PDA

View Full Version : A few questions about my first day tomorrow ...

Stanfield
05-10-2009, 08:40 PM
Hi,

I have a parent coming tomorrow for a couple of hours before she leaves her son with me for our first full day together.

My questions are ...

Do I get her to sign the visitors book? He is my only mindee, so I don't feel she should have to, and would feel a bit silly getting her to really ...

With my daily checklist (morning house checks, cleaning etc), do I have to visibly check these off? Or can I just run down the list in my head?

Am I ok to go "free flow" with play for a couple of weeks as long as I make observations on the child? As I donot know his interests yet, it seems pointless to plan for no real reason ...

And a really silly one ... how much do you chop up a 15month old's food (I can't remember with my first) and can they have say a chunk of apple?:blush:

I'm dreading tomorrow as my 6month old has a bad cold, loosing his voice and really needy at the moment, I just hope this little boy settles OK and doesnot need a lot of one on one tomorrow as I only have one pair of hands and won't know what to do?! Also I still breastfeed, and not sure how this is going to go down if the little boy needs lots of attention??:(

Thanks for the help ...:thumbsup:

singlewiththree
05-10-2009, 08:47 PM
Hi,

I have a parent coming tomorrow for a couple of hours before she leaves her son with me for our first full day together.

My questions are ...

Do I get her to sign the visitors book? He is my only mindee, so I don't feel she should have to, and would feel a bit silly getting her to really ...
I sign mine for them to avoid embarassement and then only use it on minding days so in this case I wouldn't as no other children

With my daily checklist (morning house checks, cleaning etc), do I have to visibly check these off? Or can I just run down the list in my head?
I think Ofsted like to actually see it. I have an A5 book with the list at the front and then just date it and put extras in it

Am I ok to go "free flow" with play for a couple of weeks as long as I make observations on the child? As I donot know his interests yet, it seems pointless to plan for no real reason ...
You can't really plan for a child you don't really know. I would do starting point observations and free flow for a while so the child can settle in

And a really silly one ... how much do you chop up a 15month old's food (I can't remember with my first) and can they have say a chunk of apple?:blush:
I have one that age and just chop into wedges or fours for an apple.

Thanks for the help ...:thumbsup:

Hope that helps

Stanfield
05-10-2009, 08:51 PM
Thankyou ... manically trying to finish printing and arranging policies in order to sign contract tomorrow now ...:panic:

TheBTeam
05-10-2009, 08:58 PM
Relax and enjoy it, i think we panic far too much and it isn't half as bad when we relax, i am trying to take my own advice, because everytime i see it would have worked.

Not much to add by way of advice, think initially i would chop food smaller than i thought and then go larger when you have seen how they cope, i have three just two year olds who are all reluctant to bite chunks of apple and like more bite size pieces, this in itself can cause the problem of them putting too much in their mouths.

I dont get parents of minded children to sign the visitors log, or other childminders that visit, i do get friends with no connection to minding to sign if they visit on rare occasions during minded hours, i get any workmen to sign, such as the electric man who changed my meter. I don't get the man who comes to read the meter to sign as he doesn't get past the hall way and anywhere near the mindees for the minute it takes.

Good luck and have a great day.

jelly15
05-10-2009, 09:42 PM
Hope tommorow goes well. :)

Demonjill
05-10-2009, 10:12 PM
Just wanted to say good luck for tomorrow - hope all goes well :thumbsup:

angeldelight
06-10-2009, 05:48 AM
Good luck for today hope you enjoy it

Angel xx

miffy
06-10-2009, 06:38 AM
Just wanted to wish you good luck

Let us know how it goes!

Miffy xx

mandy moo
06-10-2009, 09:06 AM
Just cathing up on post hopeyou have a great day,
good luck :D

chels55
06-10-2009, 09:12 AM
Let us know how it goes. Its really nerve wracking for the first few days

Stanfield
06-10-2009, 06:12 PM
Well, we had a brilliant first day.
Apart from my baby being poorly, I don't think it could have gone better.
Did sooo much this morning before they came ... Shower and hairwash, breakfast, fitting car seats, arranging car / home insurance, sorting paperwork, and even a spot of DIY to attach my notice board to the wall which arrived in the post 15mins before they were duue to arrive!:clapping:

It was hard work first thing as mum had been too busy for settling in sessions, so I offered her to stay for a while this morning ... 3 hours later she left:eek: !!!! I completely understand and I would have probably been the same, but it just hard knowing your every move is being watched and judged!
When she left, her 15month old didn't bat an eyelid, and we bonded really well.

Got him to sleep later, he cried in his cot for 2 mins; then me, being the soft touch, thought I would go and get him as I didn't want him to have a bad experience the first day. When I got up there, he was actually asleep standing up and dropped to the floor of the cot infront of me!:littleangel:

Eating and playing all went well, and he and my two boys all get on like a house on fire (I dread when he finds his feet, they will be conspiring against me!)

Hope tomorrow goes just as well...:thumbsup:

sarah707
06-10-2009, 06:20 PM
Great news, well done you! :clapping:

SandCastles
06-10-2009, 07:48 PM
Glad you had a good day

Stanfield
06-10-2009, 07:59 PM
Oh and I have learn't somthing new today ... to make sandwiches for myself in the morning, even though I am going nowhere, as I just really didn't have time for myself today. Luckily for me, my son left half his chicken dinner which I gobbled by the bin, pretending to throw it away!!!:blush:

So I have JUST managed to sit down and i'm thinking about chucking some baked beans in the microwave as I am pooped, after putting my own two to bed and cleaning my entire downstairs living room, mopping and cleaning sides in kitchen, and a deep clean in the toilet (how long will that last!!:rolleyes: ) Going to eat my beans infront of the TV (really naughty of me but I think I deserve it!) My husband is home late tonight (parents evening) but luckily (not for him) he has had a tooth out today and can't eat so I don't have to cook him tea!!!!:p

I am so enthusiastic ... roll on tomorrow!!!

Oh and even doing me SEF this weekend as I actually phoned OFSTED to request an inspection as I may only have this boy in the short term and I am well overdue one and would like my grade!!! (Am I Crazy?!):panic:

TheBTeam
06-10-2009, 09:14 PM
No, not in the least bit crazy, once it is done you know it is out of the way and they are restricted to what they can give you without minded children present.

Glad all went well and long may it continue, it will get less hard work, i too somedays used to make myself a sandwich in the morning, but it does get easier and you will probably find that you can do it during the day while preparing other lunches or while the children are eating theirs.

My problem helped itself when my dh started to work with me too!:laughing:

Daddy Day Care
06-10-2009, 09:19 PM
Glad today went so well for you hope tomorrow goes just as well :)

Gareth
xx

LOOPYLISA
06-10-2009, 09:22 PM
Glad it went well, enjoy your beans :D

Stanfield
06-10-2009, 09:24 PM
Glad it went well, enjoy your beans :D

Oh ... I had tinned tomatos on toast instead but then my little baby started to cry so rushed upstairs to him, the toaster got stuck and set all the alarms off in the house waking my other little boy too!!! Nevermind, hubby bought me some chocolate biscuits in as a treat so I am happily scoffing those!:clapping: