PDA

View Full Version : activity planning for 2 under 2 for ofsted inspection

mozarella
06-10-2009, 11:30 AM
Although I have already all my october planning sorted, most of the " challenging and invloved " activities are done when my after school mindee is back so everybody can get invloved. I have a 14 month old and a 2 year old who both do not speak at all.

Any ideas for an activity which would be good for inspection , appart from coloring, story telling, shape sorting or puzzles. I usually fill the morning by going to play group or rhyme time but because of inspection I will be at home and then in the afternoon they both sleep for a good 2 hours.

Thanks for your help

Moz

Winnie
06-10-2009, 11:35 AM
I did foam with mindees at my inspection, they are almost the same age as yours. They also enjoy gloop and finger painting and will happily play with it for ages. You could do music making or singing.

Mrs.L.C
06-10-2009, 11:40 AM
singing/sond cds and let the children choose the toys to play with and play along with them talking about what you are doing - farm is a good one to have out as you can do animal sounds with them which they may pick up on & start copying
Good luck with inspection

carebear25
06-10-2009, 11:45 AM
1 thing my inspector said to me was I didnt let them do child led activities while she was there which is quite hard to do especially when I had 1 crying an I was distracting him an the other 2 followed suit..

Ripeberry
06-10-2009, 12:04 PM
So basically they want us to watch the child(ren) and see what they want to do and then join in with them? This is what I usually do with my 13month old mindee. He goes to a toy or activity and 'grunts' whilst looking at me, for me to join him.
No way am I singing in front of an Ofsted inspector! :eek: :laughing:

carebear25
06-10-2009, 12:09 PM
I didnt wanna sing in front of mine but u wil find they wil join in......

Rubybubbles
06-10-2009, 12:12 PM
without being funny, I think you should do what you would normally:) Don't do something just because Ofted are coming!

let the children make choices in what they play, and if asked talk about how you help follow this on!

I got told on my inspection I plan too much!! and it has made my life so much easier using the guidance she gave me

Mrs.L.C
06-10-2009, 12:19 PM
just go with the flow - if the child is not sure about free play or is getting upset then have something to mind that you can do to distract the child or to encourage them to play

When I had my last inspection (3 years ago now) we had already made a train track (what 1 of the children chose) but as soon as Mrs Ofsted arrived the children did get a little unsettled so I started to find people from the small world toy box and asked the children if they wanted to have a look and from then they got people out, trees, small world house and school and the farm and then go then aquar draw out

grindal
06-10-2009, 12:26 PM
I got out my treasure basket. We played with the bits and bobs in it and talked about the shapes, colours, textures and feel of the things. Then we tried to roll them down a big cardboard tube then we used some water and the aqua draw mat and made shapes of the things in the treasure basket and hands and feet and stuff! Both of mine were under 2 at the time

The Juggler
06-10-2009, 01:26 PM
I would have treasure basket stuff, smallworld play out. So it s a set up area/activity but is totally child led.

Water play would be good. I stayed away from a structured activity so she could see the children want and do choose their play for most of the time and that she could see they knew how to access and find what they wanted.

LOL

youarewhatyoueat
06-10-2009, 03:39 PM
After free play with music on,hand washing time(seperate towels)healthy snack time sat up to the table, could then become mark making at the table, good time to offer a cup of coffee and chat, then a sit down with books to show diversity and use of words etc. and then freeplay again so you can join in or watch and explain why youre watching and not interfering. I also have a list of key words to remind me of things I could do or say,I stick it to a kitchen cupboard, I have a bad memory and always think of things to say afterwards and it saves any awkward silences. Good luck