjoyed playing with jack and sarah"

I think you've had some great answers to your original question so won't answer that but could I just make a comment on what you said you would like to write in the diary?

I know it perhaps sounds petty and I don't want to sound that way, but (particularly during observations) you should not really say things like "little Johnny enjoyed" because it is making an assumption that he enjoyed it when really you don't know if he did or not.

It's ok to say "he appeared to enjoy" because that is part of your observation.

Sorry to sound picky but it might help to avoid be picked up on it by Ofsted. :)

allinatiz
29-02-2008, 01:02 PM
Wow Pauline, I had no idea they would pick up on something like that!

I've just realised I've written my own daughters name on my mindees accident form, would I be picked up on this or do you think it would be ok as it's my own daughter? :doh:

Pauline
29-02-2008, 01:05 PM
Wow Pauline, I had no idea they would pick up on something like that!

I've just realised I've written my own daughters name on my mindees accident form, would I be picked up on this or do you think it would be ok as it's my own daughter? :doh:

The best thing would be to just say "another child" from now on and then if they did mention it you could say that you used to do it that way but realised that it is not good practice and don't name children now.

It shows that you are constantly reviewing your own practices and procedures!! :)

Heaven Scent
29-02-2008, 01:10 PM
Good point Pauline I always struggled with this when doing observations with my student - bear in mind they were all usually under 18 and they just couldn't see the difference.

Depends on how petty or how well she reads each individual piece of paperwork or what her pet hate or like is if the inspector is if she pulls you up on something like that.

You could always say that you were ensuring that parents realised that you weren't trying to hide your childs involvement because they might accuse you of trying to hide things. does that make sense. Just be ready with an answer - says she bravely - once I get that call you'll be able to hear my heart beating and my bones rattling (even through all my fat) all over the country it will sound like another earthquake.:)

Celine

HilaryT
29-02-2008, 01:20 PM
Hi,

I know what you mean regarding making observations, I was on a recent EYFS training morning and we were asked to make observations about the children and their activities. We all said similar things about enjoying, sharing, etc. and the trainer said no, only report what you see the child actually doing, not adding details about feelings. I now make my obs so obvious it seems daft!

Hilary

Banana
29-02-2008, 02:39 PM
I know it perhaps sounds petty and I don't want to sound that way, but (particularly during observations) you should not really say things like "little Johnny enjoyed" because it is making an assumption that he enjoyed it when really you don't know if he did or not.

It's ok to say "he appeared to enjoy" because that is part of your observation.

Oh my goodness.

Well I better stop writing this then. Generally if a child was laughing and entertained by an activity and you could clearly see them enjoying themselves you would think it ok to write this.

Feel like there is always something that needs changing/looking at/or that isnt being done right.

Oh well,back to the drawing board for me

xx

sarah707
29-02-2008, 03:07 PM
Parents want to know if their child is having fun while they are with you - that's what they ask for when you take them on isn't it...? They want to know their child is happy and plays with other children in a fun and caring way. They want to know their child has a good day and is emotionally secure. They also need to be reassured that we offer a safe environment emotionally where children can express a range of emotions and have these acknowledged by caring adults.

I could make a very good case, therefore, for showing emotions in observations to follow parents wishes :D

Schnakes
29-02-2008, 08:19 PM
Totally agree Sarah. I think its lawyer speak...the accused child A was seen by two eyewitnesses, Child B and Child C, smiling, laughing, and clapping their hands in what can only be described as "glee". (Ofsted hastily marches to judges bench) "Objection your honour!!! That is supposistion on the childminders part!"...

Sx

crazybones
29-02-2008, 08:26 PM
Totally agree Sarah. I think its lawyer speak...the accused child A was seen by two eyewitnesses, Child B and Child C, smiling, laughing, and clapping their hands in what can only be described as "glee". (Ofsted hastily marches to judges bench) "Objection your honour!!! That is supposistion on the childminders part!"...

Sx

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Annie x