PDA

View Full Version : chicken pox

charliegee
06-10-2009, 12:32 PM
Hello all

my niece (who as been playing with my LO all over the weekend) has suspectied chicken pox (she had a slight rash over weekend but looked like a heat rash type thing....nothing out of the ordinary - she's really poorly and spotty now my SIL says! poor thing!)

My LO (touch wood!) is fine although I'm worried that LO may get it and naturally as a result what this means for my CM setting

I'm in the settling in period for all my contracts (final one to go to proper contract from mid november)

what does this mean if my LO catches it?

I've taken big deposits and charged the month in advance

any advise would be great

xxx

youarewhatyoueat
06-10-2009, 12:46 PM
Depends what you've got in your contract, if my children get it I give the parents the choice whether they send their child if they decide not to I don't charge but if their child is away with an illness even if they caught it from mine then they are charged full as normal and I won't let them attend. Its all written in the contract though.
I start all mindees on a full contract but I state for the first 2 weeks that we both have only to give a days notice if were not happy or circumstances change.

MissTinkerbell
06-10-2009, 12:48 PM
My own twins had chicken pox just after Xmas. I phoned all my mindees parents and told them that they'd got it. I said that I was still open as my children were OK and that as its infectious before the spots occur they had probably already been exposed, they were still welcome to send them but it was up to them. I did explain that if they did decide to keep them away then I would still charge because I was still open.

They were all quite happy to still send their children - 2 had already had chicken pox and the 3rd hadn't but mum was quite happy to still send her.

The mindee did get chicken pox and I still looked after her because my policy states that they only need to stay at home for 5 days, if off colour or with a temp and provided all parents in agreement.

charliegee
06-10-2009, 12:53 PM
ah thanks everyone

if my LO did get chicken pox -with regards to having parents in agreement....

say I had children x and y....x attends on a monday and y on a tuesday....

if x says they don't want child to attend...but y is okay attending knowing my LO has chicken pox....can I still have y?

ie charge x for not attending as space is technically open?

ie - do all parents have to agree to sending their child for me to open - or does it not matter if they are on different days?

x

FussyElmo
06-10-2009, 12:57 PM
Yes you can still have Y as long as Y's mum is happy with sending her. As concerning X depends on what you have on your contract. I wouldnt charge for the place as mine state cm's sickness (I include my lo's in this)then no pay.

charliegee
06-10-2009, 01:23 PM
thanks everyone - you always help me so much!

just another quickie...(promise!)

just to check - so if you own LO has chicken pox, is past the worst (health protection I see say after 5 days fine to attend setting) and you are happy to open - if you charge if child doesn't attend on a day setting is open...you are okay to charge and explain setting open so parents choice not to attend?

what if mindee subsequently caught chicken pox from my LO? seems hard to explain they can attend...but if their LO catches it (even from my child) they have to stay away until they are better / scabs have formed?

xxx

MissTinkerbell
06-10-2009, 03:03 PM
I think its up to you if you have mindee or not. My mindee caught CP off my own children and I had her from the moment the spots appeared because she was well in herself and mine had already had it, as had the other 2 mindees. Had she been unwell I would have advised that they keep her at home for the 5 days. All children vary in how they are with CP, it just depends.

madasahatter
06-10-2009, 06:05 PM
In my sickness policy it obviously states that children should be off until the spots have scabbed over but I do tell parents that if all my other parents are ok with it then I will accept a child back early, as long as they are not 'ill'. In other words they need to be running around and eating etc normally and not need dosing up with calpol etc.
As the incubation period includes at least a week before the spots come out then all my other mindees would have been in contact anyway. In 12 years not one parent has refused to send their child or said that they would rather I didn't look after the child with chicken pox. The usual response from parents is 'good, maybe they'll get it over and done with this time'.
You do need to take account of any children that may have underlying medical conditions that may necessitate avoiding chicken pox and also the fact that it can cause complications in early or late pregnancy.

Also if any of my mindees do have chicken pox we avoid all the normal outings to toddler groups etc, though they still have to do the school runs.